1. Autos

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Basem Wasef

2 Wheels + 160 mph + School Zone = 3 Years of Lockup

By August 24, 2007

2006 Honda CBR 600 F4i

According to NBC, a 20 year-old Mesa, Arizona motorcyclist was recently sentenced to three years in prison for riding his 2006 Honda CBR 600 through a school zone and crosswalk at speeds over 160 mph. Enforcement officials first spotted the ex-racer traveling at roughly 140 mph through morning rush hour traffic, and a 30 minute pursuit ended with a foot chase that resulted in the man's arrest. Apparently, his history of reckless driving and riding under a suspended license didn't help his argument in court.

Is this a case of motorcycle prejudice, or was justice served? Share your thoughts by commenting.

Photo Honda
Comments
August 24, 2007 at 8:05 pm
(1) David Kennard says:

He should have gotten 10-20 years. I ride and I know that speed+children=death. That man should be kept from a bike for life

August 24, 2007 at 8:15 pm
(2) pos says:

It’s riders like that who give all riders a bad rap.Not enough jail time.

August 25, 2007 at 10:30 am
(3) NeauxRegard says:

You cannot change STUPID, only delay the end result. Need to end that gene pool now!

August 25, 2007 at 10:49 am
(4) savstone says:

THIS GUY SHOULD NEVER RIDE AGAIN!!!

August 25, 2007 at 5:31 pm
(5) Pat says:

If it were up to me he would never get out.

August 25, 2007 at 10:46 pm
(6) Biker says:

He should get the s*** kicked out of him, by EVERY PARENT that has a child in that school, and then put into prison until he is too old to ride anymore!! What an IDIOT HE IS!!!!

August 25, 2007 at 11:22 pm
(7) rob says:

The pursuit ended in a foot chase, so you say. That is “resisting arrest”, a criminal offense, punishable with jail time. The speeding, whether speeding through cemetaries or school zones, speeding tickets are only moving violations punishable with points and fines…

August 26, 2007 at 1:04 pm
(8) Gorloth says:

A motor chase is still resisting arrest. Excessive speeding in itself is not only a moving violation, but considered wreckless driving. Wreckless driving is a misdermeanor crimal offense. Either way this guy is a real moron. He put alot of people at risk. There wouldn’t be time for an adult to react to him coming at you much less a child. That guy should be locked up and never ride again.

August 26, 2007 at 1:13 pm
(9) fleable says:

What are you talking about “rob”? Points and fines? What about dying and being dead? What about the children in Singapore who aren’t allowed to ride their little motorcycles in the square with the adults?
You have alot of thinking to do “rob”! There are consequences for the things you do in life. From the simple way a bad hotdog can sentence you to hours on the bowl, speeding through life without watching for children an puppies is wrong. And also “rob” you should know that dogs are poeple. If they cannot talk is completely irrellevent. Little dogs and baby chickens too! rob!

August 27, 2007 at 1:13 am
(10) Scottie says:

If this guy shares a cell with Michael Vick the cell will have a total IQ of nearly 60

August 27, 2007 at 5:02 am
(11) ray says:

160 on a cbr600 f4i? the bike pictured with this article? *highly* unlikely.

85, perhaps?

August 27, 2007 at 10:23 am
(12) Hagledesperado says:

He should never get his licence back. Next time he’s observed operating a vehicle bigger than a pair of roller skates, he should automatically get 6 years, the next time 12 years, then 24 years, and so on. In an ideal world…

August 27, 2007 at 1:36 pm
(13) Pat says:

Never, never allow him to have a m/c license again

August 28, 2007 at 11:48 am
(14) Rockin Scotty says:

Has everyone forgotten what it’s like to be 20 (I’m now 43)? Pay the fine, give him 6 months for the chase and be done with it, he’ll grow up. Btw…dogs are people…not according to my bible. Exactly why do they make street legal bikes that go 200 mph? Youth + Temptation = exactly what happen, why is everyone so surprised.

August 28, 2007 at 12:25 pm
(15) Butch says:

Speed isn’t the problem as much as idiots on crotch rockets doing stunts. To stop it they should write everyone in a group on the road doing stunts for wreckless driving even if only one of the group is doing stunts. Most ride more normal when riding solo, but as soon as they are in a group they have to try to impress each other. They should also have seperate license classes from the smaller cc up to the largest, new license for each 300 cc raise in bike size might work.

August 28, 2007 at 1:12 pm
(16) ladyridah says:

Wow…how horrific the outcome could have been. Thank God for our law enforcments doing their job. I ride a crotch and every now & then I see these younger folks trying to get me to “wheelie” “stand-it-up-girl” they yell at me…. MY RESPONSE IS ALWAYS THE SAME… U R EITHER ON DRUGS OR DRINKING HEAVILY…NO WAY AM I HURTING MYSELF OR my BIKE…WE BOTH ARE LIKE.. WAAAYY TO PRETTY…

August 29, 2007 at 12:27 am
(17) Fndrbndr says:

This is the guy I have to prove I’m not every time I tell someone I own a Ninja. I was 20 once, and it wasn’t too long ago. Let’s not confuse being 20 years old with having an IQ of 20.

August 29, 2007 at 10:41 am
(18) Madsen says:

That kid is a fool, its a good way to learn a lesson the hard way. He needs to see what happens when a bike runs that fast and what one looks like agter it crashes and better yet talk to a few survivors of fast bike crashes.

August 29, 2007 at 10:59 am
(19) Deacon says:

We can only hope that he had to be heavily subdued at the end of the foot chase. Also, I guess that since it came down to a foot chase he dumped the bike…probably unintentionaly.

August 29, 2007 at 11:09 am
(20) aszekely says:

I love to ride into work every now and then and I always seem to witness a fellow rider who thinks the shoulder is his/ her personal lane, not to mention that their speed is usually in excess of the limit and I always say to myself that they’re riding on borrowed time. But, to traunce thru a school zone with pedestrians at over 100mph is reckless endangerment to public saftety and he should have been sentenced for attempted manslughter to himself and the kids in the area. I hope he gets ridden as hard in prison as he did on the street!

August 29, 2007 at 11:48 am
(21) Rootbear says:

160 mph in rush hour traffic has to be an urban myth. No school or road designer is going to put a crosswalk anywhere near a location that is long enough for that kind of speed to be built up or maintained. Drop the first digit please.

August 29, 2007 at 12:18 pm
(22) Paul says:

Just like most of the comments, this guy needed some jail time. He would be washing police motorcycles in the hot sun during that time. And yes running from the police in some states is a felony in it’s self with min 3 yrs. Oh and by the way, that motorcycle will do that with minor modes and the right area. Yes this guy cared nothing for himself or anyone else. Hope enjoys prison. Also I agree on the IQ thing also. The only question which one of the two made it so high.

August 29, 2007 at 12:33 pm
(23) RAY says:

This is clearly unfair. A repetitive drunk driver who has much more potential to kill is let off on probation and some testosterone kid gets three years. How about pernanent suspecsion of his bike license and probation for 5 years. Don’t get me wrong , this guy makes it bad for all cyclists and never mind the tragedy if he hit someone, but their needs to be a level playing field.

August 29, 2007 at 1:42 pm
(24) John says:

It sounds like he was well known in the law enforcement community. After he serves his time, all of his time!!! The Division of Motor Vehicles in his state would be doing the public a great service by suspending his operating priviliges for life.

August 29, 2007 at 2:17 pm
(25) laredokid says:

He should never have a bike again.
Lose his lisc for 5 years. Perform community service for 5 years.

August 29, 2007 at 3:17 pm
(26) Shed says:

The guy is a repeat offender, but it seems a steep sentance. Consider the time or lack of it drivers get who kill motorcyclist.

August 29, 2007 at 6:16 pm
(27) Stan Rosen says:

We all get painted with the same brush. Many of us try to earn he respect of the cagers and the public everytime we throw a leg over our ride.
Being young and brash is no excuse for putting the lives of others in jeopardy. It was a speeding violastion but it could have been much worse. Perhaps he’ll understand the meaning of responsibility better if and when he rejoins us on the road.

August 29, 2007 at 8:47 pm
(28) c kammler says:

I’m a 30 year Police Officer, 35 years riding motorcyces, Presently, a 2007 Harley Road King owner. This sounds like a “SNOOPES” story. WHO, and HOW did any cop clock this guy at 160 MPH? This story is unbelievable, and just that, a story. Someone should call NBC and Mesa PD Because I doubt this is true. If it is, again, how was this guy’s speed “clocked’? NO WAY

August 29, 2007 at 9:16 pm
(29) Tom WIlliams says:

160 in a school zone? Are you kidding me? If true, that clown should serve every day of that sentence and handed a “lifetime bus pass” when he gets out because that should be they only way he gets around after this.

August 29, 2007 at 9:53 pm
(30) Wayne hervey says:

To me the speed if it was 160 or 60 shows this boy doesn’t care about anyone else and should not be allowed to drive any type of motor vehicle.We have to many stupid people driving we need to start limiting it to a privilege to drive as it was intented

August 29, 2007 at 10:15 pm
(31) rlk4100 says:

He is stuck on STUPID. They should have led him to his cell and thrown the keys away!!!

August 30, 2007 at 1:03 am
(32) bimo says:

that 2006 cbr 600 is a cool bike to have, too bad the driver can’t appreciate life of himself, and others

August 30, 2007 at 8:24 am
(33) mred says:

This person has NO comsideration for anything but his own life. This type of action borders on psychotic.

3 years is too good a punishment.

when he gets out he WILL ride AGAIN AND VERY POSSIBLY KILL SOMEONE BESIDES HIMSELF. which killing him self will take him out of the gene pool( and creating a NET benefit to society) thereby preventing him from procreating and passing on his psychotic genes.

What he did is more onerous than a pschotic waving a gun in a school yard, the end result would be the same
Lock him up for life.

By the way I have been riding for over 55 years and am a gun-owner as well, and I still ride at 73 so age is NO barrier to riding.

August 30, 2007 at 8:31 am
(34) mred says:

Heres the news article for the ex-cop who disbelieves the story

Motorcyclist Gets 3 Years For Speeding
Man Going More Than 160 MPH In School Zone

POSTED: 9:30 am EDT August 21, 2007
UPDATED: 10:06 am EDT August 22, 2007

PHOENIX — A 20-year-old Mesa, Ariz., motorcyclist was sentenced to three years in prison on Monday for blasting past a school crosswalk at speeds exceeding 160 mph.

Mathew Englebeck was arrested on April 2 after a pursuit and foot chase.

Arizona Department of Public Safety officers said they first observed Englebeck on his 2006 Honda CBR motorcycle traveling around 140 mph in morning rush-hour traffic on U.S. 60 near Mesa Drive.

After exiting the freeway, Englebeck then drove through a crosswalk near Whittier Elementary School at more than 160 mph, officers said.

DPS motorcycle officer Mike Fields said at one point the speeding biker was coming right at him.

“Unfortunately the position of my bike, he was able to work his way around it nearly colliding with me as he went off and over the on-ramp and back onto westbound U.S. 60,” Fields told Phoenix television station KPHO.

About 30 minutes into the chase, Englebeck abandoned his motorcycle near Rio Salado and the Loop 101 and a foot chase ensued.

Officers said they found Englebeck a short time later in a nearby apartment complex and took him into custody.

KPHO learned that he has riding with a suspended license and has history of reckless driving.

Officers said Engelbeck told them he was a former racer who was heading for work.

On Aug. 20, he pleaded guilty to two counts of aggravated assault and unlawful flight from law enforcement officers.
Distributed by Internet Broadcasting. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

August 30, 2007 at 1:39 pm
(35) bob says:

it is ririders like this that give all of us a bad rap.3 yrs is not nearlye enough time.20 to life sounds appropriate in this case, as he was in a school zone.it’s not like we all haven’t exceeded the speed limit occasionaly. the fact is that the majority of us ride with respect for the laws and those around us. i wish i could say the same for the cagers.there is a time and place for speed and it is not on americas highways ans biways.

August 30, 2007 at 9:26 pm
(36) Keith says:

Ok I guess we can chock this one up to youth,stupidity,and a total lack of respect for people life and laws and I am sorry but there is no excuse for what this clown did. Now its time to pay and hopefully this penalty will wake this numbskull from his video game racing mindset!

September 1, 2007 at 8:19 pm
(37) Chuck says:

Fellow motorcyclists. Don’t you wish it had been a jury trial, that you were called to serve on? E.M.T. 17 years. almost normal human 52 years.

September 3, 2007 at 2:59 pm
(38) aj says:

this idiot needs more than 3yrs he should be hung besides his bike in the hot az sun for 5yrs he puts all in harms way sad thing ibet the first day he is released he!ll be on a bike again!!!!

September 3, 2007 at 8:59 pm
(39) "DOC" says:

They should bury the jerk & forget where they left him

September 6, 2007 at 1:12 pm
(40) BIg D Zimbabwe says:

Reading about this twit i think he should only be allowed to operate a bicyle ( under grand parents supervision)when he gets out. 20 years old + CBR 600 = Train Smash i thick he should that a leaf from the unwritten Zimbabwe Biker book.(The older i get the faster i was.)

September 6, 2007 at 4:43 pm
(41) Pete says:

This guy is stupid, dangerous and a complete idiot. He belongs in jail for a long time – and – to be on the receiving end of a permanent drivers licence revocation. This is the 2nd time on this website in the last day or so someone has claimed their F4 went 160+.
I say again…an F4 wouldn’t go 160+ if you dropped it out of a B52!

September 8, 2007 at 9:57 pm
(42) uglicoyote says:

Some people need to chill a bit. Did anyone die? No. Could someone have died? Certainly. BUT NO ONE DID! Is the sentence appropriate? Given his past record, probably. But how many times have you read about some cager killing a biker in an accident because of his/her (the cager’s) stupidity and then walking away with a fine, a suspended jail sentence, or community service. Happens all the time folks.
The Need

On curving back-roads I love riding
The freeways and interstates aren’t for me
I love exploring and deciding
Where next to go and what to see

But I must confess that now and then
I feel an inner, aching need
To open up that big V-Twin
I need an occasional “fix” of speed

Once in a while I need to check my guts
And feel that adrenaline flow
To see if I’ve still got the nuts
To make that baby go

So I find a lonely stretch of highway
And with the throttle in my fist
I point my bike down the straight-away
And give that stick a twist.

Eighty, eighty-five, ninety, ninety-five
Love to hear that engine’s roar
The century mark then one-oh- five
Will this machine do more?

Does one-oh-five fulfill my need
If I said yes, well I’d be lying
Hunter Thompson said ” The thrill of speed
Overcomes the fear of dying.”*