1. Autos

Basem Wasef

Airbag-Equipped Jacket Saves Motorcyclist From Serious Injury

By October 19, 2007

Impact Jacket

A Maryland motorcyclist put an airbag-equipped jacket to the test when he was ejected 100 feet from his bike and slammed to the ground at an estimated 140 mph. A local news report lauds the jacket and states that the victim suffered minor injuries, which officials say could have been "much worse."

The jacket, which uses replaceable C02 cartridges and is designed to inflate at torso and neck areas when tethers detach from the motorcycle's frame, is manufactured by Impact Jackets and sells for around $400.

Given the relative cost of safety gear, this seems like a small price to pay for this type of protection; would you spring for a self-inflating jacket, or do you prefer to leave airbag technology in cars (and Honda Gold Wings)? Comment away on this latest motorcycle safety trend.

Photo Impact Jackets
Comments
October 19, 2007 at 10:59 am
(1) Scottie says:

“Replacable CO2 cartidges” Just how many crashes does one plan to have in a lifetime? Methinks it’s for idiots like me who would forget to untether on a regular basis.

October 19, 2007 at 4:28 pm
(2) Tadd says:

I think that the jacket is a great idea, especially if ya gonna exceed the speed limit by more than 50 mph…

October 19, 2007 at 6:20 pm
(3) Pete says:

If it saves my sorry ass even once, I’ll consider it money well spent..then I’ll go buy another CO2 cartridge.

October 19, 2007 at 10:15 pm
(4) Rockin Scotty says:

Another safety step forward….bring it on, great idea, reasonable price.

October 23, 2007 at 7:47 am
(5) Sharon says:

Interesting idea…technology never ceases to amaze me!

October 24, 2007 at 10:58 am
(6) Quien Sabe says:

As the first comment states, the weakest link in this idea is forgetting to disengage tethers when dismounting the bike normally. For a memory challenged soul like myself, this would require a substantial investment and C02 cartridges, not to mention rouge to cover my “red in the face”.

October 24, 2007 at 11:04 am
(7) Frank says:

GREAT idea!!!

October 24, 2007 at 12:11 pm
(8) motorcycles says:

The Impact website states that a tug force of 25-35 lbs is required to detach the tether, preventing accidental deployments.

October 24, 2007 at 12:12 pm
(9) Jamie says:

Can someone please explain how the rider ended up going 140 mph at the time of impact? Unless the rider was traveling that fast when he was on the bike (in which case he probably shouldn’t be on the highway as he’s giving the rest of us a bad name) I don’t understand how he would have accelerated prior to hitting the ground. PS – this article was a press release authored by Impact Jackets.

October 24, 2007 at 2:00 pm
(10) Pete says:

“The Impact website states that a tug force of 25-35 lbs is required to detach the tether, preventing accidental deployments”

Another thing they could add maybe is an ignition connection that could easily detach the tether from it’s connection to the bike when the bike motor is shut off?

October 24, 2007 at 2:50 pm
(11) PeteB says:

Funny, no one really seems to be raising a stink about the fact that the rider hit the deck at 140mph, presumably on a public roadway. Good chance he was going even faster before leaving the bike.

October 24, 2007 at 2:51 pm
(12) PeteB says:

My bad. Someone did cap on him, two comments above…

October 24, 2007 at 5:15 pm
(13) mbiker says:

got to get cheaper fr use poor people. Not that i’ll ever get to 140mph, but sometimes i am in a hurry. I can see them making us having them like the Helmet Law

October 24, 2007 at 7:04 pm
(14) clod says:

Too bad they are mostly black or grey. If they came in dayglo colours it would be even safer. The cartridges are cheap, but I wouldn’t want to land on the jacket right at the spot where the cartridge is.

October 24, 2007 at 8:56 pm
(15) MickV says:

Impact speed and being thrown off a bike suddenly will accelerate rider. Simular to firing a cannon. Laws of physics.

March 1, 2008 at 3:32 pm
(16) Josh says:

140 MPH, he should be limited to a bicycle from now on.

September 15, 2008 at 5:40 pm
(17) Ajlouny & Associates says:

I like the idea of an airbag jacket. If it means that your safer on the road where the chances are even only a small percentage higher of saving your life or limbs, i would recommend getting one.

June 29, 2009 at 1:02 am
(18) dj says:

Well I have one, but not the Impact as they are out of business. I have the popular one from Japan, the hit-air. You wont set it off accidentely, I have forgotten and never set mine off though it can be funny being pulled when trying to disomount. It is a beutiful high end jacket and the air system is on the outside so you land on the airbag not the tank. it is reusable
You can FINALLY GET THEM cheap(er) in the USA from
Took a week to get mine.

February 7, 2013 at 4:36 am
(19) Gideon Langart says:

I have 3 Hit-Air jackets. Winter, general and a mesh one for summer. I have tested one in a 3-bike spill on diesel where the other 2 went to hospital and I got away with a sprained ankle and sprained thumb.

They should be compulsory like helmets. I would never let my kid ride without one. And keeping it simple with a lanyard suits me best. Think about your, neck, ribs, collarbone and pelvis and get an inflatable jacket.

February 7, 2013 at 2:28 pm
(20) Richard Bradley says:

I think it is a great idea, and will buy one if they are available.