1. Autos

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Honda Gold Wing Action

It's big, heavy, and has more bells and whistles than any motorcycle ought to, but the Honda Gold Wing is also shockingly fun to ride fast. You probably won't comparison shop it against sportbikes any time soon, but trust me on this: the 'Wing, with its silky six-cylinder engine and low center of gravity, has a lot more fire in its belly on the open road than you would imagine.

So maybe the photo here is exaggerated for comic effect, but check out my Honda Gold Wing Long Term Report #3 to see why speeding with this nearly 900 pound behemoth can be such a blast.

Photo A. Wyckoff
Click to enlarge

Comments
June 25, 2008 at 3:17 pm
(1) Simon Barsinister says:

Comic genius! I’m rolling on the floor, laughin out loud…!

June 25, 2008 at 7:19 pm
(2) FrankG says:

Honda should use that fantastic engine and build a bike to compete against the new Vmax, BKing, etc…
Would be one Heck-of-a-bike!
HEAR ME HONDA?

June 25, 2008 at 8:52 pm
(3) Pete says:

Basem,
Great article about a truly superb motorcycle!
You have a new fan! Who is this “Simon” clown?? I wonder if he’s travelling incognito and you’ve heard from him in the past?? Certainly a clever name…

Frank…the Valkyrie was close to what you describe…except it was the older 1500 motor.
The ‘Rune’ however (UUUUUUUUGLLLYYY) is exactly what you describe. The motor was leaned on for a few more horsepower and it was 200lbs lighter than a Wing. Handled like a waterbed, but stupid fast in a straight line!!
If you ever get a chance to ride one, it’ll surprise the hell out of you and embarass a few very fast sport bikes up to the top of 3rd gear.

June 25, 2008 at 10:48 pm
(4) BC says:

….those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man. For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies: These are the things which defile the man…

June 25, 2008 at 11:08 pm
(5) Pete says:

BC – I resent that! I’ll have you know I have never had evil thoughts, murdered anyone, committed adultery, stolen anything or bore false witness. I’ll take the 5th on the others….

June 25, 2008 at 11:58 pm
(6) motorcycles says:

Pete,

Yes, it appears we’ve experienced a re-visitation; what a charming guy.

June 26, 2008 at 12:35 pm
(7) Scottie says:

That MPG is a little surprising. You could do better in a Civic, but I suppose that’s not the point.

BTW, came back from upstate last week on the west side of the Hudson (yes, there is land west of the Hudson) and stopped by OCC’s new palace. Mostly t-shirts and clothing. Only about 10 bikes for sale. They did have a lot of the bikes from the show on display, including a nice tribute to the FDNY.

June 26, 2008 at 5:48 pm
(8) Ken says:

Basem, have enjoyed the first three reports. Am enjoying riding my new wing and am currently triking it. The Honda Wing power plant works great as a trike platform, as well. I have owned a Valkyrie and Yamaha Royal Star. They were both great riding machines, but the Wing is truly a superior riding machine over all other made today ( in the touring class).

June 30, 2008 at 3:12 pm
(9) DeeKayT says:

I am a little surprised at the milage. I am currently getting between 38 to 40 mpg on mine.

June 30, 2008 at 3:30 pm
(10) motorcycles says:

Scottie & DeeKayT,

The mileage is an extreme example of what happens when you ride the ‘Wing hard and fast… you’ll see dramatically different numbers in upcoming reports.

Cheers,