1. Autos

Basem Wasef

Custom Harley Tri Glide Trike + a Dozen Electra Glides to Lead Obama Inauguration

By January 12, 2009

Presidential inauguration parade One heavily modified Harley-Davidson Tri Glide trike will lead a dozen side car-equipped Electra Glides in a V-shaped formation that guides the presidential inauguration parade on January 20th. The Tri Glide and Electra Glides were sourced by Harley-Davidson of Frederick, and the dealership modified the $29,999 trike with radio brackets, flag mounts and other items that bumped the price to $35,000. The dealership has supplied bikes for the past five inauguration parades, and owner Mike Vantucci says "The police officers who will get these are really excited."

2009 Harley Tri Glide Trike

Each Harley underwent 40 hours of mods in order to be prepped for inaugural duty, and will be utilized by Washington DC Metro Police when they're done with their presidential proceedings. For specs and photos of the civilian version of the trike, check out our 2009 Harley-Davidson Tri Glide Photo Gallery.*

* An earlier version of this story indicated that a dozen Tri-Glides will lead the parade, but it has been amended with the correct information.

Related:

Photos hdoffrederick.com, Harley-Davidson
Click either for 2009 Harley Tri Glide Photo Gallery

Comments
January 12, 2009 at 11:54 am
(1) Shelby says:

Are you serious?? A trike with a side car is a cage!

January 13, 2009 at 7:32 pm
(2) Carrie says:

I look forward to seeing the inaugeration parade, even if I see it on You Tube.
I think the trikes will be very nice for police use, but I tend to wonder if the trikes will be harder for the officers to manuver than a regular motorcycle.

January 14, 2009 at 10:29 am
(3) David says:

why would you put a side car on a trike or can you, that’s like three wheels now, lol…I won’t be watching it

January 14, 2009 at 11:12 am
(4) breeze13 says:

Gee, kinda like the Meter Maids on the old 45″ servicars. LMAO

January 14, 2009 at 11:51 am
(5) Frank says:

I’ll watch the first few minutes of the parade just to see the trikes. The rest of the parade and Inauguration festivities will be boring as far as I’m concerned.

January 14, 2009 at 8:33 pm
(6) W. Hayles says:

Cops manuever on trikes? I guess you guys don’t remember the Servi-Car. It was in production from the 30′s til the 70′s. So the Tri-Glide is not first factory trike for Harley. Cops and meter maids used them for traffic and parking meter patrols.

January 14, 2009 at 10:48 pm
(7) Kari says:

I believe the article indicated that the only trike would be the lead followed by “side car equipped Electra Glides”. So, the side cars are not to be added to the trikes.
But I do agree that this will be the best part of the parade!

January 15, 2009 at 12:07 am
(8) Peter says:

I just hope that a new US President, no matter who, will encourage the fickle and anxious investors and businesses to get the economy back on track. Then folks could buy these toys again and retired folk wouldn’t be without there pensions.

February 16, 2009 at 5:01 pm
(9) bill says:

You guys/gals in America are lucky .We over here in Scotland dont see parades like yours .Fortunately I have an Electraglide trike which was an 95th anniversary bike until I had it cinverted last year . First outing was a trip to Spain and back .Very relaxing ride . Just been for a spin , the first of 2009 ,as weather has picked up . Brill