1. Autos

Basem Wasef

Kids' Motorcycles & ATVs Banned!

By February 15, 2009

Children's Suzuki DR-Z70 It sounds like a hoax, but it's true: children's motorcycles and ATVs are now illegal in America, effective February 10, 2009. Thanks to the well-intentioned but ill-applied Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act, offroad motorcycles and ATVs intended for those 12 years old and younger are now illegal because their batteries contain lead.

Children's Suzuki DR-Z70

The ruling was "...intended to address lead in toys and childrenís jewelry that kids put in their mouths," according to Paul Vitrano, General Counsel for the Motorcycle Industry Council and the Specialty Vehicle Institute of America. "We're concerned about this for a variety of reasons," he says, "in particular because the lack of availability of youth products makes it more likely that youth are going to ride adult size products. And thatís a real risk to children."

If you're interested in protesting this ban, here's what you can do: go to the arra-access.com website, where you can send a letter to Congresspersons and Senators. If you're as concerned about this ruling as I am, I encourage you to click on the link and air your opinions.

Photos © Suzuki & Yamaha;
Click for Buyer's Guides

Comments
February 16, 2009 at 8:47 am
(1) Pete says:

Bizarre! You’d think law makers would have enough brains to address real problems instead of imagined crap like this…but it seems having an IQ above a tomato is not a prerequisite for public office.
And reallyÖ.letís put the blame where it laysÖthis must be the parents fault for letting their 9 year old eat those damned batteries!!
If they manage to make this stick (too late? Itís already stuck?) the manufacturers and all those misguided battery eaters will have to resort to that prehistoric device called a kick starter.
HmmmmmÖ…recession and create jobs, or ban batteries in play bikes? Thatís a tough one.

February 16, 2009 at 9:28 am
(2) Joe says:

This just shows how dumb our goverment can be sometimes. do they think kids get lead poisoning from mini bikes?? Think they should check the senators and congress for lead poisoning, sounds like there the ones with it.

February 16, 2009 at 2:27 pm
(3) Simon Barsinister says:

Gullable is putting it mildly… Who’s to say what age group any item is aimed at…!? I currently ride one of these in my house regularly…

February 16, 2009 at 2:29 pm
(4) Aaron says:

I have two kids, both went through a teething phase, and I can’t say I ever saw either of them attempt to stick a motorcycle in their mouth…

February 16, 2009 at 5:05 pm
(5) Tyler says:

The issue is not whether or not kids are getting lead poisoning from the bikes, still to this day I have never seen or heard of a child gnawing on his or her atv. We just stand by and let the government tell us what we can do in the pursuit of happiness. Where is the line drawn? When is enough enough? When will we be deemed intelligent enough to make our own decisions.

February 16, 2009 at 8:14 pm
(6) Jorge with a J says:

This website is helping to spread rumors. Dirtbikes and atvs are sold by engine size, not age of riders, thus can’t be banned for childish reasons. Anyone who believes this probably ate paint chips when they was kids and perhaps still do…?

February 17, 2009 at 9:02 am
(7) Russ T says:

@Jorge

You can’t be serious. This has been all over various motorcycle news sites. The language of the ban specifically says “designed or intended primarily for children 12 years of age or younger.” I don’t know about the rest of you, but ol’ “Jorge the elf” must think he’s supposed to be riding around on tiny 50cc and 70cc micro-bikes. The manufacturers have designed these bikes specifically for children, regardless of your own misguided recreational mindset. Don’t believe Basem? Don’t believe me? Don’t believe every other news source? Check the mfg sites, all the small models have been removed, because they can’t sell them anymore. Now why would they do that if this was “only a rumor?” Honda’s are gone, Kawasaki has blocked them with a description as to why, and Suzuki even left their “Kid” section intentionally blank. I guess according to you, Suzuki, Honda and Kawasaki must have been eating paint chips too…

Basem’s job is to provide you with the news, and he’s done that here. Save your slander, we don’t need to see it here.

February 17, 2009 at 10:34 pm
(8) charity says:

As an owner of an atv shop intended towards children. I think this is a bunch of crap. We has a good business making alot of kids happy including my own. We have worked hard in our shop sometimes until 2:00 a.m. Now we as american people our going to let our government again tell us what is right for us and our children.

February 18, 2009 at 10:08 am
(9) Biker says:

Batteries and toys that contain lead are banned – from what I understand – not bikes ! I understand banning lead in toys because small(1-3 years) children tend to put them in their mouth but batteries have a hard outer casing. You can’t get to the lead from the outside and even if the 1 to 3 year old manages to get to brake the battery and get to the lead that’s the last of his/her problems ( the battery might explode, some batteries contain diluted sulfuric acid). Good thing I live in Europe :D !

February 18, 2009 at 12:01 pm
(10) breeze13 says:

We really need to get new congress critters. They are out of control. Fire all of ‘em.

February 18, 2009 at 12:33 pm
(11) Peter says:

You guys are always boasting about being the “Land of the Free”, or “America is the Greatest Country on Earth”, etc. As an outsider it’s sad to see that you are slowly losing it more and more and you haven’t really seen that.
It’s time for a “Nouveau Boston Tea Party” not against the British, but your own PC fools in government.

February 18, 2009 at 12:46 pm
(12) Papa Harley says:

“BIG BROTHER IS ALWAYS WATCHING” He may even be spying on you via satallites!

February 18, 2009 at 12:52 pm
(13) Annah says:

The way I understand it from reading the regulations on the CPSC web site these manufacturers can prove their product contains no lead (although it has to be every nut and bolt)but they can then release these products again. Although I get what Basem is saying, I do not see anything or have any knowledge of the battery putting these sales to a permanent halt.
I think there is a way around it, the products can be labled/relabled for sale to any person age 13 and over.
At this time we/you can still sell/get parts and service for the units that were sold prior to Feb. 10, 2009.

February 18, 2009 at 1:01 pm
(14) Peter says:

Papa Harley it’s time to stand up to “Big Brother” and all those PC police and take back your land for the people. Bring back the spirit of the West and ride free.
If a kid would really open up a lead-cell battery and start munching, then that kid is doomed in more ways than one anyhow.
I also heard two old satelites collided the other day and thousands of pieces are hurling in orbit. There is big concern they will destroy other satelites, so hopefully some “Big Brother” ones will get whacked.

February 18, 2009 at 1:46 pm
(15) Speed says:

If it’s only the batteries that are an issue here,why not pull the batteries from the bikes and sell them seperately (Adjusting the price accordingly)? After all,you don’t buy a new rifle with a round in the chamber,do you?

February 18, 2009 at 1:48 pm
(16) woodentoy says:

This law was given a one year reprive for us toymakers on our finishes although I think it still applies to lead. Check it out before this rumor goes any further.

February 18, 2009 at 2:24 pm
(17) Peter says:

…and another thing. If they are going to be so stupid as to ban these vehicles, then they certainly must ban all electronic toys and games for kids as well. These all contain lead based solder, and even toxins in the plastics. A little kid is much more likely to be chewing of a small electronic widget, than getting some tools, removing a lead-acid battery, and then breaking it open, only to start dining on the lead. If someone is that dumb to do that, then eating lead is a moot point.
The lists on CPSC’s site is so exhaustive for all issues, and a large number of recalls seem to be removing all freedom of choice and expression.
I recently slipped on my icy porch and fell all the way down and hurt my back badly. Will they now recall porches or force special construction. We have to take resposibilty for our actions or we are puppets. I know we have to protect kids, but not in a knee-jerk way, or in a inconsistent way such as no vehicles, but allow electronics, etc.

February 19, 2009 at 4:18 pm
(18) Proud Mother says:

I have read all the comments listed on this site and I think we are missing the real problem here. I myself bought my 4 year old son a Mini ATV for Christmas last year and then attempted to buy my neice on today from the same site my Sons was purchased and Yes…They are banned. However in my oppinion, although a battery contains led, what kind of Parent would not supervise their child and allow them to take a battery apart and chew on it. Seems to me the problem is the parent. Our jobs as parents are to protect our children and if we as parents fail, then unfortunatly someone else has to step in. I am personally disapointed that these ATV’s have been banned because I never leave my child unattended while riding. But, if it saves the life of other children who’s parents aren’t so responsible. The I must agree to the ban. It’s terrible for those of us who are good parents though. What a shame.

February 20, 2009 at 11:39 am
(19) Douglas says:

Most of these bikes do not have batteries.
Most of the bikes run off magnetos.
Only the bikes with electric starters have
batteries.

February 20, 2009 at 6:31 pm
(20) krystle says:

visit the myspace. it has up to date info and petitions to sign. trying to get as many members on there as possible. in 1 week we haev almost 600 people.

February 20, 2009 at 10:39 pm
(21) Adam says:

As a 32 year old parent of a mx racer we took up fishing since we cant get parts to fix our bikes. Let me tell you its real hard to keep my 8 year old from eating all thos LEAD weights. At least when he was able to ride it was obvios when his helmet was off and he was on all 4s sucking on the valve stems.

February 21, 2009 at 2:39 am
(22) Patty Scott says:

My daughters quad for her to enjoy and be a part of family time when we go riding. I feed my daughter so I sure that she is not going to try and eat the quad. This is the most stupid thing I have ever heard. Lets take everything pure and fun away from the children so they can turn to drugs instead. Get a grip law makers. Maybe they should lay off the drugs a bit.

February 23, 2009 at 6:21 pm
(23) Sue says:

What am I supposed to do with the ATV that I just bought my grandson? It was too big and he hasn’t been able to ride it. I WAS trying to sell it. What now? Where is the recall? If something is dangerous it is recalled by the company that made it not a waste of money for the consumer!

February 24, 2009 at 10:39 am
(24) Craig says:

I am glad they are banned young kids should not be riding these things. Wrong reason to ban them but still the right thing to do in my book.

February 24, 2009 at 1:00 pm
(25) Arroyo Toad says:

This whole thread is misleading as far as the batteries go. The batteries could be a component but I’ve researched this further and it is “substrate materials” that are the concern. They have gone beyond the paint and are looking at the alloy compositions of the mechanical parts. Lead is in the alloy at a composition greater than 600 parts per million. That is the issue. This whole thing is stupid and if someone looks further you’ll probably find some motorcycles hating environmentalist a$$holes behind it all.

February 25, 2009 at 1:51 pm
(26) MAX says:

I THINK THAT THE REASON THE CPSC HAS NOT acted on this is that there are many in the agency that have wanted to ban kids ATV and MCs for a long time. They got a backdoor ban and they are sticking with it.

Have you noticed that there hasn’t been any response to the 100,000 letter about this?

February 25, 2009 at 4:34 pm
(27) Jason says:

I think you’re all silly. My 8-year old son ate his minibike and now he’s dead. I’m sure it was the lead. You guys need to take this ban more seriously. ;)

February 25, 2009 at 4:36 pm
(28) Eaty says:

I wish you people would take this more seriously. My 8-year old son ate his mini-bike and now he’s dead. I’m sure it was the lead. ;)

February 26, 2009 at 1:48 am
(29) Autumn says:

A bunch of idiots in this country think Obama,Pelosi and Ried are the way to go! It’s only going to get worse until we get these people out of our government and our lives!

February 26, 2009 at 7:20 am
(30) Joe says:

You tell them Autumn!!! Less goverment not more!!

February 26, 2009 at 11:30 pm
(31) Terry says:

You Idiots. 1-Law was created before Obama got into office. 2-Lead content, is surely a blanket statement, not Personally directed towards kids MC’s. 3-An electric start is not essential on a 50cc MC. I had many bruises on my shins/calfs to prove it…..Kickstarts are fun. 4-What about my toddler’s Little Tikes Plastic Monster truck, complete with Battery??? Finally, direct your blame at those individuals who hold EVERYONE else BUT themselves, responsible for their kids safety.

February 28, 2009 at 2:21 pm
(32) Joe says:

Is this ban on all kids motorvehicles, or only ones with batteries?

March 1, 2009 at 3:04 pm
(33) cleatus says:

I think the children and adults need to chew some political ass.

March 8, 2009 at 11:51 am
(34) chris says:

bulls***!. these kids bikes do not have batteries in them, most have flywheel magneto ignition, no battery fitted or needed.

March 14, 2009 at 4:24 pm
(35) spencer says:

wow whats next?… how else can the government put any more limitations on us? I thought we live in a free country? now they are telling us how to raise our kids and at what age our kids know not to chew on there batteries on the dirt bikes… that’s ridiculous!!! now I know why I am stocking up on my guns and ammo because the government will tell me that my guns have too much lead in them and try and take those away too…
GO OBAHMA!!!!

March 24, 2009 at 3:52 pm
(36) Mike NY says:

Rediculous! Check out Switched.com They are selling no-lead batteries now. Problem solved!

March 30, 2009 at 4:52 pm
(37) DonR says:

I’m not sure I understand. Is the ban because of the battery or something else? Have all toys that are run on batteries been banned including the learning books? My wife has a CRF100F that does not have a battery. Does the steal or aluminum contain lead? Mystified…

April 3, 2009 at 9:59 am
(38) Lisa Weber says:

Funny, I have 3 kids who grew up dirt bike riding and they never put their dirt bikes in their mouths!!

April 4, 2009 at 10:54 am
(39) Kristine Green says:

My kids’ dirt bikes don’t have batteries in them.

April 6, 2009 at 6:31 pm
(40) frog says:

this is so stupid , welcome to america where ur free to do what the government tells u to. land of the free my a$$. take toys away from kids no wonder kids starting killing, robbing and doing drugs

April 26, 2009 at 9:41 pm
(41) mike says:

i think that it is b.s. that they would try to banned motorcycles and atv’s. It is so pathetic that they would try to do this. They are just ruining it for kids. Although i am a 12 year old and i have a dirtbike and a pocket bike and i am getting an atv i still think it is pathetic that they would try to ban this. They wouldnt be able to considering that there and soo many dirtbike and other motorcycle, atv, etc. companies and so many things bought and made they wouldnt be able to. If they do that would be so mean and pathetic. i would still ride as much as i do.
honeslty if they do i would probably light something on fire and do other things that would show that i am mad at the s***** government of the u(united states)s(sucks)a(a******).

June 1, 2009 at 11:38 pm
(42) Tom says:

Yea, as a kid I remember opening batteries, dumping out the acid and then licking the lead plates inside…

Come on! Laws like these are stupid, idiodic and really shows how over-regulated we are!!!

July 25, 2009 at 4:18 pm
(43) Adam says:

It seems fake but its true the govt baned kids dirt bikes Its so mutch fun to clean the lead plates in side of your battarie WITH YOUR TOUNG!!!!!!! Just because oboma cant start a dirt bike with out his toung inside the battarie! maby the rest of the people who are smarter than a toilet should run the government?

July 25, 2009 at 4:28 pm
(44) mx racer says:

I dout a 3 year old knows how to open a battarie.

August 29, 2009 at 4:08 pm
(45) Eyoel says:

What is this i read all reviews been to allot of bike sites and what is this. i have a cousin who is 5 and he has a mini atv and he knows better than to put the battery in his mouth. What is this the most screw$$ up law ever I heard even in there ain’t no law like this. This is babyish why don’t the parents watch over their kids or at least show them the danger and tell them never ever to do that and why is it that just for a couple of kids mistakes a whole nation has to suffer. And because a couple idiots said no i thought this was a free country. Where u can actually ride an atv but no u can’t because of the government.

December 13, 2009 at 9:47 pm
(46) Bob says:

Better keep your kids who are 12 and under away from your car batteries too, they may “pop” your hood and take apart the family car and start eating the battery and wash it down with the acid! So now what happens after they buy the ATVs and they’re caught riding it in the desert? The BLM police are gonna start citing the parents and impound the ATVs??? What a bunch of crap this legislation is!!

February 10, 2010 at 3:41 pm
(47) Marc says:

I have a fix that will end this B.S…. 1. Go from lead acid battery to a gell (maint. free Batt.) w/a copper or steel term. post …. 2. Remove the lead ball on all cables & replace them w/ copper od steel balls…. I think that will deal w/any lead on the bikes , quads , or trikes & if I missed anything … just replace it w/steel or cooper. It’s a simple fix. A little more expensive but how much would it cost in the long run $50 added to the cost of the machine . Stop bitching about the ban & do something write the manfg. & tell them to fix the problem & place a lable that this vehicle is 100% lead free.

February 10, 2010 at 3:45 pm
(48) Marc says:

Just another way for the safty crats to get kids off dangerous toys. Rember the greef they received when they banned the 3 wheeler ATV. This is how their doing the same but going thru the back door knowing that it’s all B.S.

April 30, 2010 at 5:12 pm
(49) Used atv for sale says:

As per the statics, most of the accident are of teenagers and kids, strict action should be taken to control it

July 14, 2010 at 5:25 pm
(50) Jason says:

Idiots, you think they ban them for the proper reasons, “THEY’RE UNSAFE FOR CHILDREN TO RIDE”

October 9, 2010 at 7:06 pm
(51) kelsey says:

omg they just have to stop selling them with batteries and then problem solved

April 19, 2011 at 11:47 am
(52) reza418 says:

russ t does not know what hes talking about from what ive hurd the goverment is stupied and doesnt use there head if the lead in the battirs is casing canser then take out the battirs and put kick starts on then and the other parts that are mad out of lead make them out of something else i mean come on people the goverment is makeing the econome worse by doing this

July 10, 2012 at 4:12 am
(53) toy says:

the only thing thats gonna eat that would be the “grey goo”.im movin to europe!

July 10, 2012 at 4:18 am