1. Autos

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

10 Cheapest Motorcycles
We love all types of bikes here-- from buzzy little mopeds to big-bore cruisers-- and if you think like I do, it's always interesting to explore the extremes.

In this particular case, we investigated the absolute cheapest motorcycles on the market, and ran into plenty of dead ends including now-defunct manufacturers, obscure dirtbike importers, and more pocketbike and scooter builders than you can shake a helmet at.

To show you how close the competition is at the bottom of the price spectrum, the Yamaha V-Star 250 was edged out of the top 10 by the most expensive bike on the list-- the South Korean-built Hyosung GV250-- by a mere $91. And the famous Honda Rebel ($3,999) was also pushed off the list to 12th place, a mere $9 above the V-Star.

To see the most affordable bikes in America, take a look at our list of the 10 Cheapest Motorcycles on the Market.

Photo Montage © Basem Wasef;
Click for a list of the 10 Cheapest Motorcycles

Comments
March 30, 2010 at 8:29 am
(1) Pete says:

Don’t you think before we start examining the cheapest bikes around there should be some standards to adhere to?
The Hyosungs & Kymco offerings might (emphasis on ‘might’) scrape their way off the bottom of the barrel, but Johnny Pag!???
PLEASE…that thing is an unqualified POS – barely a motorcycle…probably dangerous to ride, much less ‘nice’.
Give China few years and they might make it to where the industry was in 1967…right now, they have no business on this list or any other where quality might be a consideration.

March 30, 2010 at 8:53 am
(2) Mick says:

I think one glaring problem I see with this list (no offense, Basem, because I see you’ve obviously done the research to find the info on these bikes) is that the average consumer has no idea what a Kymco, Johnny Pag, Lifan, or QLink even are (that totals 6 of the bikes listed). Further more, where the heck do you buy one? I like to think of myself as someone who knows more about bikes than the average motorcyclist, but even I would have no clue where to get any of them.

Very few have even heard the name Hyosung, and wouldn’t even know it’s also branded as UnitedMotors. But at least Hyosung/UM has been lucky enough to sneak onto showroom floors in some of the Big Four’s dealerships.

With the exception of the Suzuki TU250X (which is a “fun lil’ scoot”), I’m also hoping this is strictly a “lowest price” list…and not a “recommended buy” list! As always, thanks for the info Basem.

PS – I’m curious how much the most expensive bike in this list would be if you named only the well known mfgs…could be pretty high up there!

March 30, 2010 at 10:35 am
(3) Pete says:

Mick…good point!
Let’s take your valid comment “Where do I buy one?” one step further…
Do you really care and are truly interested in buying something, you, nor anyone else has ever heard of?
I had a good long look at a Johnny Pag at a recent bike show and I was absolutely shocked that it was legal and certified for sale. Some of the parts (chain guard, fender edges, trim) were unfinished and sharp enough to produce a very ugly cut.
There’s an old saying (so my parents told me) that goes something like “The sting of poor quality lasts a lot longer then the pleasure of low price”

March 30, 2010 at 11:30 am
(4) Joe says:

Some good points made by Pete and Mick. I think most people would spend a little more for the Honda, Suzuki and Yamaha’s then the made in China bikes.

March 30, 2010 at 7:57 pm
(5) Basem Wasef - Motorcycles Guide says:

Fellas,

Unless I state so in a review (like I did with the Suzuki TU250X, which I rather enjoyed, or the Johnny Pag Pro Street… which, um, just read the review), I’m neither promoting nor condemning the bikes on this list; they simply are what they are, which is cheap.

I’m now working on a “Most Expensive Motorcycles” list– it’s just a wee bit more fun to research. :)

Basem

March 31, 2010 at 9:40 am
(6) obxbiker says:

OMG… ”Chinese-built Hyosung GV250”
Hyosung is NOT Chinese, please correct the type to read that it is Korean !

March 31, 2010 at 10:04 am
(7) obxbiker says:

Another correction: QLink no longer imports the Legacy 250 . It is now only imported by CFMoto.

Also Kymco is not a cheap mainland CHINA product as its mainly made in Taiwan and is now the #5 producer of two wheeled products in the world.

March 31, 2010 at 10:31 am
(8) obxbiker says:

Noticed another correction: United Motors is no longer carrying these ‘rebadged’ Hyosungs.

March 31, 2010 at 11:43 am
(9) Pete says:

Basem,
Sorry! Didn’t mean to intimate there was any sort of exception to your research or the forum…most certainly not the case. Just trying to bring conversation out that price is a very interesting topic – especially with a something as passionate as bikes.
If it was kitchen appliances it wouldn’t matter…
a) Who cares?
b) They’re all made in China.

Oxbiker….see point ‘A’ above…
What difference does it make if it’s Korea or China? They’re all somewhere between suspect, 2nd rate, or absolute junk.

April 1, 2010 at 12:22 am
(10) gw says:

Well I ride a Hyosung GT250, which incidentally was made in SOUTH KOREA. I have now done 120,000km in 3.5 years and it is still running fine!!!

April 1, 2010 at 8:20 am
(11) obxbiker says:

QUOTE FROM ANOTHER FORUM:
”Lets face it , trying to convert the thinking of numb-skulls that can’t or wont see that anything Asian outside of Japan does not mean “Chinese” and nor does cheap necessarily mean crap is a waste of good typing.

This type of person is incapable of disassociating the country of origin from the manufacturer’s willingness to produce product that is very much built to a price – this is basically the same very Western mind-set of “build what the company wants to sell rather than what the customer wants to buy” and is what has driven the US motor giants to the brink while the Japanese and South Koreans continue to experience solid returns. Hyundai continue to rate high in the annual US reliability studies, generally higher than US built product, yet I’m sure this individual will come back with “Chinese, Korean, its all junk”

We all know the Chinese can produce product that is good but that it costs much more to do so. Because the economics of the quality product largely preclude its export and the domestic market is not flush with disposable cash we don’t see such products – this is not a reflection on their manufacturing abilities, its simply economics.”

April 1, 2010 at 9:00 am
(12) Pete says:

1 – Yes “cheap” does mean crap…especially motor vehicles. That doesn’t mean a quality product isn’t over priced, but it also does not change the fact that the difference in quality is light years.
2 – Hyundai is doing well because the Korean currency is doing well – and – making a better product than the domestics is no big deal. That said, they have undeniably come a long way since the Pony days…they had no choice.
3 – There’s no point in the Chinese MC companies making the effort to try and build a quality product…no one can afford them in their home countries. It’s much easier to take a Honda or a Yamaha apart and copy every nut, bolt & washer, and then sell it is a “Hinda”.
I can honestly say I have never seen a single example of any of the Chinese garbage motorcycles you think so highly of on the road in Toronto or Vancouver – NOT ONE!
They have no foot hold in North America, and until they start building a decent product (price is NOT the issue) they will never will.

April 2, 2010 at 11:17 am
(13) Basem Wasef - Motorcycles Guide says:

obxbiker,

I remember your comments from this post, and I’ve gotta say, I admire your persistence.

A few notes:

* You’re right, Hyosung is South Korean, not Chinese– that’s been corrected.
* I’ve been in contact with QLINK, and according to them, the Legacy 250 is built by CF and imported by QLINK.
* The part about Hyosungs being rebadged into United Motors bikes has been changed to past tense.

Cheers,