1. Autos

Basem Wasef

Victory Clarifies: Motorcycle Production to Remain in USA, not Mexico

By May 22, 2010

Victory Motorcycles Made in America
A recent press release from Polaris announced that the American manufacturer is moving some of their production to Mexico, "in an effort to improve its long-term competitive positioning, increase operational efficiencies and position the company for future growth." The statement also mentioned that "The realignment will lead to the eventual sale or closure of Polaris' Osceola, Wisconsin manufacturing operations over time," echoing the all-too-common departure of American-based manufacturing to cheaper regions overseas.

But a follow-up missive clarified that "Victory Freedom V-Twin engines - a proprietary and original design for the Victory brand - will be moved to the Spirit Lake, Iowa, USA plant in 2011." The decidedly less buzzword-intensive email also emphasized the prior message's statement that "Victory motorcycle assembly will remain in the Company's Spirit Lake facility," cheekily adding that, "Victory motorcycles are still American Motorcycles - if you don't think so I would suggest not yelling your opinion out in the cafeteria in Spirit Lake!"

These are trying times for American manufacturing, so it's understandable that Victory feels the need to clarify their stance. Outsourcing has now become the rule, not the exception; even Italian brands like Vespa and Japanese manufacturers like Kawasaki and Honda are refocusing their production base to places like Indonesia and Thailand. Meanwhile, Harley-Davidson is augmenting its coffers by seeking increased sales from foreign markets.

>>Update: A Victory rep responded to my inquiry, clarifying that none of the motorcycle operations are moving overseas; all motorcycle and v-twin powerplant production will move to Spirit Lake, Iowa.<<

Source: Polaris

Related:

Photo Basem Wasef; Click for 2010 Victory Buyer's Guide

Comments
May 22, 2010 at 8:04 am
(1) Joe says:

This is not a good move by Victory if it moves production to Mexico. I think quality and public opinion will suffer for Victory if they do so.

May 25, 2010 at 6:33 am
(2) Daniel says:

Victory remains Victory wherever they go

May 25, 2010 at 10:04 am
(3) Pete says:

Tough call for any manufacturer these days though…especially a home grown one like Victory.
Move production out of the country and have a decent shot at keeping the doors open, or stay put and maybe have the honor of waving the flag on the way down.

May 25, 2010 at 11:19 am
(4) Joe says:

I know a few people that own Victory’s and they are very proud to know their bikes are made (assembled) in the US (kind of like HD owners). Don’t think it would be a good move by Victory to move production out of the US if the people I know that own Victory’s are an example of there customers.

May 26, 2010 at 12:06 pm
(5) Harley says:

Olah! and Hooray for Beectory para Polaris tambien! Everybody knows that the Mexican market for large, loaded expensive bikes especialmente para los snowmobiles is expanding rapidly!!!

May 26, 2010 at 3:56 pm
(6) daryl says:

AS YOU CAN SEE VICTORY IS NOT GOING ANYWHERE!!!!
THEY ARE GOING TO CONTINUE TO MAKE BIKES AT SPIRIT LAKE IOWA AND WILL BE MOVING THE ENGINE MANUFACTURING FROM OCELA WISCONSIN TO SPIRIT LAKE IOWA,WHERE THE REST OF THE BIKE IS MADE.
NOW ALL COMPONENTS WILL BE IN HOUSE AT SPIRITLAKE IOWA AND SAVE THE COMPANY TRUCKING COST FROM HAVING TO TRUCK THE ENGINES FROM WISCONSIN TO IOWA.

May 26, 2010 at 5:14 pm
(7) Peter says:

Bravo ! I would purchase brands no matter what the cost if the product supported my requirements and the
employees of the resident country, verses a company
outsourcing to the cheapest country or whatever.
Triumph comes to mind, now Victory. Again, BRAVO!

May 27, 2010 at 1:46 pm
(8) Darrell says:

I sold my Harley and will never forget the day I pulled up next to my bro’s on my Victory. Wow Victory Motorcycles are better than Harley’s in so many ways. Man was I proud. It was the rebel on an American motorcycle and I was working it hard. NOT ONE of those guys could say a word. They just stood there saying wow as my Ness Jackpot spoke in the louudest terms of authority!
LISTEN WHEN I TELL YOU THAT IF POLARIS MOVES TO MEXICO VICTORY MOTORCYCLES WILL LOOSE ALL CREDABILITY AS AN AMERICAN MOTORCYCLE! AND ONCE THE WORD IS OUT THEY WONT BE WORTH SPIT! VICTORY WILL GO UNDER AND I WILL HAVE TO GIVE ALL 4 OF MY VICTORY’S AWAY CAUSE “NO ONE” WILL WANT THEM! THERE STILL IS TIME TO SAVE VICTORY, POLARIS, SO KEEP VICTORY AMERICAN OR WE ARE”ALL” BE GONE.
DARRELL FORAKER
MR. VICTORY
SAVANNAH GA.

May 29, 2010 at 12:40 pm
(9) Skippy says:

Sure Darrel, just like everyone abandoned HD when the crates marked “made in japan” or “made in china” started arriving at the HD plant. Yup, they lost all credibility as a American motorcycle.

When the automakers started bulding drivelines and even whole cars in Mexico and Canada, they were no longer considered American brands by the masses. Now that Freightliners are made in Mexico, that is no longer an American brand either…

I hate to be the one to break it to ya, but this is nothing new. Been happening for years. The effect you speak of simply didn’t come to pass, did it?

May 30, 2010 at 9:14 am
(10) rival says:

right Skippy, Harley didn’t suffer. Just look at their stock decline, sales decline, and Victory’s rise in both. DUH!

July 24, 2011 at 8:10 am
(11) John says:

Another sad day in America. Another company giving American jobs to another country. With jobless rates as high as they are, now they take another hit. No wonder this country is going under.

May 25, 2012 at 9:15 am
(12) Jon says:

It’s apparent that a few of the other people on this did Not take the time to actually read the article. Victory makes a quality bike, and I’m happy to see they are considating operations in Spirit Lake.

April 24, 2014 at 7:27 pm
(13) Brent says:

NO NO NO! PLEASE NO! There are a lot of us trying our best to support American companies by giving them our business. I, as well as many other bikers refuse to ride anything that’s not made in America. I’ve been considering a change from Harley to Victory and I know for a fact I will not do it if you move to any other.country than the good ol U.S of A!