1. Autos

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

2011 Harley Davidson CVO motorcycles

>>UPDATE: IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR PHOTOS OF THE 2011 HARLEY-DAVIDSON CVO LINEUP, LOOK NO FURTHER AND CLICK HERE!<<

>>UPDATE: IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR PHOTOS OF THE ENTIRE 2011 HARLEY-DAVIDSON LINEUP, CLICK HERE!<<

... not really.

You see, I spent today sampling the 2011 Harley-Davidson CVO lineup on the stunning roads surrounding Lake Tahoe, but I also signed an agreement promising I wouldn't divulge details about the bikes until the press embargo lifts on July 27th, 2010.

So all I can tell you-- at least for the time being-- is that the CVO folks have been up to their usual cutting edge artistry, designing and building a unique crop of custom motorcycles which will be revealed on July 27th. Until then, take a look at our 2010 Harley CVO Buyer's Guide, and stay tuned for more from the Motor Company.

Related:

Photo Montage Basem Wasef

Comments
June 18, 2010 at 8:30 am
(1) Lux says:

“Cutting Edge Artistry”? You getting Checks Directly form the Company or do you fancy yourself a Comedian calling these Ancient design, Land Boats Cutting Edge?

June 18, 2010 at 9:55 am
(2) Basem Wasef - Motorcycles Guide says:

Lux,

I’m not referring to Harley’s mechanicals when I use the term “cutting edge artistry”; I’m talking about the CVO division’s craftsmanship in paints, upholstery, and finishes. They do a ton of original, in-house work using real people, not robots, incorporating unusual textures you’re not going to find from a mass produced bike assembled overseas. It takes 8 days to hand paint a CVO gas tank; if that’s not artistry, I don’t know what is.

Basem

June 18, 2010 at 11:24 am
(3) Joe says:

Thank YOU Basem for explaining that the CVO’s have a lot going for them. That said, I do think they are priced a little high.

June 18, 2010 at 12:34 pm
(4) Basem Wasef - Motorcycles Guide says:

Yeah, they’re mega expensive, and it’s hard for most people to wrap their heads around spending $35k on a bike… but CVOs always sell out, so it’s hard to blame Harley for selling them at those prices.

June 18, 2010 at 12:35 pm
(5) Scottie says:

Joe – a little high? 70% higher than a base vivid black is a lot of money. 200+% more than I paid for my Star.

They could start with an aluminum frame, some nice handling and some power on their standard models.

June 18, 2010 at 3:04 pm
(6) Sloan says:

Has anybody seen the Acura commercials? In one somebody explains all the silly reasons they bought some expensive watch then the voice over says, “There are excuses for spending money on luxury…and then there are reasons.” So basically there will always be a demand for items that may not make sense, but fulfill some need for somebody, logically or otherwise. Plus the commercials are pretty funny.

June 18, 2010 at 3:13 pm
(7) Pete says:

Scottie, Joe,
Cosmetically the CVO’s are most definitely far ahead of the bread & butter H-D’s.
However…
If you want a big touring bike that actually handles, goes, stops, and doesn’t cost even close to $35k, there’s a couple of choices…GL1800 being the class leader by a few light years.

June 18, 2010 at 4:38 pm
(8) Joe says:

Scottie,as I stated before, I think the CVO’s are to expensive, if HD could sell them for around $25 to $27k they would be a better deal. Comparing them to your Star ( which is a very nice bike but not in the CVO league) is like comparing apples and oranges. Comparing the CVO’s to the new Indian Chief would be a better comparison. Pete, I think the CVO’s are far better cosmetically to the GL1800 but the Honda is a WAY better value then the CVO’s and if I would choose (assuming I hit the lottery) I would pick the Honda over the CVO and spend the $15K or so on a second bike.

June 19, 2010 at 12:16 am
(9) groupw says:

>> 200+% more than I paid for my Star.

…….. in other words then, the CVO really IS a screamin’ deal !

June 19, 2010 at 2:08 pm
(10) JASON says:

COMPAIRING A ROAD STAR AND A HARLEY TOGETHER IS LIKE COMPARING A TOYOTA TO A LEXUS. THEY ARE THE SAME YES BUT YOU GET GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. BOY THOSE ROAD STAR CLUBS SURE ARE COOL ARNT THEY. CANT WAIT TO SEE THEM ON THEIR OWN TV SHOW. SONS OF THE COFFEE SHOP. CANT AFFORD IT DONT RIDE IT.

June 20, 2010 at 11:51 am
(11) Scottie says:

Actually, I have a Stratoliner, not a Road Star. While its style may not be everyone’s cup of tea, the power and handling advantages are fact.

June 20, 2010 at 11:25 pm
(12) Blaine says:

I personally am going to purchase a new 11 HD later in the year. Being a veteran rider of over42 years I can say yes, there are technologically advanced motorcycles available. Or is that really a true statement? How can a 108 year old motorcycle company captivate the imagination of so many with what some believe is ancient technology? The answer is simplicity and knowing what riding is all about. I for one don’t like to fiddle with gadgetry when I am living the open road. The view, the smells, the air whisking by, and that thunderous v-twin breathing between my legs. Yea, that is as close as you’ll ever get to an open plain cowboy riding off into the sunset. Happy Trails!! (2001 Road King Classic)

June 21, 2010 at 9:54 am
(13) Pete says:

Blaine..Wow!
You’re in the wrong business…you should be working for HD’s ad agency. That was quite the load of manure, but it would make a great commercial.
There’s something else that goes along with that 108 year old technology…making sure you have a trailer or a truck handy.

June 21, 2010 at 10:44 am
(14) Joe says:

Pete, what do you base that comment on (making sure you have a trailer or a truck handy.) ???? My friend’s Star has had waaaayyyyy more problems (2 stators in 30,000 miles) then my HD. Maybe that comment would be more in line if you have a Yamaha.

June 21, 2010 at 10:37 pm
(15) Pete says:

Hi Joe,
I’ve had a number of friends over the years with HD’s and no one spent more time on the side of the road with a wrench in their hand than they did.
Did Honda’s & Yamaha’s break now and again? Yes, but far & away, it was an HD that let someone down.
Now – quite a few – not all – of those were hybrids built out of a 1955 engine case, and 1967 heads, mated to a 1970 transmission bolted in to a who the hell knows frame.
I have little experience with a factory built ‘stock’ Harley…I don’t know any one who can afford one.
What can I say? – not an HD fan.
Cheers!

June 22, 2010 at 6:33 am
(16) J says:

When will Harley announce its regular 2011 line up – NON CVO that is..

June 22, 2010 at 7:14 am
(17) Joe says:

Well Pete, that explains a lot, If you make a Frankenstein bike, weather HD or Metric I’m sure you are going to have problems, especially if you are using 30 or 40 yr old engines. Seemed like if you don’t know much about Stock HD’s you shouldn’t make comments that they break down all the time because I know a LOT of HD riders and their bikes run as well as Metrics if not better. I’m not a Ducati or Aprilia fan (think the Japanese make WAYYY better bikes and that their bikes are over priced) but I don’t make comments that they break down all the time (I don’t know anything about their reliability). J, the regular HD line up comes out some time in late Aug. to early Sept.

June 22, 2010 at 1:18 pm
(18) Larry says:

Coke and Pepsi. Ford and Chevy. Harley and Yamaha?

June 23, 2010 at 12:41 pm
(19) Sunrider00 says:

I have been riding since 1968. My first bike was a Honda 175 twin. I have owned 5 other Honda’s including a Wing, two Yamaha’s and on my 3rd Harley, a 2009 Electra-Glide Classic. I have over 500,000 miles under my seat so I feel I am qualified to answer some of the ridiculous comments on Harley here.

My Harley’s have not broken down any more frequently than the metric bikes. When my HD did break down, the Motor Company fixed an issue 7 years out of warranty! Try that on a metric bike!

In addition, my 1990 Electra-Glide, which sold for $9300.00 new, sold for $7500.00 19 years later. Metric resale anyone?

Last but not least, I am a former Marine and I BUY AMERICAN when I can. Harley respects the military and provides incentives to our warriors which I support.

There is nothing wrong with buying a Harley or a metric bike. What is important is RIDING in the wind. I will wave because you are on a bike not which brand. Wave back will ya?

June 23, 2010 at 12:46 pm
(20) Ron Hunter says:

I trust that in the new CVOs, Harley will continue to incorporate the latest, and best cutting edge technology that the 1940s had to offer; like air cooling, overhead valves (or even better, side valves), oil leaks, so the oil gets replaced without having to “change” it, poor cornering clearance, so old farts won’t try to go too fast in the corners, unbalanced cranks for super vibration so that old, rusty parts will fall off and be replaced by new ones, and while they’re at it, get rid of that 20th century fuel injection and put back the leaky, rough running carburetors. That’ll be sure to increase sales to the Harley crowd.

I can hardly wait to read a test report.

June 23, 2010 at 3:08 pm
(21) Rider says:

OVER PRICED AND OVER RATED–What more can I say. Owned a H.D. once, never own another again. Don`t need another house payment. The wing is the king of the touring world. H.D. needs a good water cooled touring bike at a price that you can say yes to, not say oh s–t to.

June 23, 2010 at 7:12 pm
(22) Joe says:

The Goldwing cost as much as any stock HD if not more Rider. Goldwings run in the $20k+ new.

June 23, 2010 at 10:08 pm
(23) BigBadJaime says:

It amazes me and pisses me off how well Harley with thousands of employees guards the secret details of their new model year. Screw the CVOs, I just hope they at least make 103 cu in engine or larger standard and maybe water cooled so we don’t look like a joke compared to Victory, Star etc.

June 23, 2010 at 10:23 pm
(24) DD says:

I work on both metric and harley bikes. Take a stratoliner/wing against a harley and which one is better? Depends on the consumer, some like chocolate and some like vanilla.

Let’s fast forward to the bikes having 75k miles on them and which one would I like to take in for an inspection and or maintenance or service. I never had to adjust valves on the harley. The metric has more covers and plastic parts to remove and when you do tabs break and you have to pay for the replacement.

Lets say both bike need a voltage regulator. I can get the harley back on the road the same day but more often than not I have to wait about a week for a replacement part from the metric dealer.

The metrics produce more power and are smoother off the shelf but Harley consumers have some expectation of the vibration and sound that makes them unique. Put a set of pipes on VTX1800 and you get a motorboat sounding ride.

If economics are part of the equation then buy a metric. Take the Harley if you want to hold onto the bike and maybe when you think of trading get a paint job and set of wheels and you have a new bike.

The point is this: it is impossible to say that one is far and better than the other. It is what you want, both make a good product.

June 24, 2010 at 8:24 am
(25) Scottie says:

DD

75,000 miles on a Harley without a valve adjustment? Must have had a new motor at 30k and 60k. Just kidding. I may buy an Ultra someday. My friend calls his a “bucket of bolts and spare parts”, but beautiful bike, nonetheless.

I bought metric because it was the right price and I had the cash. I don’t finance toys and riding a motorcycle is recreation, not my life.

Not even thinking about changing the exhaust on my Stratoliner because it will never sound like a Harley.

Also, if Star wants to get near MSRP, the Stratoliner should come standard with passing lamps, engine guard, passenger floorboards, etc.

June 27, 2010 at 10:28 am
(26) bear says:

Metric riders trash Harleys as a matter of course…a sort of inferiority thing, I reckon.

I ride a Harley long distances…just finished a two week tour. I haven’t always been a Harley rider. Started with a BSA Lightning in ’69, moved to a Honda 305, 750, Kaw 900…etc.

I like the Goldwing’s ride…it is just such a butt ugly piece of plastic, though…kind of like what would happen if a Winnebago and a Concourse morphed together.

June 27, 2010 at 7:02 pm
(27) Awingwilly says:

Have both in the garage. Wing and an Ultra. Wife will be getting a bew Ultra. Her wing is just not the bike my Ultra is. My 2003 Wing was a mess. Broken frame, trans 4 ecm modules. Cheap my butt. 24,000 will buy a Wing or Ultra. Yes we ride cross country and local trips. It comes to what you want and to take you to your destination. They all have been seen on the road side.

June 28, 2010 at 11:20 am
(28) Rider says:

Yes the import bikes cost less and are easier to ride? But I am very concerned with some of the comments made on this post. Do you live in America? Some of you are the same individuals bitching about lossing jobs while riding your import. They are NOT Harleys! They are designed and assembled by individuals that are being paid so little that they themselves could not own one. Wake up ride your imports and bitch that the Country is suffering. Import bike are exactly that an import. Yes! If I were Japaneese I would ride a Honda. Until then I ride a Harley. Harleys are American and I fight everyday for that right!

June 29, 2010 at 9:24 am
(29) Big Cahuna says:

Have had 3 Harleys only problem was a roadster oil breather. new GL1800 is $22,000.Made in Japan now that Marysville is only making cars .Most Jap bikes are made in the USA.Just like Hiunda made in Alabama or somewhere in the south.Treat your people right and you dont need a union and prices are lower .Although the foreign car workers in the USA are still making over $20.00 @hr.

June 30, 2010 at 10:40 am
(30) Poobaw says:

Just so ya know…many harley components are Made in Japan.

June 30, 2010 at 11:25 am
(31) Joe says:

Poobaw, just to let you know, most people buy a Harley because it’s a good product and that the bikes are made by an American company and assembled in the USA. I think everyone knows that there are foreign parts on an HD as with almost anything now a days.

July 4, 2010 at 12:03 pm
(32) Mike says:

AMERICAN MADE! ENOUGH SAID!

July 5, 2010 at 12:06 pm
(33) Mike says:

Whats the deal with you guys. I came looking for info on the 2011′s and I get the same old bickering about Jap bikes and Harleys. Bitch if you want about the price but just don’t buy one if you feel that way. I don’t complain that a Ferrari costs way more than a Toyota. Just ride whatever you got and be happy you are able to do it. I’m just glad I can say what I want and ride what I want in this country.

July 5, 2010 at 10:12 pm
(34) scott says:

Gentlemen, there is an old saying about riding a Harley, and it goes like this:”For those who understand, no explanation is needed. For those who don’t understand, no explanation is possible.”

July 6, 2010 at 6:16 pm
(35) Dave H says:

Debating the differences between a Harley and a Ricer is pointless. Everybody rides their own ride. It’s just more likely that someone will turn their head to watch a Harley go by than they would with almost any other 2 wheeler. There is a beauty to a Harley that I don’t see in any other touring bike.

CVO is very expensive, I agree. I’d sure rather order a factory 110ci than have a dealer mechanic retrofit a new bike with one, but that’s the H-D rules and the only way to keep a warranty on a 110 upgrade.

July 7, 2010 at 1:30 pm
(36) Malcolm says:

Lux the electronics on any 2006 and above Harley model are far more advanced that any knock off Jap copy.
But the new models all come with Catalytic converters… so I’m not too excited about any new bike from Harley Davidson.

July 7, 2010 at 1:40 pm
(37) Malcolm says:

The only real problems that Harleys suffer as far as Maintenance is owner maintenance. People do things to these bikes that is either off the wall or ill advised.
I’ve seen WAY more Jap bikes (Yamaha mostly) on the side of the road due to poor production and shotty mechanical issues. (rear cylinder leaks and metal spurs in transmission gears)
You can moan on and on how great your jap bike is and how it would be nice to have a bike with an alluminium frame but Harleys are built heavy for a reason, they last and will always be on the road… long after your 2010 Road Turd dies and you lose interest guys like me (Harley Mechanics) will be making sure our customer’s 54 Panhead is ready for another summer season of riding.

July 8, 2010 at 3:36 am
(38) Thommo says:

Buy what ya like boys but your Jappa’s don’t mean nothing. Harleys aren’t just about the ride…

July 13, 2010 at 7:54 am
(39) reallynow says:

some of the comments here are pretty funny, but I still can not for the life of me understand how someone can think that their Hd is superior to any other (even close to CC) Motorcycle in any way outside of pure pleasure to look at!

they have barely and I do barely improved on the engine design since they came out with the overhead valve *knucklehead* in ’36

in fact in some ways (with pressed together flywheels that we have seen actually spin) gone backwards, it has taken them over 10 years to try and fix a bike that was known for wobbles with that rubber mounted rear swingarm! I mean the aftermarket world had a fix for them FAR before HD!
Now if you think I’m slamming HD your just a blinded idiot that really has no idea what makes your HD tick, (I own 9 of them and have worked on them 30 yrs now)

I’m just stating the facts and those are the facts, the engine has always been a hard engine to get power out of compared to any other brands V-Twin or not (comparing even close CC), it’s the same design they have used since their 1st V-Twin engine, single rod pin crank, there is only so much you can do with it!

If your buying a Harley, your buying it purely because of one or two things, one you just love the looks, or TWO: you have to be cool since it is cool these days to own a Harley, (and no I’m not counting those of you that have owned harley’s for 30 or more years) and don;t give me that “it’s Made in the U.S. crap, hell I bet 75% of you own a foreign made vehicle and go look in your damn house, hell you can;t even get American made appliances today! because you all bought the cheap crap from overseas all these years!

July 16, 2010 at 2:04 pm
(40) HD forever says:

It amazes me how many of the Non-Harley owners complain so much or compare other vehicles to a HD. If all the metric cruisers would actually take a New HD for a test ride they would be able to make an actual opinion about the new HD’s. The technology of 108 years tucked inside the newer HD’s if far superior to most other manufactures when it comes to GEOMETRY of a bike and steering angles. I have not yet seen any police dept. cruising on a Goldwings or RoadStars. Yes a metric performance bike but most prefer a 800lb. Road King any day to one of the other. They can spin around on a floor board very easily on a 2 lane road and maneuver circles around the competition. Sure ground clearance does suck some times, but you get used to what your bike can do or not. I do wish all metric guys would stop by a HD Dealership and TAKE A TEST RIDE you will see why they like HD’s. I have driven almost every new bike out there and can’t find anything better than a new HD (FLHX for me). Yes I am in the motorcycle industry and have ridden a couple 100,000 miles… Please stop by and RIDE ONE than you can say what you think.

O Yea, ever seen an empty service department of any manufaturer??? Everything breaks at different times, that just goes with a man made mechanical item…

July 17, 2010 at 7:54 am
(41) The Difference says:

What is the real difference between a Harley and any thing else? I own and ride an older Honda, and it’s a pretty sharp bike and my father in law owns a couple of Harleys. When I stop somewhere on my Honda I have never had some one say that it was a cool or awesome bike. I have never went into a store and come back outside to find some one drooling over my Honda. My father in law let me borrow his plain 1978 Sporty for one day. I wound up getting more compliments on his Sporty in one day than the whole entire time that I owned the Honda. It all comes down to american heritage. HD is an American Legend and people are willing to lay down alot of dough to buy a piece of it.

July 17, 2010 at 3:16 pm
(42) Jim says:

I’ll ride my Harleys which I have been doing since the early 70s and you can ride your
HARLEY SAKIs Just don’t forget to squint them eyes and buck them teeth out while your riding them LMAO

July 18, 2010 at 10:00 pm
(43) jim g says:

When someone sees a sweet looking cruiser and the badging doesn’t give it away, they (including myself in the past)… ask ” Is that a harley?” if the reply is “no its a …”, then they say “Oh,…. it still looks nice”. Who is doing the copycatting I ask you?? not harley! in fact harley is the copycatted, they inspire the jap copycats. Yamaha raider is a badass looking bike, bet its fun to ride too, but the idea of owning one doesn’t excite me like the idea of owning a harley. Harley is at the top of the hill, unfortunately if you want to enjoy the top of the hill, you pay a top of the hill/premium price, if the top of the hill isn’t for you or with in your means, that’s ok, just don’t don’t fling your feces uphill while trying to convince others the view is better from down there.

July 18, 2010 at 10:46 pm
(44) Colejk says:

I work for the Harley importer in Korea, and we do quite well as they are the #1 bike over 651cc here.
What many people don’t know is that also, since 2001 H-D is the #1 bike over 651cc IN JAPAN. Yeah that’s right, in the land of the Rising Sun, Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda. Why is that?
Frankly speaking, American cars just aren’t desirable, but when it comes to bikes, Harleys dominate all over the world in their heavy-weight segment. I just can’t understand how Americans can not be proud of such an iconic American brand and product.
Of course the technology isn’t state of the art but they are built so well and capture the essence of motorcycling.
AND BELIEVE ME, OUR CUSTOMERS BUY BECAUSE IT SAYS “MADE IN USA”. God Bless Milwaukee!

July 19, 2010 at 8:05 am
(45) ALBY says:

Nobody ever walks up to a bar and asks for Jack Daniels and Pepsi….

July 20, 2010 at 12:03 am
(46) Mike says:

Insulting other riders or their bike of choice, simply because you don’t ride what they ride?????

Only conversational cripples subscribe to judging others by what they own, ride, eat, drink or marry.

July 20, 2010 at 12:23 pm
(47) Papa D says:

While it may be true that you can buy a better bike for less money. Ya gotta give HD cudos for Customer Loyaly and Retention. After all How often do you see HONDA or YAMAHA Tatooed on one of thier customer.

July 22, 2010 at 8:09 am
(48) Ed says:

before you start bashing Harley you need to read this…that is if you can read?

July 22, 2010 at 2:34 pm
(49) Rome says:

Is the paint quality better on a CVO? Not the design, but the actual quality.

July 24, 2010 at 11:20 pm
(50) Springer says:

Wow!!!!!!

I would not strap my leg over a Jap bike for all the JD in Tenneessee…. Now, with that said, that is just my leg that I am talking about. Those who complain about breaking down, that is why they ride a rice burner or Beemer or?? Because they do not know how to fix it if it where to break and their paranoia kills the ride. “Ride it like you can fix it”

July 25, 2010 at 11:11 am
(51) Stephen Legg says:

2011 CVO models ? Real cute a**hole!

July 25, 2010 at 3:45 pm
(52) motorcycles says:

Relax, Stephen… all in good fun.

As mentioned in the post, all will be revealed on Tuesday.

Basem

July 26, 2010 at 3:55 am
(53) turbo says:

I want to see a basic old school come back. I have been searching the webb butt have yet to find. I want to see a victory old school. Not avail. so I tghought I would maybe design my own any input would be used . Thanks please send response to email tffarm@cpcinternet.com

July 26, 2010 at 12:27 pm
(54) bill says:

does every thread about harleys have to decend into import bike riders complaining about the over priced harleys? i have nothing against either one, and yes harley is over priced, so what? they are still selling. if you think they are over priced, then dont buy one…pretty simple…funny how i never hear these same people complaining that audi or porche are over priced compared to buicks and fords….ride what you like and STFU about it already….

July 26, 2010 at 1:38 pm
(55) Haywood J Blowmee says:

What a bail out posting !! So glad you had the grand pleasure of test riding then telling us NOTHING !! How about CVO’s trike project will be 50k !!

July 26, 2010 at 8:44 pm
(56) Mark says:

STAR??? What is a Star and why do they ALWAYS seem to worm their way into Harley topics totell everyone why they couldn’t afford a Harley? Geez Scottie give me a break

July 26, 2010 at 9:17 pm
(57) robert says:

Harleys are by far the best bike to own, People that complain about them most likely can not afford them. Comparing a Yamaha to a Harley is insulting to a real Harley owner. This is America and everyone is free to make their own choices but these morons that get on here and compare jap bikes to Harleys is just a joke. I do speak from experience as I have been riding for 28 years and have owned almost every brand available. People should be comparing Harleys to BMW’s not Kawasaki, Yamaha, Honda or Suzuki. Those are the 4 that are comparable to each other not Harley. Harley is a whole different level and should not be mentioned in the same sentence with those. Now I am not saying that those are bad bikes at all, I have had all of those bikes and they are nice bikes, just not comparable to Harley.

July 26, 2010 at 10:22 pm
(58) James says:

There is a Harley and there is the others – Harleywantabe! And that’s the bottom line. Some do, some don’t – some can, some want. You either have one, get one, or you don’t………, harley riders don’t put other’s down, but others just decide to belittle themself and degrade Harley. Just ride!

July 26, 2010 at 10:28 pm
(59) James says:

There’s Harleys and then there is other motorcycles – Harleywantabe !

July 27, 2010 at 8:17 am
(60) Hydro says:

Ok, today is the day! Spill the beens. Embargo over!

July 27, 2010 at 10:22 am
(61) Basem Wasef - Motorcycles Guide, About.com says:

Hydro,

Almost there… embargo lifts at 10am PST / 1pm EST!

Basem

July 27, 2010 at 11:35 am
(62) dw says:

Man, I can’t wait until they reveal! Just more fodder for the ney-sayers. I have to agree with an earlier poster, when I looked at getting back into riding I looked at Harley and BMW. They are MY idea of touring bikes. Notice how I said MY idea. I didn’t buy my Harley for you or your dislike of it. I bought my Harley for ME! I also had one of the miserable AMF Harleys back in the early ’80s. I got tired of pushing it so at that time I bought a Honda V65. But, after researching the performance characteristics of the newer Harleys I chose to go that route. I like the sound and the ride I get from my Road Glide. The technological things done to the 2009 model have made a difference for me. That is all that matters is satisfying ME, I am the one paying for it. I just hope you will still wave as we meet along the road if you see me. We are all different than the masses; we dare to go on two wheels when most won’t go on four.

July 27, 2010 at 11:54 am
(63) Hexter says:

Basem, thought I heard there was a link to watch the presentation live. Is there?

July 27, 2010 at 12:06 pm
(64) Basem Wasef - Motorcycles Guide, About.com says:

Hexter,

Not yet… it’ll be live at 10am PST… soon!

Basem

July 27, 2010 at 4:18 pm
(65) Bret says:

Boy…there sure are a lot of fans of bike manufacturers other than HD here hatin’ on Harley. Those other companies have sites with comment sections but few Harley folks commenting. Hmmmmmmmmm …..sour grapes maybe from wannabes. Some advice…..save up, buy a Harley and shut up !!

July 27, 2010 at 5:39 pm
(66) James says:

They just cant seem to get rid of that vibration. 108 years and they still cant figure out how to get rid of it. Great work guys. Try a Wing. You will never own another HD.

July 27, 2010 at 6:22 pm
(67) DesertRider says:

I see a 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra in my future. It’s probably going to be Rio Red but I would take the Gold version as a close 2nd choice.

Everything I want, frame mounted fairing, 110ci Engine, XM Radio, IPod, Zumo, Heated Seats and Handles, enhanced security. Wow!

July 28, 2010 at 4:51 pm
(68) wanna' be and gonna' be says:

I never owned a bike in my life but have always wanted one. Can’t even say I know how to ride one but WILL learn…sure I’ve driven friend’s bikes but that doesn’t count. Tomorrow I’m buying a 2011 Harley Nightrod Special. I’m having the stock pipes replaced with some Vance & Hines…I want that loud and throaty Harley rumble…which only a harley can produce.

August 3, 2010 at 10:37 pm
(69) Larry T says:

The motor cycle industry as a whole needed to come up with a better solution to the new 2010 EPA Standards than leaning out the AFR and sticking a Catalytic Converter in the exhaust system. On a modern Metric bike that is water cooled, no problem but for the 70 year old engine design HD sells the cat it is a death sentence. It makes the touring run to hot and kills the signature sound. They could get a few more years out of the ol Twin Cam if they had thought out of the box and just did not mimick the automotive industry.

The big touring bikes are hot in the summer in traffic and running oil temps that don’t bode well for extended engine life.

Milwaukie, we have a problem!

August 7, 2010 at 9:12 am
(70) B says:

Victory still smokes em. 2011 models are 106ci with 113 lbs of torque stock on all models. Much better tech and a whole lot easier on the pocket. Only problem is resale sucks but hey I buy em and keep em just so I can tinker with the old ones. I’ve got a 05 8-ball that is now a pro-street custom and that will go for my 09 Jackpot after I buy a new hammer 8-ball this month.

September 1, 2010 at 12:28 am
(71) sixrider says:

Sweet Jesus will it ever end I ridden since long before I was legal 14 on the road no license and all The problem is this when I came up Harley’s WERE junk anybody out there remember AMF. They ruined Harleys rep for many of us and its damn hard to forget BRAND NEW harleys at the roadside. Harley finally builds a bike worth buying and those of us who want a cruiser cannot and willnot justify the cost to wave the Made in USA banner. I have owned and ridden some of the best and worst (anybody want a yamaha 3 cylinder) jap bikes out there. SHUT UP, SHARE THE ROAD, AND A LITTLE DAMN RESPECT WHILE YOUR AT IT, AND RIDE. BIKES ARE COOL, YOUR NOT, GET OVER YOURSELVES. PS liking harleys cuz felons ride them says more about you than you’d like to tell your mom. If you ride to look tough, your not. If you ride to enjoy you might be thats IT.

February 8, 2011 at 4:34 am
(72) pop says:

Bought my first used hd in 1976 working 2nd shift in the cottin mill while in high school. Yes the old amf had problems but I still miss her.When I kicked her over everyone stopped what they were doing.If I was sitting on my front porch in june watching an ant walk by on the sidewalk and a ricegrinder went by I wouldn’t look up,But I would get out of bed on a cold Jan. morning just to hear an old shovlehead go up the road.If you don’t believe me ask your girlfriend.Ask her which one see would rather ride on. Can’t wait to get my 2011 110ci screaming eagle flhx streetglide.oh yea, nothin rides like a electraglide.