1. Autos

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Basem Wasef

Neighbor's Noisy Motorcycle: What Would You Do?

By January 17, 2011

Loud Motorcycle Exhaust
What would you do if your neighbor's ear-splitting motorcycle exhaust woke you up every morning, 2 hours early?

That's the scenario the missus and I have found ourselves in, with the cough of an air-cooled v-twin creating an unwanted alarm clock just outside our bedroom window. Ironically, I tend to work late into the evening writing about motorcycles (and can't blame the guy for letting his carbureted engine run for several minutes before he jets, especially since my How to Ride a Motorcycle article advises proper engine warmup.) But the fact that he's running excessively loud, aftermarket pipes has wrecked my sleep schedule, not to mention the peace of the entire block.

California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger's Senate Bill 435 passed last year, and will require an EPA sticker to be displayed on all bikes manufactured after January 1, 2013 in order to prove their compliance to 80 decibel noise limits and emissions standards. But the law is a feeble gesture that's easily circumvented; nothing would stop a would-be offender from removing the baffles from within a stock exhaust system, while leaving the sticker intact. Or better yet, the purpose of the law becomes moot if stickers are simply slapped onto offending pipes.

So, back to my predicament: if you were in my shoes, what would you do-- and have you ever faced this problem yourself? I've posed the question in my Forum, and want to hear your advice; click "Comments," and share your thoughts!

Sleepless in Los Angeles,
Basem

Related:

Photo © Basem Wasef; click to enlarge

Comments
January 18, 2011 at 6:33 am
(1) Joe says:

Did you try talking to this neighbor, I’m sure he has seen that you ride also and that may help in talking to him. Hopefully you will be able to come to a compromise with him. Shame people are not more considerate to others and laws have to be passed for a few.

January 18, 2011 at 9:00 am
(2) Dabber says:

It’s hard to convince people of this, I get the old safety issue, or I get “I just like the way it sounds screw other people” Having had bikes like these in the past, people I rode with all had these pipes. It’s irritating and inconsiderate of others. I’d like to send all offenders a copy of that south park episode that addresses this topic. Personal freedoms shouldn’t interfere with other peoples peace and happiness. Plus it rarely increases performance, it’s just loud.

January 18, 2011 at 10:46 am
(3) Phoebe says:

I’ve actually thought about this when I purchased a Buell Cyclone in October. The riding season is over for me right now, since I live in New England, so I haven’t really gotten the chance to subject my elderly neighbors with the song from my D&D exhaust just yet. To keep the peace, I’m going to fab up a little quiet insert or resonator to stick into the exhaust outlet while I’m letting the bike warm up. I think it’s the neighborly thing to do =)

January 18, 2011 at 12:14 pm
(4) Scottie says:

I got my my license in 2004 and would occasionally rent Harleys from Eagle Rider. In order to get my money’s worth I would get up early on Sunday to get a few more miles on the bike before returning it at noon. We were still in Dallas then, close to downtown, with neighbors within close proximity, so the few bikes I rented that had the baffles knocked out certainly got the Methodists and Baptists to church on time.

I live near some elite (or just too expensive) schools on the upper east side in Manhattan and I notice the school buses (mostly Escalades and S classes) now all have a significant rumble in their exhaust.

So I guess the question is: do we want more regulation or not? Ask H-D to make their stock pipes more appealing and kill the aftermarket? I don’t know?

With the caveat that I own a Stratoliner, I think Yamaha has done a nice job with compliance and appealing sound.

January 18, 2011 at 12:49 pm
(5) Shannon says:

Don’t be a dumbass, use a little common sense and go talk yo him, if he is an a**hole, then you will know. But a little talking to a person will go a long way as far as respect goes. I have done a few things my neighbors don’t like, they’re way of dealing with me is to write me an annonymous letters, now seriously folks, is that really gonna get me to comply, NOT!!! Just pisses me off because they don’t have enough respect for me to just come over and say something. Most of the time, I would probably comply with their request, just because it don’t mean that much to me. So just talk to your neighbor.

January 18, 2011 at 1:31 pm
(6) vermin883 says:

It’s a thing you need to talk to the nabour about being we who ride bikes that need to warm up need to let them run but that only for a time of less then ten minutes then your back to lala land. If the nabour has a garage ask him the keep the door closed that will muff the sound a little if he is doing this outside. Bikers are getting the bad rap again with this loud pipes crap there are more loud trucks,tuners and hotrods on the road then there are bikes so come on and give us a break if it goe’s for bikes then it has to go for ALL LOUD EXHAUST PIPES.

January 18, 2011 at 2:59 pm
(7) Steve in GA says:

Not having any consideration for others is a sign of our times. Your neighbor shows his lack of thought for others with his motorcycle exhaust. Other folks show their, “To heck with everyone else” attitude by not using turn signals and cutting in front of other traffic.

Your neighbor has shown that he considers himself part of the jerk side of humanity by having pipes that are loud enough to disturb the neighborhood even when his motorcycle is just idling. And personally, I have not had much success when trying to convince a jerk that he should show a little more consideration for others, so I don’t think you will have a lot of luck if you tell him that his pipes are too loud. He already knows the exhaust is loud enough to disturb others, and he obviously doesn’t care.

Most cities have, “causing a disturbance” or “excessive noise” ordinances, although these local laws often apply only during certain nighttime hours. If your city does have such an ordinance, see if the cops will talk to this guy for you. If that doesn’t work, you can try what I did the last time I had a neighbor from Hell: I sold my house and moved.

January 18, 2011 at 7:59 pm
(8) Pete says:

The pipes on my Superhawk are fairly loud…certainly louder than I planned on now that any packing they may had is long gone. That said, I know they’re loud, especially at 7AM when I leave for work so I run it just long enough in the garage to take the choke off (high as kite in a couple minutes!) then coast down the road a 100′ … as far away as I can get, then let it warm up properly.
8 years now, same bike, same pipes, same neighbours and not a word from anyone. Just as a complete lack of consideration is evident, (Basems neighbour) so is an sincere attempt to lessen the ‘offending’ sound.
I can’t wait for Spring…let the V-twin Concerto begin!

January 18, 2011 at 8:05 pm
(9) Pete says:

And as it turns out, about 10 houses up the road is complete idiot with a beater R6 and an ear bleeding gawd awful pipe on it. To make matters worse he rides on our narrow residential street – kids & dogs all over the place – like an axxhole!
He has no idea how close he has come a few times to a face full of garden hose, or 2×4 through his front wheel.
!@#$%^&*&(^%!!!

January 19, 2011 at 1:10 am
(10) papajuliet says:

I find the “did you try talking to your neighbor” line of reasoning particularly funny. Imagine you did talk to your neighbor and you the response was the usual litany of hare-brained justifications for shattering the peace with the pursuit of this silly “lifestyle”. For example, “that’s the sound of freedom”, or “I fought in (insert the conflict name) so that people in America could ride loud motorcycles”, or “you want to get your ass kicked?, or the most often heard nonsense ” loud pipes save lives’. Bottom line is that it is illegal to disturb the peace in every community in America. It’s also illegal to modify one’s exhaust in every state in the Union. Back a few years ago when there were only a few tens of thousands of barbarians, faux or otherwise, it wasn’t much of a problem. But now that every pathetic middle-aged male in the U.S. needs a Harley to get through his mid-life crisis the peace of most communities has been shattered by this small but loud special-interest group. You can help by adding your name to the petition below. Also, a link to the South Park episode that directly addresses this growing blight.

January 19, 2011 at 2:51 am
(11) Basem Wasef - Motorcycles Guide, About.com says:

Folks,

I’m hoping to talk to him, tell him I’m a fellow rider, and see if there’s a way to reduce the sound exposure; trouble is, I’m usually barely waking up when he’s just about to roar off, and I haven’t been able to catch him on the way back.

Might just be easier to write this web address on a card, and leave it on his bike :)

Basem

January 19, 2011 at 9:03 am
(12) Pete says:

Sounds like PJ had a bad experience with a noisy HD when he was young, and it traumatized him.

January 19, 2011 at 10:14 am
(13) Ron says:

Talking to him is ALWAYS the best way to start. It will make you more of a man (you’ll feel it,believe me…Just face your fears.) He will respect you more,whether he’s an a hole or not. And by trying conversation first (keep track of dates and times)you will have a documented record of your attempts if this thing ends up escalating (going to court etc). You will create alot of hard feelings if the police or some agency is the first to talk to him. He may be oblivious. There’s alot of that going around.

Signed: an older and wiser enthusiast

January 19, 2011 at 11:39 am
(14) Poppa Smurf says:

I believe that if my neighbor was a rider and lived next door and I wrote about motorcycles I would know my neighbor. Is it so far beyond your personal space that you have no relationship with your neighbor? My own neighbor has drag car and he starts his car up late at night, but when I ask him to hold it down after midnight he said “oh yeah, sorry”, MY POINT IS do not air your laundry in public, just ask your neighbor to hold it down. Then if he doesnt then take action..
Poppa Smurf
53 year rider

January 19, 2011 at 11:49 am
(15) Victor says:

I’ve been Lucky – the neighborhood that i live in, no one has complained about how loud my bike is. I know my neighbors and we all hang out together. No one has ever said anything especially when we have people sleep over the night before our long trip. There is usually 6 of us that will pull out of the drive at 4am. And yes, we all have COBRA exhaust.

Massachusettes in 2010 just started mandating that all bikes have a EPA stamp, and I personally don’t think it’s fair. Me and the group of people i ride with, we strongly believe it’s more of a safety feature than looks, sound, and being cool.

Fair is fair. If they are going to crack on the loudness of motorcycle exhaust, they should do the same with all the cars that have custom exhausts, and with the kids who drive around playing their ghetto music so loud, that the bass vibrates everything in the house.

January 19, 2011 at 12:00 pm
(16) Irv says:

Got a similar situation here in Colorado. Guy right across the street moves in with 2 BIG noisy Harleys, rides every morning to work, starts it up and idles forever richocheting off his garage door to my bedroom window. Then gets on and blasts up the street. Always leaves the garage door open when he is not riding so I thought of sticking a potatoe in his tail pipe. Finally spoke to him, he says he is having the bike worked on this winter (leaks like crazy) and he is getting new pipes and removing all the baffles from that one! Funniest part is that he said when he moved here from another part of the city he could not believe how quiet it was here. (HA = until he showed up with 2 Harleys !!!)

January 19, 2011 at 12:20 pm
(17) Mark S says:

Talk to them first, if they are reasonable and freinds then that should do it, if not then call the cops and file a complaint. If that does not work either then they are ignorant and the community should also file a complaint, but making sure it is purely from a noise perspective and not against motorcyclists in general.

I am a motorcyclist too, but I can’t stand other fellow riders who abuse our rights to be on the road in a respectful manner. It’s hard enough the AMA and other organizations are fighting to keep our interests in the forefront of government officials and fight for our rights to be on or more so lately off road.

January 19, 2011 at 12:22 pm
(18) xegunda says:

Self-restraint has won out here, so no comment.

January 19, 2011 at 12:45 pm
(19) Quiet_Mike says:

I’m in favor of the posse response. It’s a sure bet that you are not the only one that has been rudely awoken. Find five neighbors and a six pack. Everyone shows up at the rude neighbor’s door and offers the brew as a peace offering. “Say bro’, awesome bike, but you need to put a cork in the noise bottle until the rest of us are up too.” At that point, he’ll either cooperate, or throw the beer in your face. If the latter, next stop would be the cops. But really, I think a group of guys in solidarity, and the relaxed attitude that is offered in the brown bottle will do the trick.

January 19, 2011 at 12:48 pm
(20) bob says:

I have one of those “air cooled V-Twins” with aftermarket pipes your neighbor wakes you with, and I do try to be as considerate as possible when starting early in the A.M. As I don’t ride to work, this is seldom a problem, but I will get the bike to the end of the driveway to let it warm up. I guess the thing to do is try to talk to the other guy and see if he is reasonable enough to find an equitable solution for you both. I know I wouldn’t like to be rousted out of bed by anything too early in the A.M.

January 19, 2011 at 5:23 pm
(21) Pete says:

I think Quiet Mike has nailed it. Great idea!!

January 19, 2011 at 7:03 pm
(22) Carl says:

I once had a sport bike with the aftermarket exhaust… sounded great but I always cringed at the task of starting it up early to go to work. I don’t understand the need to crack open the throttle upon leaving the house at 4:30. I would have to have a civilized word with him. Two hours earlier then I need to be awake would just wipe me out by the end of the work week. I like the couple of beers and calm conversation approach.

January 19, 2011 at 8:10 pm
(23) Papa Juliet says:

Gosh Pete, you really think that I “had a bad experience with a noisy HD when he was young”? Wow you sound like Dr. Phil. It couldn’t be that I, and many others, are sick of the noise pollution created by this recent fad of grown men dressing up like the Village People (no offense to the Village People) and bombarding otherwise quiet communities with their silly “lifestyle”. It couldn’t be the fact that the 100-120 decibels that are produced by the typical (80% according to the AMA) might be destroying the quality of life for everyone within a 1/2 mile radius of you badmotorscooter? No one is against riding motorcycles. I ride a motorcycle. What most reasonable people are against is noise pollution. And that “sound of freedom”, or whatever you want to call it, is just that: POLLUTION. Get a clue, get a muffler.

January 19, 2011 at 8:25 pm
(24) Pete says:

Actually PJ, I don’t call it the sound of freedom, or loud pipes save lives, or lifestyle, or mid life crises, or a fad, or ‘dressing up’, or any of the rest of your self righteous shxx house philosophy.
I like the sound…very simple.
More importantly, there’s away to enjoy it and not piss the neighbours off and then there’s a way to enjoy and be complete jerk.

January 19, 2011 at 8:58 pm
(25) Debow says:

I don’t understand the concept of letting a bike warm up before riding off. If the guy is sitting there for several minutes, or more, he’s an idiot to begin with! I doubt he would listen to reason.
Honestly, none of my bikes ever idle any longer than it takes for me to close the garage door, as I am suited up before I start them. I then start off very easy through my developement, which is about 2 blocks to the main road. Then I proceed onto a 50mph main road, but I short shift to top gear at speed. The choke comes off after I hit second gear and is not needed again. Sitting and idling, and blipping the throttle is a waste of time and gasoline to me. The bike will warm up faster riding.

January 19, 2011 at 10:02 pm
(26) Steve in GA says:

I’m with Papa Juliet on this one. I also ride, but I don’t ever want to be seen as or with the kind of rider who would have so little consideration for others that he would deliberately make his bike into a public nuisance.

The sound of a V-Twin with purposely loud pipes reminds me of the time I spent behind a 30 cal. M60 machine gun. Even with earplugs, it is an ear-shattering, unpleasant racket.

January 19, 2011 at 11:33 pm
(27) REVCARLR says:

just be grateful ya got a neighbor who rides a harley and that it’s not mine.lol

January 20, 2011 at 3:00 am
(28) hei w1 says:

i have a klr 650 , extremely noisy pipe , when i have to go out early i usually push the bike a few houses down before switching it on and slowly idling it out of the neigbourhood – i know it’s loud and it’s not lekker to have a guy wake you up so early on a weekend

January 20, 2011 at 7:43 pm
(29) Papa Juliet says:

Sad that those members of the Rally Nation that claim that they ” push the bike a few houses down” before firing it up seem to think that the people living “a few houses down” are not disturbed by their illegal exhaust systems. Or the people in the darkened houses that they roar by at 2:00AM aren’t disturbed by their silly lifestyle. It’s noise pollution folks. Whether you like it or not noise is noise, and noise doesn’t stop at the end of you handlebars. It disrupts people’s lives. And it’s illegal. Get it? As in against the law.

January 21, 2011 at 12:10 am
(30) Basem Wasef - Motorcycles Guide, About.com says:

Papa Juliet,

To be clear: I’m not talking about the crack of dawn here. I work late, and tend to get up late as a result.

Additionally, the bike in question is usually backed against the curb, with the exhaust tips aimed directly at my apartment building. By pulling it into the street before starting it, the exhaust would at least be aimed up the street, and not towards windows and doors.

Basem

January 21, 2011 at 12:17 pm
(31) Pete says:

PJ…yeah, we get it. Maybe were just tired of hearing from you.

January 21, 2011 at 12:46 pm
(32) Joe says:

AHHHH!! People arguing and it doesn’t involve me, makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. lol

January 21, 2011 at 1:35 pm
(33) Pete says:

Well C’mon Joe…get with the program man!! You can whine & bitch & snivel as well as the rest of us!!

January 21, 2011 at 2:35 pm
(34) Rider says:

Joe, Joe, Joe,–I need to get back to sleep, Your H.D. is toooo Loud. HA HA HA —had to do it Joe

January 21, 2011 at 2:56 pm
(35) Joe says:

Good ones Pete and Rider!!!! LMAO!!

January 21, 2011 at 5:16 pm
(36) Papa Juliet says:

Pete- Maybe people are just tired of hearing you. Much less from you. Ya’ll just continue to act as though you’re cool by disturbing the peace. Each time you piss someone off with your inconsiderate pursuit of you sill “lifestyle” another person turns against the motorcycling community. Keep it up. You good ambassadors. Here’s some quotes from people that are a tad less clueless than you and your Bros.

“We need to lead by example and convey the that it is totally unacceptable to ride an obnoxiously loud machine. Next, we have to stop installing unmuffled exhaust systems on our bikes.”
- AMA CEO Mr. Rob Dingman, as quoted in Road Racing World

“Obnoxiously loud bikes and OHVs are not acceptable.”
- AMA CEO Rob Dingman as quoted in Motorcycle Daily

“Loud pipes risk rights.”
- Rick Gray, former head of the AMA

“It’s no wonder the public has come down on us because of these idiots.”
- Mike Levison , president of the Southern California Harley Riders Association

January 21, 2011 at 8:39 pm
(37) Pete says:

OK…so PJ.. now you’re starting to pique my curiosity. What is it with you?! NOBODY get’s that bent and uptight over such a narrow focus – borderline innocuous – issue like pipes on bikes.
Are you in state or federal law enforcement, or politics, or trying to become a politician and this is your soap box?
Maybe you’re a frustrated tree hugger? And fer chrissakes don’t read anything in to that…I’m all for green trees.
You’re quoting people and web links like it’s scripture! You might want to find someone besides the AMA to use as a yard stick too…they’re credibility ain’t what it used to be.
Do you have a position or any opinions of your own?
And Levinson…people aren’t down on “that crowd” because the pipes are noisy. People are down on them because the 1% er’s have tried very hard for 50 years to f… it all up for everyone else who rides a bike. Those clowns with the cartoons on their leathers have done real motorcyclists a far greater disservice than any straight pipe or sport bike pipe ever will.
HD did not create the image, but they sure made a pile of money on it, and I’ll guarantee you can walk into any HD dlr (or any brand) in North America and buy a set of very noisy pipes.
Again…if you’d listen…there is way to enjoy your bike and not piss everyone off – and – a way to annoy everyone within half a mile, simply by not caring. The majority of us – including me – are in the former category. I try very hard not to exacerbate what I know to be a sore point with Joe public. I’ve ridden full time for 42 years and I’ve worked in the MC industry for the majority of that 42 years.
You’re preaching to the wrong guy. I was converted a long time ago.

January 21, 2011 at 9:29 pm
(38) Papa Juliet says:

Pete: OK you figured me out. You’re right I’m a frustrated tree-hugging, retired FBI agent who’s running for Governor for the fine state of Utah. And I’m not sure the noise from the growing fad of illegally equipped Harleys fits the definition of “innocuous”.

1. Having no adverse effect; harmless.
2. Not likely to offend or provoke to strong emotion; insipid.

I don’t think the people who are having their everyday lives bombarded and degraded by noise pollution would say illegal Harleys have “no adverse effect” on their quality of life. So maybe innocuous isn’t the word I would use. And the noise from illegally equipped Harleys certainly does “offend”. By using the word “innocuous”, you are ignoring the well documented negative effect of noise pollution on health. So one really can’t claim that that your hobby is “harmless” You need to keep up with the news. The days of the Chopper Culture running roughshod over everyone’s clearly codified right to free from illegal and invasive noise are coming to an end. Have you read Harleys (reformed) opinion on noise pollution and motorcycles? Somehow I doubt that you have.

And when Mr. Levison made that quote he was referring exactly to illegally equipped Harleys. When his “club” sponsors rides, he banishes “these idiots” to the rear of the pack because he doesn’t want to hear their excessively loud pipes. He wasn’t talking about Angels.

January 22, 2011 at 8:37 am
(39) Pete says:

PJ – I know what innocuous means…that’s why I used it.
For what it’s worth, I happen to agree completely insofar as straight pipe Harleys are concerned. I’m not an HD fan…I’m a sport bike nut. The 2 cultures are almost diametrically opposed.
Joe …it’s all good …I’m not going off another HD rant, but you might wanna keep tabs on PJ here. I don’t think he likes them too much!! (:
While HD seems to attract far more of the loud pipe mind set than any other type or brand, there’s lots of HDs out there with aftermarket exhaust that are not window rattling, ear bleeding loud.
Straight pipes? Another issue entirely…lock ‘em up! Impound the bike, slap some sense in to the owner.
I have aftermarket exhaust on my VTR…it was the first thing I bought after a tank of gas. Yes it is louder than stock…they sounded like a steam engine. Did I put them on for laughs? Yup!!
But..it’s electric motor quiet compared to a hog with 16″ straight pipes.
So – don’t lump us all in to your melting pot. And if Mr Levinson wasn’t talking about the Angels, he damn well should have been.

January 22, 2011 at 11:28 am
(40) Joe says:

Pete, I think you are right on, couldn’t have said it better. There is a big difference between straight pipes and aftermarket pipes with baffles. If the government starts getting involved in exhausts they are not just going to go after HD’s like PJ wants but ALL BIKES and that means no aftermarket exhausts for sportbikes with performance pipe too. New York is trying to get a bill that says if the bikes exhaust does not have DOT written on them then the bike will be fined and they can impound the bike. As far as PJ, he is an HD hater, seems to over look (as you have mentioned) all the sportbikes and cars (boom boxes and loud exhausts) on the road and in his comments singles out only HD’s. When you read his comments this is obvious (no mention of theses other vehicles just HD’s). Be careful what you wish for PJ!

January 22, 2011 at 7:50 pm
(41) Papa Juliet says:

It’s Levison (one “N”)

Mike Levison, the Harley rider, said he gets annoyed by loud hogs, but thinks peer pressure’s a better way to quiet loud bikes. In the past, he’s banished loud bikes to the back of the pack.

“Guys revving up their noisy pipes remind me of my 8-year-old grandson. Every time he jumps in the pool he yells ‘Hey Grandpa, look at me! Look at me!’” the retired businessman said. “They’re making noise to get attention. It’s no wonder the public has come down on us because of these idiots.”

And I know exactly what I’m wishing for. This was an article about motorcycles, right? Why would I be commenting on “cars (boom boxes and loud exhausts)”? And I’m not an H-D hater. I’m a hater of 80% of the Harley owners in America that hold reasonable peace and quiet in contempt.

January 22, 2011 at 9:31 pm
(42) Joe says:

Please! You so hate HD, I’m not the only one who sees that, Pete mentioned it also. You never mention Metric cruisers with loud exhaust, the percent of them with loud exhaust has to be in that 80% range, Why? Pete mentions his Sportbike has a loud exhaust, again you say nothing? Why? Always Harley are the bad guys no one else. Hater! As far as cars and trucks with loud exhaust and boom box’s, all laws should be the same, signaling out one group (motorcycles) over other vehicles is favoritism. You talk about noise pollution, don’t these vehicles put out noise pollution? What kind of bike do you ride there PJ?

January 23, 2011 at 10:19 am
(43) Joe says:

Hey PJ, check out the custom Stryer that YAMAHA made in the post a few up from this one. Looks like YAMAHA put a after market (loud) exhaust on their bike. Oh wait, that’s different, it’s not an HD product, silly me, I forgot you only hate HD. Sorry!

January 26, 2011 at 7:07 pm
(44) Bruce in Ontario-Canada says:

Aren’t you alls famous for settling your arguements with sticking bannanas or potatoes up their tail pipes.? Maybe I watch too many American style movies. Maybe Repo Man is required??

February 5, 2011 at 3:05 pm
(45) Joe says:

If it was me…I would buy some ear plugs and leave them in your mail box…

February 8, 2011 at 9:22 am
(46) Christian says:

Basem…

You’re hoping to catch him? ok wait… he rides, and you ride… you have never ridden together? or got together to talk bikes? You have never went over and just shot the s*** about bikes? It seems you might be a little passive aggressive in your approach man.. Just ask him to roll to the end of the driveway before he starts up… If hes between the houses the amplitude of the exhaust and the pressure levels will be much higher..

I think you might be spending to much time on the internet typing and forgot about how easy it is to just walk out the front door and say hello….

The same goes for the rest of you complainers… stop bitching about it on the internet and go talk to your neighbors… Good grief yall make me sick.

March 15, 2011 at 10:31 pm
(47) Susan says:

Our neighbor’s wife gave him a motorcycle a couple of months ago. We’re not close neighbors; but it’s a nice-looking bike and we told him so. He has to leave for work every morning at 5:30…I now wake up every morning at this time, too but can’t go back to sleep. He revs it for up to ten minutes. I would think you should just get on your bike and ride…I would never say anything to him.
A couple of times I’ve turned on our lights and he’s then driven away, like he got the hint…but I think he was just ready to go at that point, anyway. If that’s his form of transportation, I’m not going to deny him that, but we live in an apartment complex and the windows aren’t exactly soundproof. When you’re in a deep sleep at 5:30 in the morning and you don’t have to get up for another hour and a half, if you’re woken up suddenly it disturbs your whole sleep pattern. I don’t ring his doorbell repeatedly at 4:00 AM. That’s the thing.

March 17, 2011 at 9:42 pm
(48) Susan says:

I just wanted to add something else, as the bike was going at the same time this morning. I don’t have anything against people who ride motorcycles. My brother’s best friend lost his foot when he was riding one, but it was raining. But if you can’t really say something to them, because maybe the one in question is a 250 lb. ex-Marine who used to drive his SUV through the parking lot like it was a snow ski and I would rather approach the average bear…and calling the police is not an option….really, what do you do? I think of it now as if I had a neighbor who had a screaming toddler. Do I write a note? Do I approach her with neighbors and a six pack? Do I ask her to muffle the kid? Do I accept the answer that this is America, and the kid can scream if it wants to? I have no idea, and this debate could go on and on, but the reality and fact is that motorcycles, much like children, are a choice. And with that comes responsibility to your fellow neighbors. I know that motorcycles and children are not the same, but I agree with the person who said he wheels his bike away before he starts it. My neighbor can do the same, wheel his motorcycle one minute out of the lot, out of the area, much like parents take their screaming children out of earshot. I’m saying this because last night I couldn’t sleep, and when I finally got to sleep, it seemed like only a minute before, at 5:30: “Vrooom, vrooom! vrooom, vrooom! Chug, chug, chug…vrooom, vrooom!” and so on. After nine minutes of that, La La Land is far away. It sucks. I am now fully sleep deprived. If I wanted to hear a motorcycle for almost ten minutes before the crack of dawn, I’d rent “The Wild One” or “Easy Rider” and program the bike “music” into my alarm clock for 5:30.

April 2, 2011 at 6:02 pm
(49) Penny says:

Loud pipes, cell phone conversations in public places,people scootching up to the back of your bike at a stop light,target practice at midnight, loud parties in the summertime when you want your windows open, people catching up to you on the road and riding your ass while you’re on your motorcycle,just for fun!
People annoy people! It is a constant. It has to do with respect and thought for others.I ride a Softail with Screamin Eagle pipes and there is a way that you can excellerate w/o being loud. I like the loud pipes as people will at least “HEAR ME” and maybe not hit me.
Have a conversation with your neighbor as he is a fellow cycle rider. I am pretty sure that he will be cool and comply with your request.
If not ….. Get cannon!
Best of luck.

April 10, 2011 at 8:17 pm
(50) Susan says:

I’m not a fellow rider and don’t plan to be. It’s just not my thing. But I do respect those who do it responsibly.The other morning with or neighbor the game was changed. He started at 5:00 instead of 5:30, revving his bike as usual. This time, instead of driving away, he didn’t. He was just revving his bike and went back inside, because I didn’t hear him drive away. I stayed awake for 40 minutes waiting for the other shoe to drop. It did. He went back outside 35 minutes later, (yes, I was watching the clock) and started revving the bike again, this time to ride away. Another ten minutes. Before six in the morning.
I would really like someone to tell me that owning a motorcycle means you have to chug and rev the motor for 9-10 minutes in a warm climate when dozens of people are sleeping around you. I’m not talking a gentle “Chug-chug-chug.” That I could stand. I’m talking a hawking “VROOM! VROOM! VROOM!”What purpose does that serve? How long does the engine need to warm up? What does it take? If I went out there and screamed at the top of my lungs for ten minutes, I bet you the police would be called. I mean, this can’t be normal. It just can’t be.

April 10, 2011 at 8:59 pm
(51) Susan says:

Penny,

I just wanted to say that I know people annoy people. But at some point there have to be boundaries. At some point.

April 20, 2011 at 7:07 pm
(52) alpha omega says:

Make him/her aware of the problem. If it is not resolved sue him/her in small claims for disturbing the peace. Get a decible meter and also video for proof. Document everytime. Just your word against his will not work.

May 11, 2011 at 12:15 am
(53) Lily says:

I can’t believe people are even having a conversation about rolling out to the street or a few minutes away. Noisy pipes should be illegal, anywhere, anytime. What has this world come to? First fine should be $250, second $1000, third, bike is impounded, pipes are removed, owner has to pay an additional $1000 to get bike back. Period the end. There is no room for debate. Noise pollution that causes constant stress DAY or night to your neighbors should be illegal. Do people really think this ear-splitting noise is ok during the day? It’s not ok and anyone who thinks it is is certifiable or just a low-life, ignorant, inconsiderate waste of space. There should be designated areas for motorcyclists to ride. Put the bike on a truck, drive the truck out to the designated area (10 miles away from civilized people) and ride to your deaf ears content. This goes for loud cars as well

June 7, 2011 at 11:55 pm
(54) Tired of Motorheads says:

I have some total ahole neighbors that moved in with motorcycles. They have no consideration for anyone else. All the neighbors have children under 1 year of age and all we listen to are these clowns coming and going and revving their motorcycles. They even do burnouts in the street. The cops don’t do anything but ask them to keep it down which they of course don’t do. The landlord could care less and told us he isn’t going to do anything about it. I truly hate them. They’ve ruined our lives. Sitting down to dinner and interrupted by aholes on their motorcycle. Sitting out in the summer enjoying the quiet evening – nope! Aholes with motorcycles are on the scene to ruin our lives! Just put the baby to bed? Too bad! Aholes have to rev their motorcycles! Aren’t they just sooooooooo cool? They got a new flame sticker on their motorcycle……oooooh how cool! They are truly scum – absolute and total scum

June 22, 2011 at 11:03 am
(55) Don't Care says:

Here is the thing. Things to consider. What time of day?

Stop all noisy trucks
No engine braking on tractor trailers
No construction ever!
No fire works ever!
No one have a party in the sumer ever!
No kids playing outside ever!
No kids crying in a restaurant ever!
No kids crying on an airplane ever!

End it all!

July 5, 2011 at 11:40 am
(56) Larry says:

Go set the damn thing on fire. These people – you can’t talk to ‘em, they’er too frikkin stupid. They’re like babies.

July 5, 2011 at 12:30 pm
(57) fox says:

Slash its tires in the dead of night, set it on fire if you can, sulphuric acid in the tank, wire cutters to the electrics, super glue in the ignition, thermite and magnesium strips on the cylinder head.

Repeat until noise stops.

Noise like that drives people to the edge.

July 14, 2011 at 5:03 pm
(58) Debbie says:

There is no problem when someone rides a little even if a bike makes noise..1. It’s when they go up and down the road deliberatley..Loud all day long ….2. throwing the finger at you or satnding up on the bike!!…3. Doing circles making the road a mess so to cause a accident…. 4. Loud Two stroke muffler that is loud you can hear it a mile away…The winey kind..that sounds like the racing type of muffler….5. Harrassing certain people they like picking on, because they want them to move….Such as: doing donuts just in front of Your home or gunning the engine in front of certain homes to be disturbingly nasty!!!This is not just disturbing the peace, that is also being reckless and Offensive and dangerous! Cops would give a person a ticket if a car was doing that …So why do they let a biker do that or let some kids do that or anyone Period!

July 16, 2011 at 1:52 pm
(59) Debbie says:

Can I get a law siute started for the harrassment and intimidation tactics? We sent a very nice letter once and they just got louder, we have the copy!They were warned by the cops also…and now doing this again! With that informatiomn at hand could we then we take it to court?….Also we have others on this same road who this kid is doing this to…. because we are freinds with those people..can we all as witnesses start a law siute?
In Central Wisconsin!

July 28, 2011 at 3:57 pm
(60) Jim says:

I am amazed at the responses from the “considerate” motorcyclist with illegal, inconsiderate exhaust. They think they are being considerate by baffling the noise while they are warming up their bike at home. Hey brainless inconsiderate, selfish jerk, what about the rest of the world you drive by after you leave your house? I’ll tell you what; you drive by my house and destroy my peacefully quite day. What I find really comical is the people who contend that they have to have a loud exhaust to be safe, so they are heard. How self centered is that? I am just waiting for the day you blow through an intersection and get mowed down by a fire truck because you could not hear the siren. Unfortunately what will probably happen is the fire truck will miss you but plow through a mini van with a family because they could not hear the siren because of you – GROW UP and show some respect to your community!

August 6, 2011 at 3:02 pm
(61) Warren says:

I am going thru the same thing here with a neighbor… They start the bike up 6 or 8 feet from my bedroom. The driveway is between our houses and the noise is probably even boomier there, bouncing off the walls. To think that I have to go tell another grown adult that there is a problem, is unbelievable… I’m embarrassed for them. What the heck did they think was going to happen? The world is just going to put up with them??? “Uhhhh gee… I hope no one says anything… Hyuk!…”

The problem these days, is that too many people have developed a mindset of: “I’ll do the wrong thing until someone says something to me”. They’re like immature children who get a thrill out of being some kind of psuedo-chickens**t rebel. These are the same people who more than likely don’t use their turn signals, cut corners when they make turns, don’t stop for stop signs if no other traffic is around, etc. All in the name of cutting off a couple seconds of their drive time.

C’mon, America… grow the F up !!! Yes we’re living longer… But that should mean we are adults for a longer time… not trying to extend our years of immature behavior !

August 11, 2011 at 12:31 am
(62) Debbie says:

You “CAN NOT HEAR Any LOUD MOTORCYCLE”, 4-wheeler, mini or small older dirt bike “etc” when driving a car, when you are driving with a radio on or with the windows closed!
Tested this…..Can’t hear them! But it is a driving hazard when they all of a sudden pop out of no-where in front of you! I bet a truck driver in a semi would never hear the bike either! When coming over a hill you can’t see them on dirt roads or hear them either! Cars will muffle the sound where a home sort of echoes and brings the sound louder through the walls!
I tested that one day with the guy who has the loud muffler in my area! In my home with the TV on and a fan going you can!

August 16, 2011 at 12:19 am
(63) adam says:

I live next to two bars where bikers hang out. One is an unofficial club for the local Hell’s Angels. These guys spend so much time revving their engines as if to scream to the world they have big cocks, which I’m fairly sure is quite the opposite. I’m guessing girls laugh at them in the bedroom, and they do this on the road with the mistaken hope that it gets girls excited. It doesn’t.

I often want to hop in my WRX and drive round the block so I can pull up behind them, idle, and rev my engine like a complete loser. Just so I can feel like one them for a few minutes. Then I want to follow them home, and go up and down their street at 3 am in 1st gear with the throttle wide-open. Just to see if they notice.

It’s super annoying. I’ve ridden bikes and owned a few. First off, it has ZERO to do with safety. If they were worried about safety they’d have helmets and either sensible clothes like jeans and leather on, or body armor. Instead, they wear flip flops, shorts, and a tee-shirt. Second, it has nothing to do with warming the bike up properly. The proper way would be to let it idle, not rev it like a lumberjack on a bender with a chainsaw. Third, if it’s early, they could easily put the bike in 3rd gear BEFORE they start it, and roll start the bike so as to not piss of everyone who might be asleep. The same goes for coming home at night: use a higher gear and only enough throttle to get where you’re going.

The bottom line is these guys do it to be rude, but the amazing thing to me is that they do it on the road where people have cars and trucks that outweigh them by THOUSANDS of pounds. It’s sort of like a Zebra purposely annoying a Hippo. That wouldn’t end well, and cars do occasionally hit bikes. Not only that, they eventually get off the bikes, and why not avoid confrontation if you can instead of creating a situation where neighbors have to ask you not to be rude?

September 13, 2011 at 5:08 pm
(64) AJ says:

I have been riding large “Harley type” motorcycles for over 10 years and I have always had quiet pipes. Never once, have I felt that I would be any safer with loud pipes. The number once cause of motorcycle accidents is someone turning in front of you, traveling the opposite direction, in an intersection. How are loud pipes going to prevent that? It seems the riders that state “Loud pipe save lives” are the same riders that split lanes, weave in an out of traffic and drive recklessly. Hey, I think loud pipes sound cool too, what guy doesn’t. I just don’t think that my hobby should interfere with other peoples’ peace and quiet…their hobbies. Any one with any decency and respect for others usually feels the same way…

October 8, 2011 at 7:48 pm
(65) LK says:

Registered mail, with a copy of the local law, sent three times to the bike owner.

If it doesn’t stop… then you go further.

Video and decibel meter from 100 feet away, with a witness in the passenger seat. Do this, say, five times on random days. There is a decibel meter app for the iPhone. Since you know exactly when this will take place, it shouldn’t be more than two hour’s work in total. Well worth it.

Bundle it all together, and deliver it to the police station. If no action is taken on your report, file a civil suit. And get a restraining order. Since he ignored the registered mail, you should have no problem getting him to pay your legal fees. And in small claims court, you might not need a lawyer anyway.

Set up a cheap webcam DVR monitoring your front yard in case someone decides to take revenge.

In sum, you have to take the emotion out of the equation. It’s not a right/wrong issue; the law has decided that for you. You are concerned with one specific law about motorcycle exhausts. Nothing more. Nothing less. It’s not personal, it’s business.

There are lots of laws to protect you against his noise and any retaliation. There are zero laws protecting him. So do the right thing and stop being scared. Don’t listen to those people who say lawsuits are too numerous; this is the exact situation the civil small claims courts are set up for. If people ignore the law, and ignore requests to stop breaking it, you can’t physically do anything anymore. Courts are the last remaining place to get justice.

October 17, 2011 at 10:32 am
(66) DJ says:

The “Talk to the Noisy Neighbor” never works… Did this once (in a tactful way) and paid dearly for it. After talking, many times when I was away from my home it was vandalized – things broken or stolen. The cop thing doesn’t work either…even when the neighbor is actively making noise when they show up. After talking with a lawyer, I found that my county has a noise ordinance rule. If it is broken then file a complaint… If your case it strong, you can sue for damages. A stronger case means having all police complaints you filed, and it doesn’t hurt to petition the neighborhood for signatures. When you threaten to hit the noisy neighbor in the wallet, attitudes change.

November 26, 2011 at 7:57 am
(67) IA says:

Chopper loud is a trademark. Sound is a wave and wave making a frequency. Brain also has frequency. What cause bad frequency to brain? I’m sure its bad.

I don’t mind a big bike such as Harley making noise warm up every morning. But sometime i hate it. But the noise suit for the machine. If moped, i will shout at them. This what happen to my country. Moped with loud exhaust piping (not stock) swarming 1 1/2 width village road everyday. Most irritating is Saturday and Sunday. It suppose to be happy/relaxing Saturday / Sunday day. Plus it a village where old timer spend their the rest of their life. It should be a peace area for them. But sadly, because this new idiot generation no tolerance and stubborn act. Disturbing oldies relaxing, pray and sleep. Some of them speeding high speed, imagine how much noise it is.

THe best word for em “MOPED” (moron on moped). cheer.

January 19, 2012 at 9:43 pm
(68) bill says:

Soundproof your room with spray foam or pillows and wear earplugs and run a fan at nite . It is not worth ruining your health over. He doesn ‘t care

March 21, 2012 at 3:20 pm
(69) Lars says:

You liberal piece of dung. Whaaaaaaa, Guess what, the U.S. Constitution says you have the right to pursue happiness, its not a right to have happiness.

I have to listen to my neighbor cut his grass every Saturday morning while I sleep. Deal with it. I do. Nothing wrong with him doing yard work, and his lawnmower is louder then my bike.

I can’t stand kids, but I have to listen to them scream and yell all day long. I’m not calling for them to be quiet, but poor you, you don’t want to hear his bike before you have to get out of bed so lets have Arnold pass another law to quiet something I know nothing about.

And yes, Loud Pipes do save lifes. Its Jacks like you that talk on the cell phone and change lanes without looking. Next time instead of the guy on the bike cranking the throttle so you realize there is a bike there, how about we start kicking your butt every time our bikes get cut off by cars.

Just like you, I have a family too who I’d like to see every night, and I’m sick of being cut off. Just today a lady turned right in front of me. Don’t tell me you can see me either. There were TWO of us with headlights on. If not for the fact that I’ve been riding since I was 12, I would have been dead a long time ago.

So you want to help fix a issue, FIX THAT, or go crawl back into your liberal little world and stay away from the rest of us.

You really want to know how bikers feel, maybe ask the next one you CUT OFF and then give him a little wave like that is suppose to make us feel better.

April 6, 2012 at 5:30 pm
(70) Joe Blow says:

Men fought and died overseas for my right to think that inconsiderate bikers are nothing more than neglected children acting out their daddy issues for the world to see.

April 11, 2012 at 8:17 am
(71) Julia says:

I feel your pain. I have a neighbor who is a nice guy otherwise, but while he acknowledges his bike is loud at 5:30am (parked 30 feet from my bedroom window), he has also nicely made it clear that he has no intention of giving up his beloved Lydia or Betty or whatever he has named her and intends to make her louder. Yay As a self proclaimed b***h ( a title my husband would concur with) I say, give him a dose of his own medicine…only earlier.

Being a reciprocal a-hole requires dedication, a little planning and a lot of coffee. It should take about a week for results* (*Individual results will vary by participants) Disclaimer aside. Here’s the gist of your sinister new approach:

- Do you ride? Well if 5am is good for him .. 3am is better for you.
- Do you like to park in your drive-way? Well, maybe you should move your bike close to his house, so he can get the the full benefit of hearing that sweet sound while he is sleeping.
- What days does he have off? If he likes the sound so much, he will enjoy it when he is trying to sleep in, so he can have an oh so real dream about his bike.

If you have been patient, assessed whether you have done something to piss him off, tried to communicate, tried to adjust your comfort expectations and schedule, documented your attempts, spoken with the police, researched noise ordinances,,, it is time to fight fire with fire.

P.S Lars is precisely the type of person this tactic works well on.He is the sort that will cry the loudest when he is audibly offended, I am hard core way right wing libertarian and I assure you this is not a political issue, it is a common courtesy issue.
Good luck.

April 20, 2012 at 9:55 pm
(72) Bobbers says:

I’ve talked with bikers who ride intentionally loud motorcycles, and not one of them ever backed down from his or her steadfast, aggressively libertarian position about all that noise being their right to make as free people. Asking these folks to keep it down just doesn’t work.

Further, it’s a risk talking to them about it because I wonder just how civilized they actually are. After all, they willfully and in great numbers, ignore the noise laws; laws established over many years for sound scientific reasons. So, if they so readily ignore laws against noise that are intended to protect the public health, then what other pillars of ethics and decency would they also ignore if it suited them? They may decide to burn a house down. Thumbing their noses at civilized ways of changing laws seems to be the loud biker’s mantra.

The more I hear their rumbling motorcycles, the more I hate them. It’s to the point now that when introduced to someone who rides a motorcycle, I ask them if they ride loudly, and if they say yes, I immediately end the newfound acquaintance, as I have no use for people who act so thoughtlessly selfish.

May 10, 2012 at 11:36 pm
(73) John Wray says:

Dear Sleepless,
I am the owner of one of those loud bikes and I must say Loud Pipes Save Lives. But on the other hand you need your sleep, So first thing does he belong to a club or is he just riding? if he belongs to a club be VERY VERY careful how you approach him and what you say bad things could happen. I would just ask him to roll his bike down the street to start it. And see what he says.

May 29, 2012 at 2:43 am
(74) Chris says:

Here’s the problem with talking to someone first: If they end up uncooperative and you must call the cops, then they know who did it and you open yourself to retribution. In a perfect world, being a man is always the right thing to do. In the world we live in, men must live to fight another day.

June 7, 2012 at 8:43 am
(75) Marlin says:

Sheeeehez….i agree with Papa Smurf back there in the dust. You write about motorsickles and dont know this guy well enough to ask him to knock it off a bit? I’ve rode for dam near 40 years…..owned my first HD at age 18…..have 3 now…..ask him….to hold that s*** down! enough with the public display of….wahhhhhh….whyyyyyyyyyy me????… ….what the hell happened to common sense? use some, it aint hard to do…wanna be a biker??? use biker sense

June 17, 2012 at 4:09 am
(76) Mike Instit says:

I’m on a personal crusade to try to stop these noisy bikes. My grandfather got a heart attack that was initiated by a super noisy Harley. There is absolutely no reason why a bike needs to be heard numerous street blocks away. I often watch the police allow the noisy bikes pass by without any action. It is probably because they own these types of bikes themselves. People are just so inconsiderate to others!

June 29, 2012 at 12:25 pm
(77) Jack - PA says:

My new neighbor likes to start and warm up his loud bike at 2AM!!! Thankfully he does not wear a helmet, so hopefully he will crash and kill himself soon.

July 13, 2012 at 1:26 am
(78) rb says:

i have been riding motorcycles for 50 yrs
I have had raced them, had loud and quiete etc etc. off and on road. people that ride in town and resedencial etc with no baffels is just about what there brains have, no baffels any intelegence is blown out.
police have about the same intelegence for not enforcing the law on noise. what good are they, they are scared to do anything. I was shot on my cycle, my first time in the area, stock exhaust but the guy was fed up with bikes waking his wife that had a stroke and heart attack and could not get rest.
IDIOTS do not realise taking baffels out leans the engine and lowers hp
Loud bikes are safe bikes? another moron speaking, I have seen grand children screeming and running to the perent after an a hole has cranked it on and the child has been scared ever sinced of bikes. good work dummies. so police take some time and actualy do what your niebour works to pay you for, do your f job and dont be scared you can do it. I would like to put these bikers ears next to there bikes exhaust and crank it on so they would feel what people feel behind the pipes as they sit ahead of the pipes. Any time you can get/tie them up behind there exhaust, possible dont shoot them. YOU should always remember these people on these annoying bikes are just like you and i, they eat, crap and sleep just like you and I, THEY try to make out like they are special not so. Carry on from an seasoned biker and you morons please help us change our image. General public start calling your local police chief every week remind him/her of the re election
BEST REGARDS

SEASONDED RIDER

July 14, 2012 at 8:02 am
(79) Sam says:

We’ve had identical problem, but x5. Live just outside city limits where speed increases, and unfortunately our house is located close to the road. Have 5 bikers living up the road, all with race/aftermarket pipes. The temptation to hit the city limits and jam on the throttle is too much for these 30-40 year old children, so 5-10 times a day we have to stop conversations or have our tv drowned out by them. Have built a nice relationship with city, county and state police, who have issued tons of tickets to these guys. To no avail, the parade of deafening bikes rolls on, but at least they get to explain to the wife why biking is so expensive for them. Maybe, maybe, sooner or later they will quiet down. Lets not forget the ‘charity’ rides that are held several times a summer, when we get hundreds of these loud bikes in packs of 10-30 roaring by–the assault on our body/senses is tremendous. Too bad the bikers enjoying their freedom takes our freedom to enjoy our summer away.

July 21, 2012 at 12:05 am
(80) Steven Lim says:

Forget about talking to him about it.

Most of these guys with noisy cars/motorocycles don’t give a shit about anyone else in the neighborhood.

Call the police.

July 29, 2012 at 12:07 am
(81) Bob says:

1) Loud pipes don’t save lives. I never hear the bike coming behind me because the pipes are pointing the wrong way and the wind is going the other way as well. I hear the hell out of it passing me when the only good thing it could do is startle me and make me pull the steering wheel.

2) There is no excuse, none at all, from riding with an exhaust louder than a gunshot on residential streets at night, and revving the engine every five seconds at lights. You are an a**hole if you do that, and you will be the cause of having a ridiculous overreaching law coming upon us (I also ride).

August 30, 2012 at 3:46 am
(82) ugg says:

Very good information. Lucky me I found your
site by chance (stumbleupon). I’ve book-marked it for later!

September 3, 2012 at 2:00 am
(83) Justin says:

What do you do if you don’t know where the sound is coming from and it sounds like after midnight there is a race going on EVERY NIGHT until 2 AM!!! Dear God!

September 3, 2012 at 2:22 am
(84) Pete says:

My neighbor has a bike, really loud, and he usually warm it up before he takes off, at 4am, LOUDLY too, I sent him a fake letter from the city, it worked for almost a year, now, here we go again.

If you think that “Talk” might work, WRONG!!, They will think that you are crossing the line (the line of his/her freedom) THE BIKERS KNOW EXACTLY HOW IT SOUNDs LIKE, NO NEED TO TELL THEM IT IS LOUD, THEY WANT IT LOUD. if they would consider for the neighbor, the wont even have such bikes.

SO DONT STOP THEM BY SAYING “Please stop, or I cant take it no more”

Try the other way around.

September 3, 2012 at 2:37 am
(85) rony tu says:

(55) Don’t Care says:

They Are Listening, GOOOD, but they just dont care, this Forum even pissing them off but I like it.

November 11, 2012 at 5:06 am
(86) Phil says:

In Los Angeles, you can call the LAPD non-emergency number to report a noise complaint. There is no set time of day, for example after 10 PM. You don’t have to leave a name. And you don’t have to put up with this inconsiderate, so-called neighbor.

November 11, 2012 at 5:08 am
(87) Bob says:

In Los Angeles, you can simply call the LAPD (non-emergency line) with a noise complaint about your neighbors at any hour of the day or night. You don’t need to put up with this. Legally, it’s no different than a crazy party in the middle of the night. You can even report it anonymously, if he’s a Hell’s Angel.

January 23, 2013 at 5:48 am
(88) Angela says:

I get this all the time my neighbor does it for a complete 2 hours or for an 1 & I don’t know what to do it so annoying, I thought it would take 3 or 5 mins to get the motorcycle ready and just leave but he keep making the noise louder and louder four hours and hours then leave. other motorcycle on my neighborhood doesn’t do what he does and nobody say anything about it. I’m fed up with it. I really want to call the cops for it to stop because talking to the guy won’t do anything about it.

February 3, 2013 at 10:26 pm
(89) Annoyed says:

I’m beyond stressed over my neighbor. This guy is on “disability”, so he’s always home (I have no idea what his ‘disability’ is….none that I can see. Everyday I hear this thing. It shakes my house. He revs it to obnoxious levels, then drives off (finally). Only to return two minutes later. Over and over again. About 2 or 3 year ago I said something to him (not politely I admit). As soon as I went inside he fired it up and opened it wide. So, I called the cops. It got better for a short while, but has gone back to normal ever since. It’s at the point that I dread “nice’ weather, because I know what I’m in store to hear. Might I add we live in a nice, family oriented neighborhood, but the houses are VERY closely situated to each other. He’s just another one of those “I don’t give a sh1t what anyone thinks” kind of person. I’ve been incredibly stressed, everyday because of this. No peace in my own home. The only positive I’ll give this piece of garbage is that he doesnt do it early in the morning or at night. Never the less, a person should at least have a reasonable expectation of peace within their own home. I work everyday, this turd doesnt. We are at the point of buying a new home and walking away from this one, simply because of this.

February 3, 2013 at 11:32 pm
(90) honda rider says:

welll there loud because idk about harley riders but me a mx rider we run any pipe that gives up more power we dont give a s*** i run a 114 decible pipe on my bike you have to have earplugs to ride it and trust me to me the noise is worth it

March 19, 2013 at 4:30 pm
(91) NoSleepforMe says:

I have the same problem. We live in a townhome community where we all live right on top of each other. Nice place. Kids. Parks. Then there’s this guy. He rides a big hog with extremely loud pipes. Unlike the other posters, though, he revs it up at 7AM and comes back late. I’ve tried to use earplugs and sound machines… anything to drown out the noise. I certainly don’t leave the windows open. Now… I think bikes are cool. I just think it’s incredibly rude to have something that loud (my bed will shake when he revs the engines) in a densely-packed neighborhood. Either he’ll stop, we’ll move, or one of us will go postal and it won’t be pretty.

April 15, 2013 at 2:56 pm
(92) Robert from upstate says:

Apparently with vehicle generated noise, as with so much else, it seems to be ‘do as I say not as I do’. True story: a regional airport that operates a Noise Complaint office was receiving an exceedingly large number of complaints-hundreds per month- from two residences on one street in a nearby town. As was the practice, the Noise office contacted each complainant in order to discuss their experience and also made house calls. (The names of all complainants were kept confidential.) After visiting the first of the two high volume residences, where a Harley Davidson was observed parked in the driveway, and speaking with the complainant, let’s call him ‘Mike’, the noise officer moved on to the second house and rang the bell. Just as the resident was opening the door at the second house, the aforementioned Harley roared down the street past the house with Mike on board. The resident turned to the airport Noise office person and said with some heat: ‘That son-of-a-bitch Mike operates that Hog with illegal pipes and drives everyone in the neighborhood crazy!’

I have no respect for motor cycle owners who violate the law against excessively noisy exhaust system: the noisy equipment serves no purpose other than to gratify their childish need for attention. I have less respect for hypocrites.

May 5, 2013 at 11:13 am
(93) Rider4life says:

Ok. To all of you who say “Loud pipes saving lives is something a moron would say”, I would be careful who you say that to. I don’t have pipes that are obnoxiously loud; however, you do know I’m there. I don’t rev my bike, or try to tick people off. I do know that when people behind the wheel are, as always, not paying attention to what’s going on around them, with a twist of the throttle I get their attention. Not startling them, just maybe taking their focus OFF OF THEIR PHONE and on the road where it should be. I’ll bet it’s safe to say those of you bitching and calling bikers names and calling the lifestyle silly are the very drivers too stupid and inconsiderate to use a turn signal, or put your damn cell phones down for two seconds. Yes, obnoxiously loud pipes are annoying; however, why aren’t these thugs with the booming stereos, loud trucks and cars held equally accountable? Maybe there are those of us who have been considerate of other people our whole lives just to be *&#$ on by the general population who are tired of being singled out. I make sure I’m heard (within reason) so that most of you who are too busy tending your phones to drive respectfully will actually pay attention and not mow me over, I have a family too. As for those of you such as PJ calling the lifestyle silly, and others wishing riders would meet with a tragic end, you are the scum, the morons, the idiots. You are the ones the world would be better off without. Look in the mirror before spreading such self righteous bull****.

May 5, 2013 at 3:06 pm
(94) Rob says:

Talk to him first, then complain to by-law enforcement (noise) and if all else fails, pour gas over it and light it on fire.

May 9, 2013 at 12:07 pm
(95) Zavier says:

Call the cops. If they are above a certain decibel, and your law requires them to be under that, they are breaking the law. They don’t care about you, so don’t get all “neighborly” on them, just call non emergency, and keep making complaints.

May 16, 2013 at 11:35 pm
(96) anonymous333 says:

If you think hearing your neighbors motorcycle from across the street is bad try living in an above garage apartment!!! And since they are my landlords I cant do anything but move asap.
i told the wife and she was a f-ing b-tch and said i should feel lucky i dont have to wake up that early to work. ha!!!!! now i do bc of him except i dont get to go to bed super early bc of my work.
the neighbors have expressed their hatred for this so i have heard.
and they think they can charge more for the next tenant haaa. they will move after a week for sure.

honestly they are the most self centered people in the world. i feel very sorry for their daughter to be raised with that type of parent.

Any advice?? I have lived here seven and a half years. I am in Orange County CA.

May 17, 2013 at 9:35 pm
(97) jl says:

I love bikes and everything about them. However, when you come back from your buddies or the bar at 3 and 4 am with your crappy loud unnecessary muffler and you wake up my baby and little kid, I’m coming after you. My dad had a bike, my brother, myself, but to be a selfish piece of crap and wake up kids and families in the middle of the night and in family and residential neighborhoods, I’m coming after you. I’ll follow you home, sit in your driveway and have every single friend I can find with a bike and rev it outside your door so your whole family wakes up and you know what it’s like. Some of us work 6 days a week at 5 am. GET A LIFE.

May 29, 2013 at 3:05 pm
(98) Michelle says:

I live in Los Angeles and I have a neighbor who starts his motorcycle religiously at 8 am every morning. He just recently put louder pipes on the bike so now car alarms go off. My husband and I work afternoons and have the luxury of sleeping until 11 am. We have put up with being shaken awake for six months. I have the fan in the window and wear ear plugs but nothing helps. I thought because people on this thread were saying “Go talk to him, I’m sure he’ll understand” that I would give it a shot. I told him that my husband works afternoons and he is in a safety sensitive job and his motorcycle was waking us up, could he please keep it down, or park on the street away from the bedrooms. He basically said “F off, lady!!” “Now I’ll just get louder!” And that, he did. This is a 30- something year old man who must have serious issues to behave this way. I have the utmost respect for my neighbors so when my son wanted a Borla exhaust on his sports car, I said “Not until we move into another house.” Sigh….society is getting more and more selfish.

June 7, 2013 at 9:17 pm
(99) Chuckie says:

What about the alternative which is the variable noise mufflers for bikes and cars? They can be made quiet or loud by adjusting a butterfly inside the muffler. In fact there’s a new design coming out soon, which is much better flowing then the 100 plus year old butterfly design and doesn’t restrict the exhaust flow, but gives you 100% open pipe or 80 decibel legal sound or anywhere in between. I would think this would be the best possible answer for all parties concerned.

June 18, 2013 at 5:39 pm
(100) Pap Carlo says:

Most people suggest going to talk to the guy hoping that he is reasonable. Come on. Do you think that he does not know he is making discomfort to others already ? Talking to him you would sound like a beggar on the street.
What does work with such guys is one – two punches in the jaw.But probably it is a good idea to give the guy a tip first what he is looking into.

June 22, 2013 at 6:02 pm
(101) Ken says:

Get the license plate # and call the police and file a noise complaint.. The police are following up on complaints and giving tickets to the owners.

June 24, 2013 at 6:11 am
(102) gerry alden says:

What I would do and have done, is remove the source of nuisance noise, by several steps. Standard highway motorcycles are low-noise-exhaust-emission regulated products. A person within normal earshot of these prudently running products have the “right” not to be a recipient of raised standard volumes. First off, you never approach the rider. Secondly, you record the times and dates and reference the relative level of noise. If your local law enforcement official is unable to effect a change in behavior after ordering the defendant to court for a traffic code violation, then you call the State Police, Public Safety and then the DEP. A loud after-market pipe attached to a standard highway motorcycle is direct evidence that an environmental crime of tampering with the EPA regulated emissions system is likely to of occurred. Standard exhaust systems on small combustion engines are vital components to the overall vehicle emission system. The EPA is very interested in responding to reports of air quality emission violations. The fine for tampering with a federally regulated highway vehicle may exceed $3,500/day for each day the vehicle is ridden on a public way. Your testimony of the number of days could be important to the EPA. Your act to locate the source of the air pollution will be rewarded. Finally, the Noise Control Act of 1972 by US Congress has a citizen suit provision that gives any person the right to sue this rider, the dealership, the after-market pipe company, the local police, the City, or anyone as a result of a low-noise-exhaust-emission product in violation of “in use” provisions of the federal code. You may end up owning the very bike making the loud noise, and the home too.

June 27, 2013 at 1:57 am
(103) Ezeikiel Rich says:

All these comments blaming loud pipes really piss me off. I bet half of you winners probably sleep with your window open just so you can complain about every vehicle that drives by. Noises bothered me too! I spent a day and got some R-14 insulation and tore off my drywall, insulated my walls, put up some sound board and installed some double glass windows that keep the sound out. Guess what, you can do burnouts for all i care, i dont hear nothing! Blame yourselves for having poorly constructed walls! My bedroom is sound proof just like the nice hotels! Ya dont hear nothing!

June 28, 2013 at 10:23 pm
(104) Camilo Smith says:

Ezekiel is the typical narcissist. Why should I need to shield myself from bike noise? You have no right to make it. None whatsoever. read you John Stuart Mills.

July 6, 2013 at 1:03 pm
(105) Chuckie says:

Wow Jerry Alden, You should/must live in Europe… Lets get every government agency onto someone. I agree the bike owner needs to be respectful of others, but we need less oppressive gov. here not more. Try Russia or China, maybe fit your life style better…

July 22, 2013 at 8:20 pm
(106) Don says:

People like this only care about themselves and have no consideration for others. They wouldn’t modify their bikes or automobiles in the first place.

When you contact a local police department they simply say they don’t have the manpower and enforcement isn’t a priority. Motorcyclists know that the police won’t pursue them for safety reasons.

The only solution I have seen that works is vehicle state safety inspections like are done in PA. Vehicles are required to be inspected at certified state inspection stations. Vehicles like this do not pass inspection until the exhaust systems meet noise and safety requirements.

July 26, 2013 at 5:56 pm
(107) Michelle says:

Ezeikiel, wouldn’t that be lovely! I live near the beach where open windows are our air conditioning.

August 17, 2013 at 9:23 pm
(108) slityourthroat says:

my Harley riding neighbor starts up his bike at 5:30 am he has the standard gutted exhaust. I just noticed that he rides with ear plugs so only his neighbors get the full sound of his hardly ableson. are all Harley guys this freaking stupid? yes. go ahead dress up like a pirate and get on your overpriced piece of crap.

August 21, 2013 at 9:31 pm
(109) Tina says:

I have a neighbor with a bike sound that can be heard for blocks and he revvs it continuously with out even getting on the bike. It has been measured to be over 150 dbs and our noise ordinance is 65 dbs day/55dbs at night. The whole community is tired of him. You can not ask him to turn it down because he is physically violent towards people at the drop of a dime. We feel that he is mentally unstable. He is also a drug dealer and hard core drug user. So we are unable to talk to him about it. The police refuse to do anything about the drugs or the bike and threaten us when we complain. They are pathetic. We have the neighbor from hell! He gives bikers a bad name.

August 22, 2013 at 7:56 pm
(110) eddword says:

I actually sat here and read most of these posts and was disapointed with several replies and in tune with a few others. BUT, the fact is…YES! either it be your loud piece of crap motor cycle or you yappin dog or your tendencies to openly burn your trash! People are most interseted in their own needs and desires than considering what they do to piss off their neighbors. And they usually think that they are right and that you are a nut bag.. YES! this is how the world works…self absorbed greed… all for me and none for you! But my point is,I too have a neighbor who is a drunK ,inconsiderate,dumb f*** hillbilly, who drives to fast . burns his trash and has a way to loud piece of crap motor cycle that can be heard from a mile away. And when he gets home you can still here his loud mouth spewing ignorance from a block away!! The bottom line is there are other people living on this planet jag off.. So STFU!

September 7, 2013 at 5:14 am
(111) T says:

I sometimes have to leave for work early in the morning too. With my loud aftermarket pipes on my Sportster I get worried that the neighbors might get upset (Obviously Im a little more considerate than your neighbor is). What I usually do is roll the bike out of my garage and down the block, to get at least some distance away from the houses on my street before starting it up. Maybe ask him to do that instead of starting it so close to your bedroom window.

September 26, 2013 at 9:06 pm
(112) Jerry says:

I live in an apartment complex right next to the exit gate and my street has a straight-away will a slight downward hill so we have motorcyclists all the time fly down the street at high speed and they just so happen to pass the park where there is a 25mph posted speed limit but it’s not posted well so i don’t think they know about it.. anyways, i have been hearing them every night flying down the street.. and i decided what i’m going to do to at least deter the people in my complex, or at least give them a dose of their own medication.. i’m going to print out a sign and post it on the gate that says ,”motorcyclists are wimps who like to sit on hard things that go fast and make a lot of noise!”

October 9, 2013 at 12:09 pm
(113) Harley dyna rider says:

Ok, here’s the deal on loud pipes. In a world filled with distracted driving ( cell phones, car gadgets, and old folks ) loud pipes really do save lives. No, I am not condoning the revving or (blipping) of your motorcycle but while driving, having a louder pipe does make you more visible. I agree, the tool bag harley wanna be twisting his twin cam at every stop light is annoying and down right laughable. On occasion I have had to wind mine to assure my safety. For instance, a distracted driver pulled right out beside me! No, not in front of me, but beside me. I was forced to exit the road onto the shoulder. We drove like this for what felt like a life time. I finally got her attention by letting my Vance and Hines short shot pipes sober her from her prozac-driven text binged state. This is just one example of how “loud pipes save lives.” Please folks, don’t assume that every guy on a harley is as immature as the ones you have encountered. Ride Safe!

October 13, 2013 at 10:04 am
(114) Skip says:

Been riding many years and yes, I ride a Harley with Vance & Hines pipes. I live in the country, but in the last ten years, my country living has become quite crowded with houses on both sides. I have always been considerate of my neighbors and have apologized ahead of time to them whenever I ride. My bike is fuel injected so it doesn’t require to sit for hours idling or being revved up. Only wished my neighbors were considerate of me in as much as blowing their grass on my driveway after I’ve blown it off and with them starting fires to burn shrub and then driving away for the day leaving me to make sure the fire doesn’t get out of hand in their absence. I love bikes of all makes and SOUNDS and when the neighbors shoot their guns in the backyard target practicing, I usually grab one of mine and join them. Never had one complaint about the Harley firing up and usually get waves going down the mountain.

October 31, 2013 at 11:36 pm
(115) rick says:

I would like to see motorcycles banned from the road. Or silencer mufflers installed as an alternative. They use the excuse mufflers must be loud to be heard then seen. Tell you what why not wear a head to toe reflective safety suit they would be seen very well. Eliminate these people from the food chain.

November 3, 2013 at 2:58 pm
(116) Jim says:

I have some people that moved in across the street from and the whole family has harlies.and eery sunday right after noon they dragrace up and down the street take their 5an 6 y kid for ride on them.I hav ask them to not rump on them and have called the law but it does no good the even want to fist fight.cause I asked them to stop rumpping on them

November 13, 2013 at 10:03 am
(117) bill says:

I bought a Harley with aftermarket pipes. It sounded pretty loud to me. So much so, that once, when I road past my neighbor who was working in his front yard by the street, who is not afraid to speak his mind, I asked if my bike was annoyingly loud. He said he didn’t even notice me going by. I somewhat challenged his response because I was convinced it was loud, but he said it was not loud. Now this is a guy who has commented about my lawn service, calling them the “noise makers” because of all their gas powered lawn equipment. So, now I’m still trying to quiet my bike a little because I am concerned about the noise. I am experimenting with rolled up chicken wire as baffles, which does seem to quiet it down substantially. I still ride “quietly” out of residential neighborhoods to open road before I get aggressive. I find it hard to believe that most bikers would be rude if approached by their neighbor concerning a noisy bike. Oh well.

November 14, 2013 at 9:52 am
(118) Lilli says:

Live in CA and also have a 4am bike rider neighbors who is driving me crazy. Was looking up online, what I could do about it, since I intend to live here for many more years. I was thinking about calling the police dept. and asking for advice but it just occurred me that his son, who lives with him, is a CHP. So there goes that idea. I also thought about a note, just to vent my frustration. Anyway, I have no ideas. I did notice that today he did not accelerate and the noise was bad but not as bad. So maybe, someone did complain already. Now, I am just praying for a very rainy winter!!! LOL

November 18, 2013 at 2:43 pm
(119) Tank says:

And they sound crappy … twingles !! Honestly, my neighbors Sportster sounds like my dad’s old Ford when he backed the boat into the water at the loading ramp…the tailpipe under water … blub blub blub…sorry…I don’t hear “potatoe”. And loud!! It’s rediculous..him trying to blip the throttle…fool…my the time he twists it at the street turn off the crankshaft has rotated once by the time he gets to his driveway … and …it don’t rev folks. So funny….

December 6, 2013 at 6:24 am
(120) recon corpsman says:

i have had this problem before, i focused on my life and minded my business, i have loud pipes on my motorcycle myself. until one day he came over and asked me to quit running my bike when i arrived home at 10pm at which i helped him quickly to the ground, he is a great buy after a good beat down, we get along great. i play some deepak Chopra or classical, or meditation music in background, speak softly i carry a big fist. be nice, be professional, be courteous and effective, until its time not to be nice and then be damn ugly!

amen
patrick 2014 harley sportster
12 yrs usmc
2 yrs police
13 yrs nurse paramedic
25 years muay thai instructor
get some and sound off like you got a pair!

ps. dont call me from jail sir!

January 4, 2014 at 7:03 am
(121) SSRI MC says:

I live in Oakland. If you came at me all crazy bout my pipes i’d ruff you up a bit.

January 21, 2014 at 9:28 am
(122) Lensman says:

Hah, rainy winter! Lol! When winter comes, the 4 wheel drive gas guzzling vehicles and big 4 wheel drive monster trucks sound even louder due to the lack of seasonal greenery, and are equally a problem.

I haven’t slept over 6 hours straight since ’08 and it’s been due to a mess of inconsiderate individuals on the road. Nobody enjoys your loud emissions. I have no problem(highly debatable) with loud emissions during the day, but not from 12:00am to 6:00am.., just unacceptable, regardless of who you think you are or what you’ve “done” for this country. I “do” for this country everyday.

So when that series of 4 separately contracted garbage men or road crew descend onto 4 different local businesses in your area, 4 different times in the A.M., beeping when they back up and slamming down barely full dumpsters like it’s trying to actually destroy said dumpster, what do you do? It’s bad enough adjusting to this alone and who knows.., maybe this Thursday I’ll spend the night tossing and turning as the series of loud vehicles makes its way to the late night hangout spot.

The sound the garbage truck makes cannot be good for hydraulically powered arms.., he’s literally slamming the dumpster into the back of his truck. I’ve moved 9 times in the last 13 years(school, work, aforementioned @ssholes,etc.) and all I get is to “keep moving,” but I’m actually in the negative due to circumstances like these, so even if I wanted to.., moving is not an option. Yes, I actually owe money due to this.

Point: night time workers still cause a degree of acceptable(?) noise and are the only ones forgiven for doing such in the A.M., prior to 6:00AM.

February 17, 2014 at 3:23 pm
(123) Sideways of Fresno says:

Roll over and go back to sleep! Unless he’s doing burnouts or high speed passes up and down your street, just let it go. So many people whine about loud pipes on bikes, but don’t say anything about an old pick-up truck with glass-pack pipes warming up every morning for 10 minutes and then roaring down the street setting off car alarms. Pick your battles, one noisy bike isn’t that big of a deal and enjoy the other 23 hours and 56 minutes of the day you don’t hear him.

March 5, 2014 at 5:40 pm
(124) Michaelsas2 says:

I do understand your neighbor having a 2004 HD Springer myself and trust me it IS LOUD, these idiots in the expensive trucks and SUV’s, Hummers and that Thump Thump music hear me coming even if they can’t see me. Just talk to him, trust me it will go a lot farther then phone call, letter, email. HE CAN BAFFLE IT ON START UP IF HE WANTS TO BUT THEN AGAIN i DON’T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT CHOKING MY BIKE BEFORE RIDING IT. Just be friendly and talk to him.

March 22, 2014 at 2:27 pm
(125) yayayayayayaya says:

I have a bike with a pleasingly loud slip on. I didnt add the slip on, and probably wouldnt have, but the bike came with it as I bought it used. I like the noise, and selfishly thats more important to me than what other people think about me or my bike or how it sounds or looks etc etc. It idles in the morning for about 3 mins (guess that makes me an idiot) while i put my gloves and helmet on. Never had any complaints.
Guy recently moved into neighborhood and apparently he has a problem with this, as I saw him this morning flipping me off in his front yard this very morning.
Let me just say this: had said guy come over and talked to me before making obscene gestures, it would have gone a lot smoother than its going to go now. I’m not a throttle blipper, especially on my own street. I’m conscious of my neighbors and respect them. BUT I may have to wind that bike up right in front of his house.
And seriously, involving the authorities over a noise complaint? What do you expect them to do? Noise pollution? H O L Y S @ # T. Grow a back bone and ride a bike, maybe it’ll make it so you can live with the world as it is. Or not. With 7 billion of us on this rock, you can bet it may be a bit noisy from time to time, no? like sidwaystofresno nailed it. Further more, I’ll be keeping my place in the food chain thank you very much.

April 6, 2014 at 4:39 pm
(126) Changi Shi says:

Follow one of em home and run him off the road.

Keep doing it until the entire group of rednecks are gone.

Might take a while, but it will be worth it.

April 14, 2014 at 7:19 pm
(127) Max says:

Interesting thing about noise. When making noise is fun, listening to the same noise is not fun If I use a chain saw the noise does not irate me but if my neighbor uses his saw I am glad when he finishes I have never covered my ears when I pound a nail with a hammer but people close by will walk away because of the loud noise. I wonder if bikers enjoy a bike going by their home screaming 100 plus decibels with straight pipes?

Comment 113 — Would your horn be just as effective?

My house sits 150 feet from 2 lane state road which is a favorite bikers run. Lots of turns, hills and scenic views. This past Sunday was a 82 degree day, the first warm day of spring. Hundreds of bikes rode past, some going east, some going west, some quiet, some loud. The bikes started at dawn and slowed down at sunset. Add the hot rods, diesel pick ups with twin exhaust stacks and the quads and dirt bikes in the nearby hills, the noise was deafening. Not to forget the jake brake on the 18 wheelers (some use the brake to see how much noise they can make) Never was a moment that day that I did not hear noise made by a internal combustion engine.
All this noise makes it impossible to carry on any outdoor conversation, listen to a radio or watch tv in the house.
A few years ago I talked to the police, even offered to buy them a sound meter but the chief told me it is impossible make an arrest based on noise they way the state law is written.
I talked to three magistrates in my area they all told me that there was never an arrest made in their districts for motorcycle noise in their memory.
I am too old to consider moving and even if I did is there any place I can move that I can escape the noise created by our present society? 50 years ago in this neighborhood no one would use a power mower on Sunday because the noise would be inconsiderate to the neighbors.
I deal with the noise but I wish I did not have to.

April 16, 2014 at 10:50 pm
(128) Dsnutz says:

I have 3 bikes, I don’t complain about people banging their systems, or riding their Harley’s /sportbikes, or big old bubba trucks with semi stacks. Its life and I love it! Should’ve got ur kid used to loud environments! I’m gonna take my exhuast off for next week hoping u live by me. I have newborn son and he loves that sound. I got him used to it and he’s only 6 weeks today. Buy a bike u wussy!

April 17, 2014 at 6:13 pm
(129) Safety First says:

You may want to learn how loud noise affects hearing loss. If you like sound of your son laughing enjoy it now, hearing loss due to loud noise is permanent.

May 9, 2014 at 11:30 pm
(130) Kev says:

If he’s got the stuff you mate attitude. I have just the fix. I had this problem when renting an appartment. I worked nights and told real estate agents not to bring anyone round (as the appartment was sold up on us without a mention) The realters that didn’t have the decency to bring their clients around later I simply went to work 11pm until 7am I used to give them a call aroung 3am they soon got the message. So my friend if you know anyone on night shift get them to give Mr Noisy a call. Simple really he will get the message and start up and go straight the way.