1. Autos

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Basem Wasef

Could Victory Police Motorcycles Catch On?

By February 28, 2011

Victory Police Motorcycles

The photograph above is completely tongue-in-cheek*, but its implicit suggestion is simple: Victory motorcycles could out-perform Harley-Davidsons in the arena of law enforcement. Add to that a Victory vs. BMW YouTube video and a quote from a Tuscon PD Motor Sargeant who says, "It can do everything a Harley can do, only more and better," and you've got the makings for a serious battle from an upstart outfitter intent on selling Victory bikes to American police departments.

Arizona-based Victory Police Motorcycles-- not affiliated directly with Victory or Polaris, apart from dealer ties-- offers two models: the windshield-equipped Commander I (based on a Kingpin), and the fully-faired Commander II (based on a Cross-Country.) Both bikes are powered by a 97 horsepower, 106 cubic inch V-twin, and can be ordered as turnkey units with the requisite lights, sirens, crash bars, and miscellaneous law enforcement accoutrement.

Could Victory police motorcycles catch on and challenge the red & blue two-wheeled establishment (like Kawasaki, BMW, and Honda)? Time will tell, as will the question of whether or not the bikes are perceived as truly worthy for police duty, or simply a patriotic option in the face of other viable (and pre-established) alternatives.

Thoughts?

Sources: Victory Police Motorcycles, Cyril Huze Blog

Related:

Photo Victory Police Motorcycles

Comments
March 2, 2011 at 11:40 am
(1) Kingpin Rider says:

I think Victory is the perfect machine for the guys in Blue. It’s a true American made bike that is solid and whose reputation is strong. I’ve own bikes and the Victory is my first American bike. I’m very impressed with the bike’s handling and speed so I’m sure it’ll meet any law enforcement department’s expectations. But will the price be right? They’re not cheap by any standard which would explain their durability and reputation for dependability.

March 2, 2011 at 11:57 am
(2) Brett954 says:

aahhh.. who cares.. Im not a fan of police, police bikes or police cars or police anything for that matter.. If anything, the only motorcycle I would actually care to see a police officer on would be a harley and that is only the nostalgia of it.. Im surprised they dont ride Hayabusas!

March 2, 2011 at 12:17 pm
(3) FrankG says:

I agree on the Hayabusa comment…
I’ve always wondered why the Police doesn’t ride them or ZX14′s…

March 2, 2011 at 2:28 pm
(4) Peter says:

I think police look more imposing on big bikes. Police on sports bikes look more like one of the guys and less intimidating to me.

March 7, 2011 at 3:09 pm
(5) Biker says:

Wow. What a great surprise to open the new year.
Actually I’m a motorcycle fan and I have a Question for some people who buy Bikes, Get out of it it’s very dangerous and everything in the motorcycle is dangerous. I don’t know what to do, I am perhaps looking for buying my own Motorcycle but you have benn heard about many Motorbike’s crashes and crashing. especially skull crashing blow, every and each rider in the world must to wear helmet because it’s protecting the head of the Rider. So, The bottom line is that I myself, want to buy a motorcycle but it made me fear. So the only one question remaining is that which vehicle is the best for me? Car or Motorcycle? it’s your conclusion. give me an answer here at about.com in this article. good night.

March 9, 2011 at 1:36 pm
(6) Kolonel Panik says:

There’s something very unpleasantly familiar about that photo, doesn’t one think? Some… prison, wasn’t it? Unpronounceable name? What is it about the USA, guns, girls, guards, and these weird smiles?

January 2, 2013 at 5:38 pm
(7) tony says:

Read michigan’s law enforcement trials. Done every year. Hd still out performs victory in real world lap time. Braking too.

January 3, 2013 at 9:13 pm
(8) Lone Ranger says:

Victory is superior to Harley, BMW, and Honda in almost all phases of police bike design. Plenty of youtubes available to show this. And spending all day patrolling on a Busa would kill you.

January 3, 2013 at 9:49 pm
(9) Easyrider says:

Harleys are the dinosaur of police bikes. Michigan tests are rigged and show nothing about features and officer comfort. Victory has dialed in the motor requirements, equipment needs and all day officer comfort. I have owned 4 Harleys and rode them 5 years on the job. None of them compared to the new Victory. Not even close. Smoother, faster, runs cooler, handles just as well including police maneuvers, made in the USA, sounds just as good, and is cheaper to maintain. I now own one.

April 2, 2013 at 7:34 pm
(10) john says:

I watched and the HD police bike is a civilian bike in Michigan because it handles poorly with police equipment. The victory could be seen from miles with it’s lights and has all it’s police equipment. I’m impressed with the Victory and traded my HD too many repairs for a Victory Police model…