1. Autos

Basem Wasef

Harley-Davidson's New Half-Helmet Vies for Visibility With LED Lights

By April 4, 2011

Harley Davidson Light Up Helmet

Okay, no April Fools this time: Harley-Davidson's new half helmet really does feature two integrated LED lights for enhanced visibility during nighttime rides.

Dubbed "Night Rider," this 2 lb, 6 oz fiberglass lid incorporates two front vents, a shortie visor, and a removable liner that's washable. Power comes from one AAA battery providing 14 hours of illumination, and the $195 helmet accepts RoadTech bluetooth headsets.

As mentioned in my review of Harley's Carbon Kevlar half lid, I'm personally a fan of full-face helmets-- which I why I opted to test it using unconventional methods-- but considering how brightly colored gear is an important part of being visible on a motorcycle, I'd say H-D's new lit up lid should be a serious draw for half helmet lovers.

The Night Rider lid is available now at Harley-Davidson dealerships in XS - 2XL sizes.

Related:

Photo Harley-Davidson; click to enlarge

Comments
April 4, 2011 at 11:44 am
(1) Pete says:

Now that’s not a bad idea!
When some blind, brainless, idiot in a mini-van tells the cop “I didn’t see the bike”, they’re probably not lying.
Anything that helps!

April 4, 2011 at 12:04 pm
(2) Dabber says:

It’s a good idea! I have a Gmax helmet that multi function LED’s, works pretty good. The concept is great.

April 5, 2011 at 1:19 pm
(3) Rider68 says:

Too bad that same half helmet has only about a 33% chance (or less) of saving your noodle in a crash.

April 5, 2011 at 2:58 pm
(4) Pete says:

Rider…..so true, but then we can’t interfere with the inalienable right to not take every chance offered to stay alive, can we?
I wouldn’t be caught dead in one…wait – maybe I would.
No…I wouldn’t…I wear a real helmet.

April 5, 2011 at 9:27 pm
(5) LED Lighting cecile says:

Ahah Pete so funny ! Yeah it is true that usually when it’s getting darker, bikers are more difficult to see. But with this LED helmet they’re going to be as floodlit as Xmas tree ! No way we can miss them now ahah

Cecile

April 15, 2011 at 9:44 am
(6) Martin says:

I like that design and LED function. A lil bit longer battery-duration would be cool.

April 18, 2012 at 8:51 pm
(7) john says:

now that i heard all reviews ,i belive my 3 quarter helmet those the job for me,thank you guys keep the sunny side up..

July 27, 2012 at 6:00 am
(8) Calvin says:

Is there going to be a police version with flashing red and blue lights?