1. Autos

Basem Wasef

2012 Indian Motorcycles Lineup: Pardon Our Dust While We Reinvent a Brand

By September 6, 2011

2012 Indian Motorcycles Lineup

Polaris-- American parent company of the Victory brand-- rescued the Indian motorcycle company earlier this year from an uncertain future.

Polaris is currently hard at work redefining the 110 year-old brand from the ground up-- no easy task, by any stretch of the imagination-- but they've released images and information on their 3-bike 2012 lineup.

See key specs and pricing in this 2012 Indian Motorcycles Buyer's Guide, and stay tuned to see how Polaris will bring the iconic nameplate into the 21st century.

Related:

Photo Polaris; click for Buyer's Guide

Comments
September 7, 2011 at 7:04 am
(1) Joe says:

I heard they may come out with a Scout and Spirit model in a yr or 2. If they can keep the prices reasonable I think Polaris will do well with the Indian line up.

September 7, 2011 at 11:13 am
(2) Jim says:

At $30 – 37K, I am going to say no thanks.

September 7, 2011 at 11:55 am
(3) Pete says:

This isn’t a lot different than 200HP sport bikes, than no one can afford or insure….despite how much they want one.
I’ll wind up my broken tape recorder again…
The industry needs to realize times ain’t what they used to be. People will buy bikes they can afford, and continue to drool over – but – not buy bikes that cost as much as a pretty nice car…or a down payment on a home.
They’ll probably sell a handfull, but 2 years down the road they’ll be writing a ton of red ink to give them away and wonder why.

September 7, 2011 at 12:57 pm
(4) Doug says:

Ridiculous over priced !! I’ll stick with my trusty and proven Honda Valkyrie Interstate !! No way they can survive at these prices, unless Polaris wats to throw money away

September 7, 2011 at 1:05 pm
(5) Rick says:

It seems history has shown that the high end bike niche does not succeed in the long term. Excelsior-Henderson, the Gilroy Indian, the Stellican Indians all failed with this model. Polaris seems to be following this model for their try with Indian, with Victory as their lower priced model. In any economic downturn, this is one of the first markets to dry up.

I don’t see them making it unless the reduce the bikes at least by $10K and make competitive to HD Touring line, and if they come up with a Scout, then make in same price range as Dyna and Softails. Selling a few thousand bikes a year at those price can’t sustain them long.

I think the boutique high end choppers/cruiser bikes, made by a few dozen makers 10 years ago, is down to less than 6 today. All other closed up shop.

September 7, 2011 at 7:57 pm
(6) Weasel says:

Save Indian? WHY! Let the marque die in peace. Polaris/Victory has an existing air cooled V-twin with 6 speed. Why are they re-inventing the wheel?

In these tough economic times it will be a hard sell to foist off a $30K bike on the public, especially when there is limited dealer support/warranty available.

September 8, 2011 at 12:15 pm
(7) Scottie says:

I have always loved the Chief and with Polaris behind it now I’d feel more comfortable with the $35,000. Its price is comparable to the H-D CVO (which sells out every year) and it’s something different.

Look, people buying an Indian aren’t going to be financing them – they are going to write a check or charge it on their AmEx Platinum card. They will park it in the same garage as their Mercedes, BMW, or Audi and probably a few other interesting cars or bikes.

They may know what a Pan Head is, but would never want the trouble. They want to know when they jump on for a 20 mile ride every other Sunday that the bike will start and won’t leave them stranded.

The economy isn’t great for a lot of people, but there are still a lot of wealthy people out there.

September 8, 2011 at 3:17 pm
(8) Scottie says:

They paid a total of $28 million for both Global Electric Motorcars and Indian, so it doesn’t seem like there is too much risk. Polaris’ Q2 sales are up 40% compared to 2010.

September 9, 2011 at 4:07 pm
(9) Terri says:

These scoots are Classic! I really want one. Please give me more info on how I can get it. OK? Thanx!

August 1, 2012 at 6:52 pm