1. Autos

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Basem Wasef

The REALLY Limited, $37,899 Indian Chief Vintage Limited Edition

By July 31, 2012

2013 Indian Chief Vintage Limited

Has it already been four years since I pondered whether the ancient Indian brand could survive?

Since Polaris-- the powersports giant which owns Victory Motorcycles and raked in $2.7 billion in sales last year-- acquired the Indian brand last April, they've been busy building up all-new Indian bikes while making due with a skimpy 2012 lineup (whose bikes ranged in price from $26,499 to $36,899.)

One of Indian's four 2013 model offerings is the Chief Vintage Limited Edition: this big, fringe saddle-clad bike is powered by a 105 cubic-inch air-cooled twin mated to a six-speed transmission, and a dry weight of 753 pounds, which ensures an *ahem* hefty road presence.

Can this Indian survive? With a run of only 35 bikes, this is hardly a thousands-strong series, a la Harley's CVO models. Surely it will sell out... right? While this appears to be a holdover until bigger, more mass produced offerings come along, I'm guessing* we'll just have to wait and see what Polaris has up their sleeves for the all-American brand.

* Guessing is the operative term-- I've dropped a line to Indian, but haven't heard back yet... will update this post when I do!

Related:

Photos Indian

Comments
July 31, 2012 at 7:26 pm
(1) Joe says:

WOW, almost $38k! I can’t see spending that kind of money on one ride. Maybe there will be 35 lotto wins this yr that will want one.

August 1, 2012 at 11:30 am
(2) Pete says:

$27k ~ $37k.
I don’t get it….
They sold how many?

August 1, 2012 at 11:35 am
(3) Ninja Kev says:

Aren’t you supposed to put saddles on horses?

August 1, 2012 at 1:58 pm
(4) Faezal says:

If this were a Japanese branded bike, people would say it’s downright ugly. It can’t compare to the Heritage Softail Classic — it just doesn’t look right (despite the fenders, the Vtwin is funny and odd).

Simply reviving the brand doesn’t mean it’s the real thing!

August 1, 2012 at 2:04 pm
(5) Scottie says:

I think Polaris had a goal of hitting $4 billion by now, but their growth has still been impressive considering the fact that all (i think) their products are fueled by carbon.

Still,I like.

August 1, 2012 at 6:43 pm
(6) Quaz says:

I just don’t get it? Jeep isn’t owned by Willys anymore. Does that make the jeep brand any less of a jeep? I admit that the new JK is the most horrible thing I have ever seen…. It’s still a jeep. That being said this is an Indian. I think it is worth the money, if you have it. I’d rather be riding this than a Harley. Nothing against Harley, they have fine bikes, I just prefer the way Indian looks to Harley. Plus I have something for American history. If I’m not mistaken Indian was around for a couple of minutes before Harley… But this is how I see it.

August 6, 2012 at 1:00 pm
(7) Monk Doug says:

Just the name Indian Motorcycles scares me. I knew Sam Pierce and I used to hang around his shop in Monrovia calif in the early 70′s And the reason sam moved to work for Steve Mcqueen was that Sam Knew it was the last breath for old flat head Indians. since 1950 every company that bought into the Indian name went bankrupt, never in the history of the internal combustion engin has more money blood sweat and tears been pourd into a failed idea, if I was a share holder in Polaris I would sell my shares now. as board member I would feel that I just bought a ticket on the Titanic. Well good luck your going to need it. Monk Doug

February 12, 2013 at 3:50 pm
(8) Bill Hewett says:

This modern “”Indian rendition is a Motorcycle “Vietnam”a lost cause that will drag Polaris down with it to perdition.