It's no secret that massive bike gatherings can be responsible for numerous fatalities, and Sturgis is certainly no exception. But the pace of this year's loss of life is a reminder of just how rapidly things can go south; last year saw a total of four deaths, while 2010 holds the record with a total of nine deaths.
Local authorities cite excessive speed and alcohol use as primary reasons for the accident rate, but it's also likely that unstructured group riding habits don't help matters, especially since events like Sturgis often involve negotiating through large masses of motorcyclists.
Source: Associated Press
- Alternative Sturgis Rally Turns Deadly
- Harley-Davidson CEO Keith Wandell Plans Ride to Sturgis Rally
- Ten Great American Motorcycle Events
- Road Rules: Helmet and Touring Laws By State
- The 15 Best Motorcycle Roads in America
Photo © Getty Images