1. Autos

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Basem Wasef

Triumph Rocket III Breaks Salt Flats Record with 174 mph Run

By October 27, 2012

Triumph Breaking Records at the Bonneville Salt Flats

The ginormous Triumph Rocket III's claim to fame is its stonking 2,294cc three-cylinder engine. But thanks to tweaks by Carpenter Racing, the plus-sized cruiser now enjoys a land speed record at the Bonneville Salt Flats.

Carpenter's performance kit pushes the mill from a claimed 146 hp to a whopping 240 hp, and additional tweaks to the 807 lb (!) donor bike helped it achieve an average speed of 174.276 mph while piloted by racer Jason DiSalvo, enough to claim a record in the Modified (normally aspirated) Fuel Class for up to 3,000cc displacement.

The record won't be official until it's ratified by the FIM in November, but suffice to say it's a solid endorsement for the folks who also sent a Rocket III through the quarter mile traps in a scant 8.99 seconds.

Rocket, indeed...

Source: rideatriumph.com

Related:

Photo © Triumph

Comments
October 28, 2012 at 8:03 am
(1) Pete says:

I’ll be the first to admit I’m not up on the technology that rolls in to Bonneville (love to see it), but let’s check a couple pertinent facts
- 2250CC
- “Fuel” What does that mean? Is that not pump gas?
- Tweaked
- 174 MPH …BIG F….. DEAL!

GSXR1000, S1000RR, R1, 1198, 1199, 1000RR, RSV4…those bikes, box stock, with turn signals and licence plates intact, will do that all day.
Granted they don’t weigh 800lbs, but that speaks volumes too..
Like I said…not up on LSR technology, but this just isn’t that impressive.
Yawn…

October 28, 2012 at 9:47 am
(2) Joe says:

Well said Pete, I was thinking the same thing. There are so many bikes that can do this right out of the box.

October 28, 2012 at 10:25 am
(3) Pete says:

And…! WSS 600′s are pulling 175MPH on race track straights, much less the Salt Flats. Fo that matter DiSalvos DSB 675 Triumph probably wasn’t that far off 174MPH.

October 28, 2012 at 11:59 am
(4) Scottie says:

Call me a spoiler, but I prefer swooping curves on a mountain road at 50 mph.

October 28, 2012 at 12:02 pm
(5) motorcycles says:

True, most sportbikes will spank these numbers… but an 800 lb cruiser moving that fast is noteworthy. Plus, an 8.99 quarter second time? Kinda ridiculous.

Basem

October 30, 2012 at 8:41 am
(6) BIGCAT says:

So many comments from people who don’t know what running on salt is all about , this is not asphalt….

October 31, 2012 at 5:09 pm
(7) Dan says:

If production sport bikes can do this “all day”. Then why don’t they have the record?

October 31, 2012 at 7:46 pm
(8) Pete says:

If production sport bikes can do this ďall dayĒ. Then why donít they have the record?
Very simply? Because it’s no big deal.
174MPH is probably the slowest of the litre bikes … they don’t need a car motor to get there either.
It’s only a record for a half ton tank.

October 31, 2012 at 8:19 pm
(9) Blownvalk01 says:

For an 800lb bike, this is impressive. Pete, since you dont understand what it truly take to go that fast and the flats, dont comment until you are educated. My valkyrie at 820 lbs ran 8.98 @151 mph. But it wont do over 155mph max. The amount of hp it takes to push a brick like the rocket 3 across something as unstable as salt is a feat that shouldnt be taken lightly. I am impressed, sice, i am INFORMED and EDUCATED as to the amount of work that goes into something like this. Some day, id like to get a goldwing to run 200 mph but not sure that will happen with some sort of boost. Naturally aspirated is definitely impressive.

November 2, 2012 at 7:54 am
(10) Pete says:

Thanks very much ‘blown’… so glad to read you’re INFORMED & EDUCATED.
I’ll comment when and if I choose…

November 2, 2012 at 10:45 am
(11) selandroid says:

I couldn’t help but notice that it says the “average” speed was 174 mph. What was the high speed?

November 3, 2012 at 1:01 am
(12) Blownvalk01 says:

@pete, you can keep commenting but, seriously, you sound like a 15 year old who thinks that a busa is the baddest bike ever made. You kept comparing sport bikes to cruisers. Different class. The zx14 holds the world land speed record in its class. As does the cbr1000rr in the litre bike class. They are under 500 lbs. It is obvious you just havent a clue. But i tell you what, any day you feel froggy, bring your sport.bike down to englishtown or the delmarva pennisula and i will humble your inline with my 820 lb valkyrie. I can back up my mouth. And i will tell you since you havent a clue as to what is possible and what isnt, i have an old bandit 1200 that might possibly be the fastest( in terms meaning top end) stock wheel base sport tourer on delmarva. So, bring it on. Ill give you the schooling you need to make informed comments.

November 3, 2012 at 6:09 pm
(13) Pete says:

1 – I’m not comparing sport bikes to cruisers…pointless. I am very well aware of the diffences…odds are a good deal more aware than you are.
2 – That barge with a 2.2L car motor scraped it’s way up to 174mph. My comment stands – Big F…in deal!!
3 – I don’t care if your Valkyrie will out run John Force
4 – I wouldn’t be caught dead on a ‘Busa.
5 – I’ve been schooled by much faster than you.

December 6, 2012 at 7:43 am
(14) Zeke Ohan says:

Pete;

Your comments have put you in a hole. Stop asking for a bigger shovel: Please!

January 7, 2013 at 6:35 am
(15) stuart says:

The motor in the Triumph was specially developed for that bike, it is not out of a car!!!

February 15, 2013 at 12:11 am
(16) ed Sweitzer says:

I’ve never been schooled on my 07 gsxr 1000 on the street. Corners staights. Wheelies. But this beast kicked my ass on a dyno drag in 05. torque!
And if you’ve ever road a fast cruiser not built to cut through wind, it’s all you can do to hang on at 130+. Muscle warroir…ect. give this bad ass yank its 15 min of fame.

May 29, 2013 at 7:27 pm
(17) Kerry says:

Yep, Some guys just don’t no bugger all do they. and yep a rocket 3 is a large air splitting barge but when you’ve got one that’s street registered, naturally aspirated and runs low nines like the one I’ve got you really do know your riding a real bike and yep I also own a 2013 zx1400 that also runs on the nines all day but I will say that it is a factory performance motorcycle and you would never call it a stock motorcycle in any way or form and that goes for all Performance Bikes, so I guess there’s nothing wrong with modifying a Rocket 3 to the same mechanical spec’s as a Japanese /Euro bike I’d just call that fair competition. Next I think I should strip all the steel off the Rocket and replace it all with carbon fibre just like my ZX14 and just might be equal down the strip and last of all lets get the motorcycle thing in perspective “ALL MOTOCYCLES ARE FUN TO RIDE”

June 10, 2013 at 3:45 pm
(18) Rocket III Rider says:

My mate has a Cub 90 and he claims he can do 200mph on a swamp, naked and riding backwards! I have an R111 and just left a GSXR 1000 standing, he was filling up with petrol at the time though! Loving Kerry’s comment not loving anything Pete has to say!

June 24, 2013 at 3:47 pm
(19) RocketMan says:

Bob Carpenters FIRST TRIUMPH ROCKET IS NOW FOR SALE! Carpenter racing recently sold their 8 second rocket and there FIRST SILVERBACK IS NOW BEING LISTED FOR SALE.

October 15, 2013 at 9:04 pm
(20) Ace says:

Made my final modification last week on my 2005 Rocket. Climbed on board her and in just under 1.5 seconds I was clearing the tops of pine trees two hundred yards away.
Now seriously, not to mention any names and no hard feelings but. I will tell you this. I am 58 I have rode allot of bikes under allot of different conditions. Until I climbed on top of a Triumph Rocket I had never experience such a ride. I may be partial but I think the Rocket is the finest production machine on two wheels out there. If you haven’t had the pleasure to ride one then try it. Then leave your comments.
CAUTION!!!!! If you do ride one make sure you have enough money to buy it. Your gone a want it.