1. Autos

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Basem Wasef

2013 Suzuki Motorcycles: GW250 Joins Beginner Bike Ranks, C90T BOSS Pulls Touring Duty

By November 13, 2012

2013 Suzuki C90T Boss

Things have been a little sleepy over at Suzuki, and their car division going the way of the dinosaur has only put further pressure on their bike division to boost sales.

For 2013, Suzuki aims to expand their motorcycle footprint by introducing a blacked-out, custom-style, touring-friendly C90T BOSS (<-- short for Blacked Out Suzuki Special... get it?) The saddlebag and tall windshield-clad cruiser packs a liquid-cooled, 1,462cc v-twin, and is priced at $13,999. And while incremental tweaks to the Burgman 650 ABS, GSX-R1000, and Hayabusa are certainly better than no change at all, I'm personally more excited about the 2013 Suzuki GW250, a naked starter bike that's powered by a liquid-cooled, 248cc parallel-twin engine.

2013 Suzuki GW250

Suzuki has been coy (or negligent, depending on your perspective) about pricing for the muscular looking newbie ride, but perhaps the trepidation is comprehensible. After all, it's fair to assume the GW250's success will depend almost entirely on how it stacks dollar-wise against the $4,199 Honda CBR250R and the $4,799 Kawasaki Ninja 300-- two potent competitors that have seriously raised the stakes in the market for great beginner bikes.

Related:

Photos © Suzuki

Comments
November 13, 2012 at 9:11 am
(1) Buckeye Charly says:

Anyone and I mean ANYONE who calls a 250cc a beginner bike, has not been around motorcycles for very long. A bike like Honda’s Rebel is completely capable of cruising from coast to coast or running errands (unless you weigh 300 lbs). They cruise at legal speeds, stop on a dime and can be picked up by almost every rider. Not much else is required to be a true motorcycle, and while a physically smaller bike is preferable for a beginning rider,(most training courses use them) a 250 can be and is the final cruiser bike for thousands of bikers. After 60 years of riding motorcycles I feel I have some basic knowledge of bike types and their capabilities, so those of you who are new to motorcycling (less than 20 years of riding) need to pay attention. Currently I ride an Intruder 1500 LC
but I have also ridden a single-cyl 350cc Yamaha Exciter 20K a year including trips in the Smokies and to Texas at Xmas. Size does not matter – the skill of the rider does. Of course 250′s have little business on Xways but they can handle everything else just fine. My 67 y.o. wife rides a Rebel Trike and we are planning a 3 week trip to uppa NY – Mich – Texas next spring. She has been riding 20K a year, and is definitely not a “beginner”. So do some more research before you call 250′s beginners bikes. 50cc’s are for beginners…or maybe not?

November 13, 2012 at 12:48 pm
(2) Scottie says:

Hmm.

I’m 6’2″ and find a H-D Softail cramped and the touring class just acceptable. Most smaller displantment

November 13, 2012 at 12:53 pm
(3) Scottie says:

Hmm.

Iím 6í2″ and find a H-D Softail cramped and the touring class just acceptable. Most smaller displacement bikes are just too small.

The CT90 BOSS looks pretty nice, but isn’t just a copycat?

November 13, 2012 at 5:09 pm
(4) Pete says:

Buckeye,

I think you should take a step back and maybe read that again. The 250 is not solely intended for, marketed as, or designed as a “beginners bike”…rather it makes a great beginners bike if that is the desired use. Nor did Basem state as much…he as well said “makes a great beginner bike”
The CBR250 is 10 times the bike the Rebel ever was and a far better ‘beginners’ bike…if that is the desired use.
It is very simply, a very nice bike…just happens to be a 250.

November 14, 2012 at 2:33 am
(5) Basem Wasef, Motorcycles Guide says:

Buckeye Charly,

I’ve been riding more than 20 years, but it’s not realistic to put a 20 year-old machine on a list of great beginner bikes; for better or worse, street bikes simply don’t get much smaller than 250cc these days.

Since we have another site dedicated to classics, we focus primarily on new bikes here.

Basem

January 23, 2013 at 7:34 am
(6) Antuan says:

I’ve tested one of these new GW250′s and I loved it. I could not fault it on any point. It was comfortable and sporty. It was smooth and responsive. I cruised very happily at 60km/h in traffic and shot up to 120km/h with ease to get away from traffic. I’m 6’2″ and everything was in just the right place, and felt right. The exhaust sounds full and powerful. What I loved the most is that the bike had the presence, attitude and appearance of a much bigger big with more than adequate speed and performance for realistic urban thrills and usefulness.

January 23, 2013 at 7:43 am
(7) Antuan says:

I’ve tested one of these new GW250′s and I loved it. I could not fault it on any point. It was comfortable and sporty. It was smooth and responsive. I cruised very happily at 60km/h in traffic and shot up to 120km/h with ease to get away from traffic. I’m 6’2″ and everything was in just the right place, and felt right. The exhaust sounds full and powerful. What I loved the most is that the bike had the presence, attitude and appearance of a much bigger bike/b> with more than adequate speed and performance for realistic urban thrills and usefulness.

February 10, 2013 at 1:37 pm
(8) Stan says:

Hmmm… what defines a beginner’s bike?

PRICE!!!

I don’t care what you argue about displacement-wise. That’s a moot point.

The beginner is any age, but MOSTLY a youngster from 16-18y/o. They buy what they can AFFORD to buy. If that’s a new bike then they can take their McDonald’s paycheck and apply it towards these 250′s you’re all wired up about. THAT’s ABOUT ALL they can afford! Remember! – 600cc bikes used to be cheap enough for the new rider (youngsters) to afford. Now, not so much.

The smart buyer however would opt to see what’s out there in the used marketplace. There, the choices in cc’s raises dramatically depending on what you like.

To the 90y/o guy that thinks if you have less than 20 years on a bike that you’re not an experienced rider? What a load of crap grandpa.

Not that I disagree that a 250 can be a fun touring bike if you know what you’re doing, but you show a lot of balls making such a stupid statement as that. I suppose that GP racers in their 20′s are just newbies? Get real.

May 2, 2013 at 11:23 am
(9) Chris says:

“MOSTLY” is inaccurate. When I took the MSF in 2012 only 2 people were under the age of 30.