1. Autos

Basem Wasef

Ducati Unveils Touring-Friendly 2013 Diavel Strada, Hyperstrada Spinoffs

By November 13, 2012

2013 Ducati Diavel Strada

Here's a one word Italian lesson to better help you understand Ducati's 2013 lineup: "Strada" means "road"-- as in, a couple of new bikes make it easier to spend a ton of time on the highway. Sure, the already fierce 1199 Panigale gets an even angrier spinoff dubbed the Panigale R-- a $29,995 rocket with World Superbike-derived homologation goodies like titanium rods and carbon bodywork-- but the more surprising news pertains to two new touring-oriented Ducatis.

First up is the Diavel Strada (seen here), which throws a tall windshield, saddlebags, heated grips, fixed pillion pegs, and 20mm taller handlebars into the power cruiser mix. The Diavel Strada runs $19,495, or $1,800 more than the entry level Diavel, the Dark.

2013 Ducati Hyperstrada

Ducati's supermoto-style variant has also been updated with three new models: the Hypermotard ($11,995), Hypermotard SP ($14,695), and-- you guessed it-- Hyperstrada ($13,295, seen here.) All three versions are now powered by a liquid-cooled, 821cc L-twin producing 110 horsepower which replaces the outgoing air-cooled 803cc and 1,078cc lumps-- big news, especially since the new engine boasts an impressive 18,500 mile service interval. The SP model adds standard ABS, traction control, uprated suspension, and lighter mass, while the Hyperstrada (seen here) bundles traction control and ABS with semi-rigid saddlebags, a tall windshield, and a center stand.

Does a Ducati with saddlebags draw you closer to the brand, or do you wish they'd build more two-wheeled insanity like the Panigale R? Gotta say, I'm curious to see if this new lineup will have a polarizing effect on die-hard Ducatisti... and even more crucially, I'd love to swing a leg over and come to my own conclusion.

Related:

Photos Ducati

Comments
November 13, 2012 at 7:55 am
(1) Joe says:

I think “Diavel Strada ” means super ugly in Italian. Wow that bike is HIDEOUS!

November 13, 2012 at 2:04 pm
(2) Pete says:

Joe…you said it!
That abortion would have to improve by a factor just to make it to ‘super ugly’.

November 14, 2012 at 11:35 am
(3) Paul says:

I rode one, (without bags) forget the looks, this bike is awesome. Never expected to like this bike, until i rode it.

40 Year’s on HD,Triumph, BMW and more.

November 14, 2012 at 12:30 pm
(4) Hooger158 says:

Those bags look useless. Very strange decision to make these.

November 14, 2012 at 3:13 pm
(5) Dabber says:

As I get wiser. I can look past the styling of things and think more about functionality.

November 14, 2012 at 4:25 pm
(6) Pete says:

I’m pretty sure I’m wiser now that I was 20 years ago….it’s still butt ugly.

November 14, 2012 at 10:26 pm
(7) FrankG says:

All I can say is if you never rode a Diavel get a test ride and then let me know… it’s an amazing bike…specially with some Termi’s!

Basem, sorry for getting off topic here but looking at the Honda line up, where is the CBR1000???

November 23, 2012 at 4:30 pm
(8) supermantoatl says:

looks like machine not a motorcycle. I’ve Read the article and i’m not surprising to find out that this bike is probably the only one best in the Year of 2013.

January 7, 2013 at 12:25 pm
(9) Mario says:

This bike outperfoms most all bikes I have ridden over more than 20 years (BMW, YAMAHA, and of course HD). While it is clear that the Diavel does not have many raving fans in the more old-fashioned HD market, it will sure make waves in other markets. I for one -while an “old-crowder” myself- am looking forward to buying one of these beasts.

March 4, 2013 at 8:04 pm
(10) Tom says:

53 years riding with a garage full of Ducks and Geese and Triumphs and BMWs – yuo get the idea. One day my service manager talked me into a ride on a Diavel. I immediately sacrificed two great bikes for this, by far the most entertaining motorcycle I have ever ridden. Ducati did their homework when they made this killer “cruiser”, which is really a standard in disguise. It absolutely inhales almost anything with a sound that cant be mistaken for anything but a near-race engine. The point is that this butt-ugly motorcycle is a rip-snorting bull from hell on the highway. Many people without any experience on it. wont like the Diavel Many will dislike it because it isn’t what they want. But some of us will accept the beast for what it is – one huge blast of fun. And that is what is was meant to be.