1. Autos

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Basem Wasef

Poor Man's Motorcycle Airbag Promises Spill Protection

By February 5, 2013

SaferMoto Motorcycle Airbag

We've seen complex accelerometer and GPS-based airbag systems from leading gear manufacturers like Dainese and Alpinestars (not to mention far cheaper options from Impact Jackets), and now there's another low-priced option from a company called SaferMoto.

Using a decidedly low-tech solution that involves a tether-actuated neck inflation device (as demonstrated in this YouTube video), SaferMoto's system runs between $350 and $493. Inexpensive CO2 replacement cartridges are available for the unlikely event of repeated tarmac landings.

Company founder Alan Cunningham claims he walked away from 90 mph and 125 mph crashes thanks to the vest, and the system is currently available for rent at the Yamaha Champions Riding School... but do you think the vest is worth the dough?

Drop a comment below with your thoughts on whether or not you'd try your luck with this airbag-equipped vest.

Source: SaferMoto

Related:

Photo SaferMoto

Comments
February 5, 2013 at 10:08 pm
(1) Alan says:

May be “low cost” but it is far from “low tech”
Japanese Police have been wearing this solution for over 16 years

February 5, 2013 at 10:13 pm
(2) James says:

The technology is tried and proven, no need to “try your luck”. With over 18 years of field testing this technology works

February 5, 2013 at 11:46 pm
(3) Pete says:

I tried one on at the Toronto Int’l MC Show last year. The sales rep deployed the CO2 cartiridge, the vest inflated and he whacked me across the back with a baseball bat.
Now…he didn’t haul off and try put me out of the park – but – without the vest I would have been on the ground for sure, and probably hurt.
Excellent product…they work…great advance in safety.

February 6, 2013 at 8:06 am
(4) Joe says:

I agree, this is a good idea and the price is starting to come down were people can afford it.

February 6, 2013 at 11:39 am
(5) Ninja Kev says:

This is great news! Now I no longer have to tape a bunch of inflated lawn & leaf bags to my jacket when I ride! That was my cheap solution but the air drag and constant flapping noise were a bitch to cope with.

February 6, 2013 at 1:39 pm
(6) Pete says:

Bet it got old having to blow them back up every time you stopped for a coffee or a whiz….

February 6, 2013 at 3:50 pm
(7) Ivan Alonso says:

Our 14 year old son has been wearing it since he was 11 and without it I’m sure he’d be pretty injured. At las Vegas about a year ago, he crashed in T5 at about 100mph and walked away with a sore elbow.

We recommend it to everyone and any one.

February 6, 2013 at 4:02 pm
(8) Alan says:

Pete

It takes over 60lbs of pressure to pull the tether. Never had someone set it off accidentally

February 6, 2013 at 5:15 pm
(9) Pete says:

Here we go again…

I know how they work Alan…thanks!
I was trying to have a laugh with Ninja Kev.

February 6, 2013 at 5:37 pm
(10) Eric Anderson says:

My 12-year-old son has been racing motorcycles with a SaferMoto vest for many years. He has thoroughly crashed tested the vest at high and low speeds over the years, and has always come away uninjured. In particular, he has had some spectacular high-sides and come down very hard. Without the airbag vest there is no doubt he would have been seriously injured. The airbag vest has always deployed correctly and done it’s job well. I’m very happy to see so many riders wearing one these days. Thank you Alan and SaferMoto for making these available.

February 6, 2013 at 5:44 pm
(11) John says:

I’ve been wearing one for three years now with hundreds of on/offs – with ZERO issues with accidental inflation. I recommend the airbag jacket at every opportunity. However, I live in a state where over half the riders I see don’t even wear helmets. I get indifference, if not outright ridicule, from some of these folks. Oh well…..

February 6, 2013 at 5:46 pm
(12) Jim says:

I have owned one of these vests for several years, it fits well and is not much of a bother to use, I just have to remember to clip on the tether. As others have mentioned, it takes quite a lot of force to trip the inflation mechanism, so there’s not much chance of it going off accidentally

(if for example you forgot to unhook and started walking away from the bike … go ahead ask me how I know ;-)

I have not yet crash-tested it, so can’t comment first hand on how effective it is, but after watching the videos I was convinced it was a good purchase – $350 won’t even get you a ride in an ambulance any more … let alone any ER care ;-)

February 6, 2013 at 9:43 pm
(13) allen green says:

never leave home with out mine. and yes i have set it off for demo purposes hundreds of times and once on accident when i unhooked my tank bag plug instead of the tether.

February 6, 2013 at 9:56 pm
(14) John M says:

I ride every day and wear and MLV Vest from SaferMoto every time I ride and have been for years. “Tested” at a couple track days and walked away without injury from two crashes, one of which could have been pretty nasty.
Cheaper than any ambulance ride.

February 8, 2013 at 11:49 am
(15) Ninja Kev says:

But remember, it’s very important to wear it on the OUTSIDE of your riding jacket. Pete, you’ve still got a ways to go on your sarcamy skills…once again you were misinterpreted.

February 8, 2013 at 1:21 pm
(16) Pete says:

Damn! Is that what I did wrong?? No friggin wonder my jacket doesn’t fit any more!

It’s getting too hard to have a laff!
Henceforth, my postings will come with a Sarcasm Generals warning.

February 11, 2013 at 2:57 pm
(17) Alan says:

Pete,
There rally should be a “sarcasm” font :)

February 11, 2013 at 5:55 pm
(18) Pete says:

Alan…at least this way we know who’s on the ball !

February 11, 2013 at 7:39 pm
(19) Jeff R says:

I own and use the “YS” model vest from SaferMoto.
Really like the increased visibility it provides.
I have not and never hope to put it to use,but I like knowing its there,just in case.
It is very easy to use,just one click and you are set.
Allows very good airflow for the hot southwestern days.