1. Autos

Basem Wasef

2014 Honda CTX700: Inseam-Friendly NC700X Variants for the Touring Cruiser Set

By February 12, 2013

2014 Honda CTX700N

If you dig reasonably economical touring bikes but are put off by the Honda NC700X's adventure-focused personality or its 32.7 inch seat height, you might appreciate the new-for-2014 CTX700. Based on an NC700X platform with the same 670cc parallel-twin canted forward 62 degrees for mass centralization, this horizontally stretched ride offers a lower seat height of 28.3 inches and a (now) more approachable starting price of $6,999.

Sadly, as with the NC700X, ABS is bundled with a dual-clutch transmission. The small fairing-equipped CTX700 (seen above) starts at $7,799, or $8,799 for the CTX700D with ABS and a dual-clutch transmission. The CTX700 is also available in naked form, starting at $6,999 for the CTX700N model, or $7,999 for the CTX700ND with ABS and a dual-clutch transmission. Both bikes should hit showrooms this Spring...

2014 Honda NC700X in red

In related news, the NC700X has finally been renewed for the 2013 model year, and is now available in red-- not exactly groundbreaking news, though the strong-selling upright tourer does switch around its pricing in the process, swelling from $6,999 to $7,499 for the base model, while the ABS/DCT equipped version shrinks from $8,999 to $8,499.

Related:

Photo Honda

Comments
February 13, 2013 at 10:11 am
(1) dabber says:

I like them! Anything to get more people into motorcycles the better. people are gonna nay say this effort but I won’t.
Honda looking to the future instead of the retro styling of the past. Verity is the spice of life.

February 13, 2013 at 10:14 am
(2) dabber says:

I can’t spell variety. lol

February 13, 2013 at 12:05 pm
(3) Joe says:

I’m not into this type of bike but if you are it looks like a good choice. Only bad move on Honda’s part is making people have to get the ABS with the Auto trans.

February 13, 2013 at 1:28 pm
(4) Phoebe says:

Wow, finally a touring bike for me! Every sport tourer and adventure bike I sit on, my feet don’t even reach the ground. This one would work perfectly for me.

February 13, 2013 at 4:38 pm
(5) Charles Hyde says:

Wow, Honda must have read my mind. I Have been staying awake nights trying to figure out how to modify the NX 700 so I could make it work for me. Honda has addressed every issue I Had. I intend to be the first kid on the block to have one of the new cxt’s.

February 13, 2013 at 6:27 pm
(6) Sloan says:

I would like the ABS without the DCT as well. But my biggest dislike is the chain final drive. I make some long rides on my vfr800 and having to mess with the chain while on the road is annoying.

I rode the nc700x and I did like it. I want to see a picture of the front of this faired model. There don’t seem to be any out yet. I like them enough that if I could get abs with no dct make it shaft or even belt drive, I’d be all over it.

February 15, 2013 at 10:48 pm
(7) TomT says:

Love the CTX. However, will not go back to chain drive.

February 15, 2013 at 11:13 pm
(8) Disappointed says:

Love everything about the CTX700 except the chain drive. Why would anyone put a chain on a modern touring motorcycle.

February 18, 2013 at 12:52 pm
(9) dwayne says:

ride this bike and everyone will laugh at you cause you are to uncoordinated to shift, this scooter is ment for girls,if a guy rides it make sure you have lipstick on a wearing a dress.

February 18, 2013 at 10:41 pm
(10) Burt says:

Have longed for a smaller Goldwing style motorcycle. But a chain drive! That’s a deal breaker

February 18, 2013 at 10:44 pm
(11) Jeff says:

dwayne, believe it or not, some people ride for the enjoyment and not just to be noticed.

March 15, 2013 at 3:48 pm
(12) Rainer says:

About 50% of comments address the (ridiculous) chain drive. Does Honda understand? I’m afraid not.
Why do certain outdated technical solutions survive? I have not the slightest idea.
In Germany, automated gear shift in cars is less than 10%, would you believe it?
Honda offers the scooter integer based on the 700 series, with dct, and …chain drive. That would have been my next bike. Would, if only.

May 22, 2013 at 11:22 am
(13) Jj says:

After 34 years of Gold Wings, I am ready to downsize. Honda comes up with the perfect size for me. Alas, like so many, I am not ready to go back to the chain drive they offer for this bike. A deal breaker for me too.

June 5, 2013 at 7:43 pm
(14) David Ross says:

Disappointed, ask Ducati. It seems to work fine on the Multistrada.

June 5, 2013 at 8:08 pm
(15) Thomas Weir says:

I now have over 2000miles on my NC700X and could not be happier!. My NC is averaging 74.2 mpg. Light, low center of gravity, good brakes, easy to ride, easy to service. With Givi Saddle bag and top box, heated hand grips, all set for year round riding.

June 6, 2013 at 4:45 pm
(16) Peter says:

My choice is the CTX700 naked bike. I’m not a touring/fairing kind of guy and even if I were, I’d want it bigger for longer trip comfort. The naked model looks more like an honest street bike the Triumph category. I could see myself easily on the naked model for shorter rides and urban use. In fact I’m interested now in sitting on one at a dealership. The feet forward is important to me as I have perineum issues with traditional feet under and leaning forward positions.
(Too much information :-) )

September 11, 2013 at 10:54 pm
(17) S Cannon says:

the nc700x was made for me ! we are planning a trip to Alaska soon and that bike will be taking me. love everything about it.