1. Autos

Basem Wasef

2014 Indian Motorcycles Lineup Revealed

By August 7, 2013

Indian Chief Classic

We've seen the teasers, digested the pricing, and by now, pretty much any bike enthusiast with a pulse has formed an opinion on Polaris Industry's revitalization of the Indian Motorcycles brand. Now, here's what we've all been waiting for: a look at the three bike lineup which constitutes the first new model year of the brand which was originally formed in 1901.

2014 Indian Chieftain

All three bikes-- the $18,999 Chief Classic, the $20,999 Chief Vintage, and the $22,999 Chieftain-- feature a big, 111 cubic v-twin, keyless entry, ABS, and cruise control. But do they have the looks and character to lure riders away from Harley-Davidson? As Indian Motorcycles CEO Scott Wine told me during a phone interview, "I refer to [Harley] as the 8,000 pound gorilla"-- suggesting there's a whole lot of catch up to be played.

In the meantime, take a closer look at the bikes' retro styling in this 2014 Indian Motorcycles Photo Gallery and Buyer's Guide, and stay tuned for reviews.

Related:

Photos Indian; click for gallery

Comments
August 7, 2013 at 6:36 am
(1) Joe says:

I think Indian (Polaris) is making the right move here. The Chief line looks good (unlike the Victory line that look like space ships) and comes with a lot for the money. More competitive price with HD now too. The big question is the reliability (only a 1 yr warranty?) of the motor and the rest of the bike. I would like to have seen at least a 2 yr warranty or more.

August 7, 2013 at 10:55 am
(2) Terry says:

I agree – Polaris may be one of the few companies that can bring back the Indian namesake, but I will keep my ’46 Chief, just the same. Nothing like a real Indian with the suicide clutch and the advance/retard spark that will throw you over the handlebars if you try to start it fully advanced. There are not too many “motorcyclists” that can start and drive an old Indian. Terry

August 7, 2013 at 11:09 am
(3) David says:

I am always reminded of a ’60 Cadillac whenever I see a Harley or similar bike. Absolutely awful looking design. My preference is for a more spare and, from my perspective, more beautiful design such as the Italian bikes and some of the Japanese bikes. I wish an American company would surface that could make bikes competitive with them. Buell was promising, but Harley incompetence ruined that.

August 7, 2013 at 2:54 pm
(4) Pete says:

HD may have had a small hand in the Buell demise, but Eric Buell screwed it up pretty much all by himself.
At least HD was smart enough to unload it.

August 7, 2013 at 8:25 pm
(5) Davi says:

Pete, exactly how did Eric Buell screw it up?

August 7, 2013 at 10:52 pm
(6) Pete says:

How did he screw it up? Let’s see…
Even with the DMG paid off nicely in his back pocket, and all his flag waving, he still managed to get his 1200cc Austrian powered “USA built” POS humiliated by 600′s. Danny Eslicks brilliant riding saved him for one season. Funny how ‘other’ 1200cc bikes were not allowed in the class….
Then he builds a pretend SBK which the DMG – again – allows around the rules (homologation rules state an AMASBK must be based on a street legal bike of which at least 200 have been built).
All this, and he can’t give his street bikes away.
Epic fail …

August 8, 2013 at 8:54 am
(7) Scotties says:

The Chieftain is rather a miss, but if I ever have time to wear out my current bike, the Vintage will be my next.

Still unsure why a 1,200 qualified to race in a 600 class. Even more confused by the fact it didn’t win.

August 8, 2013 at 11:27 am
(8) Joe says:

HD as tried to bring a sportbike to the US market many times and they do not sell well. The latest was the XR1200 and once again no one wanted it. Victory is smart, stick with what sells, cruisers. The cruiser market is twice as big as the sportbike market. Leave the sportbike market to the Japanese.

August 8, 2013 at 11:40 am
(9) Joe says:

I’m sure someone will response to my comment with demographics and that young people want sportbikes. First, old people have more money to spend on stuff like motorcycles and second, we all (hopefully) will get old and when ya do get old, demographics show most people switch to cruisers.

August 8, 2013 at 4:38 pm
(10) Pete says:

Scottie..Buell coudn’t figure it out either! Curious though….most everyone else had it nailed.
It “qualified” because he had friends in low places..

Joe…indeed most young people want sport bikes. My problem (one of a number…) is, I don’t plan on growing up any time soon! I have this theory that sport bikes keep me younger than than my birth certificate.
You know…why bother with a 2nd childhood if you haven’t finished with the first one!?

August 8, 2013 at 5:40 pm
(11) Joe says:

Hey Pete, it’s not about growing up but about getting older. Can i still do the things I could do when I was 20? No. I have a friend who has a Suzuki 1000 gsxr, he just had a joint in his hip fixed. Can’t ride his bike very far anymore because of this and is now thinking of a cruiser. Second point, what if I went on a Ducati post and said, hey, Ducati should build a cruiser, you know, something with floorboards and saddlebags and beachbars. you would think I was nuts, right? Know you customer base. HD, Victory, Indian and Ducati know what works for them The first 3, cruisers, the last 1, high powered sportbikes.

August 8, 2013 at 6:20 pm
(12) Pete says:

No argument from me!

August 21, 2013 at 9:26 pm
(13) Peter says:

I’m still smiling at “Keyless Entry”
Maybe bikes need a new term?