1. Autos

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Basem Wasef

2014 Harley-Davidson Motorcycles: "Project Rushmore" Updates 8 New Bikes, Incorporates Available Liquid Cooling

By August 19, 2013

2014 Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Reviews

Change has swept across the 2014 Harley-Davidson lineup, and the modifications-- which the Motor Company is referring to as "Project Rushmore"-- couldn't come soon enough for the 110 year-old motorcycle manufacturer. No, they're not getting liquid cooled*, but the 2014 Harley lineup should appease many who complain that H-D model evolution usually doesn't stray beyond snazzy new paint and clever new ways to apply chrome.

According to just-released details, Project Rushmore encompasses eight new bikes which were updated based on customer feedback: Road King, Street Glide, Street Glide Special, Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Ultra Limited, Tri Glide Ultra, CVO Ultra Limited, and CVO Road King. The changes include:

• More Power... in the form of Twin-Cooled High Output Twin Cam 103 or High Output Twin Cam 103 powertrains
  • Better Stopping... thanks to linked ABS
  • Infotainment... with a color touchscreen Boom! system equipped with voice recognition, GPS, bluetooth, and support for intercom systems
  • Aerodynamics... offering 20 percent less head buffeting resulting from a new Batwing fairing with splitscreen venting
  • Restyling... with re-worked hand switches, fender design, larger saddlebags, and lighter aluminum wheels
Changes have also been made to other areas of the 2014 Harley-Davidson lineup, and I'll be posting updates as soon as I swing a leg over the new bikes in just a few hours.

* Update: Harley-Davidson has incorporated liquid-cooled cylinder heads in their Twin-Cooled High Output Twin Cam 103 engine (found in the 2014 Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited and Tri Glide Ultra) and the Screamin' Eagle Twin-Cooled Twin Cam 110 powerplant (in the CVO limited). The system hides two radiators in the fairing just aft of the rider's legs, and routes water hoses into the tops of the cylinder to primarily cool the exhaust valves. Read updates via our Twitter and Facebook accounts, and stay tuned for more information on Harley's air and liquid cooled engines, as well as full reviews of their new bikes.

Related:

Photo Harley-Davidson

Comments
August 19, 2013 at 11:01 am
(1) joe says:

Looks like HD has stepped up it’s game, just wondering if the price of the bikes has stepped up too. Hope not.

August 19, 2013 at 12:02 pm
(2) Hugh says:

Funny, this guy says they DID get water cooling, although HD does their best not to say so:

August 19, 2013 at 5:46 pm
(3) Trendy man says:

I’m in the back of my Harley dealer right now looking at the” Yes” Water cooled touring bikes! They are deffanently top choice touring machines

August 20, 2013 at 8:44 am
(4) Scottie says:

as long as you have to have a faring, a little more plastic down below seems fine, but it will look silly on a RK Classic.

August 20, 2013 at 4:49 pm
(5) dabber says:

I’m glad they are improving the motor! It’s been one of my gripes with HD.

August 20, 2013 at 8:50 pm
(6) Al says:

If they can increase performance and durability, I don’t mind. Interestingly BMW just added water cooling to their new boxer twin adventure touring 1200. As Bob Dylan said, the times they are a changin’.

August 21, 2013 at 11:01 am
(7) Peter says:

Seems to me that the tough EPA and California pollution rules are going to eventually force all new bikes to be liquid-cooled. That is the only way engines can have tolerances tight enough to meet these guidelines. Also tightly mapped EFI and catalytic converters, etc.

August 21, 2013 at 1:04 pm
(8) Dave says:

Harley is so far behind in the advanced technology department that they think they are first! Take a good long look at a Goldwing and see if you can copy any good ideas that will help with your ball roasting bikes! I have Harleys and Jap bikes, and to be perfectly honest, I like and ride the Jap bikes more than the teeth chattering MIlwaukee vibtrators.

August 21, 2013 at 4:44 pm
(9) CC says:

Dave – Seems it’s inevitable that someone has to turn any commentary into an opportunity to bash another brand. Yes, I’ve owned Japanese, British & American motorcycles. They all have their distinct advantages and disadvantages and one is clearly not superior to another. The Gold Wing is a nice efficient touring bike, for sure, however IMHO, it has about as much character and personality as a toaster oven. I prefer my Harley precisely for the reasons you don’t like them. I can tell there’s a real machine between my legs and I can feel all of the little mechanical machinations. Some want to be isolated from the road and others want to immerse themselves in the experience. Neither one is wrong…

August 21, 2013 at 5:15 pm
(10) Ronnie says:

I’ve ridden Harleys, and I’ve ridden Goldwings…………Well when it came time to purchase my ride, and lay down $25,000 I decided on a bike that will not break my ear drums, as well break down on the rode….I bought a Honda Wing………..and I ride with a smile on my face……smooth,quiet,relaxing,realible…Soooooo instead of riding from bar 2 bar, I now ride state to state…NO MORE HARLEYS FOR ME!

August 22, 2013 at 4:54 am
(11) Willie says:

Harley should take a lesson from VW. The famous Beetle nearly sank them. By the time they woke up and saw that the Japs had passed them, they had to get the Golf (called different names in other markets) into the market urgently. The result was that the early models quality was really bad. Old is cool for some folks, bling and artwork impressive – but the trouble with treading water is that you go nowhere – until you get tired and sink to the bottom.

August 22, 2013 at 1:00 pm
(12) Peter says:

Willie’s comment about the Beetle is exactly what I mean about air-cooled. That little car just couldn’t keep up with the environmental awareness. I think they still make them in Mexico or Brazil because they don’t have the restraints. But then look at the horrible pollution of Mexico City.
I love the simple retro-ness of Beetles and old BMWs, etc, but I’m just saying that times have changed.

August 22, 2013 at 1:07 pm
(13) Peter says:

I’m not an expert on Harleys, but I seems to me that since they have a dry sump and the oil is stored in a reservoir, that having a decent oil cooler in between and liquid cooling the heads, that this would be adequate cooling. It also allows they to maintain their original design of the barrels and pushrods, etc.

August 24, 2013 at 11:41 pm
(14) lmotoroby says:

The gold wing riders couldn’t handle a HARLEY!

August 26, 2013 at 7:36 am
(15) Willie says:

My old Yamaha XT500 thumper had a dry sump with the oil in the frame – and the motor was well down on power compared to the liquid cooled motors. BMW also circulated the engine oil through the heads (so called oil head motors) and an oil cooler. Technically, the piston / head design on watercooled motors are a lot better than on air cooled motors, with the result that they perform a lot better – and they pollute less. Harley is fortunate to have such loyal supporters – they should look after them.

August 28, 2013 at 5:48 pm
(16) michael smith says:

Makes me love my Evo even more ..

August 31, 2013 at 12:33 pm
(17) e says:

Simply put, hd out sells the : japs, limese, kruats, and victory(indian) by a long shot. So please let the men talk amongst ourselves whilst you boy ( that can’t afford a hd ) bicker and one up each other all you want. Because none of us men & women don’t care two ioadas about what you have to say until you can pony up with the big boy and their toys

September 4, 2013 at 12:35 pm
(18) DW says:

Responding to you non-American bike lovers.

I am an engineer. I research the crap out of anything I buy! Reliability and engineering is priority in my decision making.

The myth that a HD will leave you stranded because it broke down on the road is just a myth. Yes, the old HD’s leaked oil due to an outdated design, but that was decades ago. I am sure you will find a case here or there, but I can do the same for a Jap bikes and Brit bikes etc.

The truth is evident when you look and the facts. HD’s have lots of torque; they are reliable and built by well trained Americans; they get some of the best fuel economy to power ratios a bike in it’s class has to offer. Now look at what I said, lots of torque and good economy. That is only achieved from well engineered machinery.

Yes, there are other good touring bikes out there. If your not a fan of a HD, thats fine, but if you want to accuse them of lacking sound engineering and build quality, your just showing that you really didn’t do your research.

Personally, I think the gold wing is engineered well. But, they forgot that a well engineered machine can be a thing of beauty as well. And Honda uses too many cheep plastic fake chrome pieces for my taste.

I want well engineered, beautiful and real metal parts on my motorcycle. And I have more faith in the American product than most because I design and build American products as well, and I have seen what the competition has to offer. I am proud of American products and I have seen that they are truly superior in many ways. The only reason we don’t have more is from government regulations, and time will bring the factories home. But that’s a different subject.

As for the liquid cooling on the new HD engine. I say its over due and a good engineering decision. It would be smart to put it on all the HD’s. I say that because it would increase the power potential of the engine and a radiator doesn’t have to be ugly.

September 8, 2013 at 11:06 pm
(19) JD says:

Water-cooled has a place, for sure. But it also adds weight to the bike, not to mention additional maintenance. We all love nostalgia, especially as we age, so the retro look, sound, feel, and technology certainly have value. You can play football on a 100-yard field and feel every play and feel every hit. Or you can play football on a computer while never having to sweat, get hit, or get bruised up. The choice is personal.

Harley is a brand that has been here for longer than just about any of us (and I am 65), so there is obviously something about the company that is attractive to a huge market. Especially since I see many more Harleys than foreign bikes on travels throughout many states. The ratio may be as high as 10 to 1.

Personally, I favor the air-cooled motor since that was what I grew up with. Even the kick-start wouldn’t deter me. Of course, nowadays the motors are much larger and higher compression. But I could ride with anyone on a water-cooled machine and have a great time, maybe have a beer or two and talk about how our own motor is superior.

October 3, 2013 at 5:08 pm
(20) bob says:

God I Love My Shovelhead

October 20, 2013 at 10:44 am
(21) Ton Visser says:

Hi Bikers !!
That’s what you are , what ever you ride , have fun , stickup your hand / leg ,when we meet on the road , help each other if needed and just enjoy the wind in your face and the freedom of two wheels between your legs , stop arguing about , what bike you have , if you do so , you’re so poor in mind and heart , that you should ride a donkey !!
When I read all the comments from some of you , OMG , I wish some of you couldn’t write at all .
Live to ride – ride to live !!

March 16, 2014 at 1:18 pm
(22) BM says:

I Love my 05 RK COSTUM its BAD 2 THE BONE!!!!!! and I don’t put front tire on every 5k more like 10k cause HD built by AMERICANS !!! AMEN!