1. Autos

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Basem Wasef

2014 Honda Gold Wing Valkyrie: Return of the Bruiser

By November 20, 2013

2014 Honda Gold Wing Valkyrie

Honda Valkyrie fanatics are a passionate bunch, and they're about to get a whole lot happier: Big Red just announced the return of the Valkyrie, and the new power cruiser reinforces the "big is back" trend that we saw in the recently unveiled CTX1300.

In case you're not up to speed on Valkyrie lore, these hulking power cruisers originally roamed the earth from 1996 to 2003, packing the flat six powerplant plucked from the venerable (and considerably more mature) Honda Gold Wing. Valkyrie spinoffs have included the fantastical Honda Rune, and while futuristic concepts like the EVO 6 have since appeared, the new Valkyrie suggests a more traditional-- but bold-- return to the bike's shock-and-awe roots...

2014 Honda Valkyrie

The heart of the beast remains Honda's tried-and-true 1,832cc flat-six engine, hooked up to a five-speed gearbox that spins the rear wheel via shaft drive. Spin is the operative term here: With torque galore, a relatively narrow 180mm rear tire (made to appear even smaller thanks to the massive rear fender), and no traction control, this bike packs a ton of grunt without the annoyance of nannies. The new Valkyrie is also 154 pounds lighter than the 'Wing, promising livelier performance without the hulking saddlebags and bodywork. Weight distribution improves to 50/50, and seat height measures a (relatively low) 28.8 inches.

The Valkyrie will be available with ABS when it hits showrooms in Spring 2014, and is estimated to have a $17,000 price tag.

Related:

Photos Honda; Bottom photo Honda.

Comments
November 20, 2013 at 6:54 am
(1) joe says:

UGLY! I don’t see this doing any better then the Rune did.

November 20, 2013 at 10:33 am
(2) Scottie says:

Certainly less radical than the Rune, but not sure where they are going with this.

To me a cruiser is forward floorboards and relaxed ride. Never going to get that with the flat six.

November 20, 2013 at 11:49 am
(3) Dblastic says:

Those fenders have got to go! yikes.

November 20, 2013 at 12:00 pm
(4) Ric Taylor says:

Greetings! How about that. Honda must be able to read minds. I was seriously considering buying a used Goldwing, then “bobbing” it to become a mega cruiser. That is uncanny. Now, how about this. Produce aftermarket parts so that a “bobbed” Goldwing could be configured with relative ease. Am I dreaming? Why not! Ride Safe! GOD Bless.

November 20, 2013 at 2:04 pm
(5) Dennis says:

What’s uglier then a big radiator on the front of a motorcycle – 2 big radiators on the sides of a motorcycle.

November 20, 2013 at 9:54 pm
(6) FrankG says:

Fenders and exhaust are an easy fix…
With that said, changing these 2 parts and the bike will look awesome.
Love it!

November 22, 2013 at 4:34 pm
(7) three west says:

No thanks, if I was in the market I’d go with an F6B

November 24, 2013 at 2:55 pm
(8) Harold says:

Look Great! Doesn’t look like you typical old fart Harley cruiser. I’ll have one in April.

November 29, 2013 at 11:12 am
(9) Steve says:

I’ve seen uglier motorcycles, but I can’t remember when.

December 5, 2013 at 6:25 pm
(10) Rob Sylvia says:

I thought the Rocket was ugly…but it grew on me…this is ugly too, but each time I take a look I see potential for this bike to carry on the Valkyrie legacy. For me paint scemes, trimming the fenders…doing something with the headlight, a windshield….cool cust saddle bags might do the trick. But it really reminds my of the early Goldwind Standards of the Seventies.

December 6, 2013 at 5:51 pm
(11) DAW-ZEE says:

WHY THEY CONTINUE TO DO BURN-OUTS WITH THESE NEW BIKES I’LL NEVER KNOW. I’VE GOT A 14 YEAR OLD PICK-UP TRUCK THAT WILL LAY DOWN MORE SMOKE THAN ALL OF THEM PUT TOGETHER.