If you won't be able ride your motorcycle for a while, don't despair: this step-by-step will help you prep your bike for long term storage.
Depending on how long you'll be storing your bike, you'll want to make sure your bike emerges from deep storage as undamaged from rust, corrosion, and inactivity as possible.
Things you'll need:
- Cleaning items, including water, soap and towels for the exterior, and chain degreaser, engine cleaner, and WD-40.
- Fuel stabilizer, such as any manufacturer recommended brand or Sta-Bil.
- If you'll be changing your oil, the items listed in the oil change article.
- A battery tender or trickle charger.
- Wax for paint finishes.
- A bike cover or breathable fabric sheet.
- If your chain needs cleaning and/or lubrication, the items listed in the chain maintenance article.
- If you're willing to go the extra mile, so to speak, wood blocks or devices to lift the tires off the ground if your motorcycle isn't equipped with a center stand.
This tutorial is broken down into parts; to jump to a specific task, click on the appropriate link below, or go through the entire step-by-step process.