From the article: Motorcycling Safety Gear
Some people choose to wear a helmet for safety, but many people don a lid simply because it's the law. Do you have a helmet law where you live, and if so, is that the reason you wear a helmet? And if you don't have a helmet law, do you choose to wear one anyway-- or do you ride without a helmet? Let us know! Share your reason!
Most times YES.
- I live in the country away from traffic on a dirt road. Sometimes Ill go for a short ride without my helmet. But, anytime I take my KLR on the highway or in city traffic I put my helmet on. To me its more comfortable with a vented full face with a flip up visor. It blocks the wind out of my eyes at highway speed and it's also much warmer in the winter.
- —Guest Mike C.
Don't make me pay for your choice
- I also agree that if you choose to ride a motorcycle without a helmet, that's perfectly fine with me.... but that should be the contractual equivalent to "DNR" and "No public funds will be used to put me back together"
- WEAR HELMETS!!!!!! they will save your life, ain't it worth it?????
- —Guest GUEST KT
Do I wear a helmet
- Yes I do. Been down twice, hard. Hospitalized both times. The second time, the back of my head hit the pavement first. Even with a helmet on, I didn't come to until I was in the hospital with a concussion. I'm convinced that w/o it, I wouldn't be writing my response to this question now.
- —Guest RogerB
- Yes I wear a helmet; not because it's the law but because it smart. My chance of surviving a crash Increase with a helmet than without one. Also I think its cool to be helmeted.
- —Guest Kirk McMillan
- I live in Illinois, so helmet wear is personal choice. I wear mine in cool weather or rain. It is usually strapped to my solo rack otherwise. In 2010 I got cut-off by a teen-age twit swinging into my lane, clipping my front wheel at about 35 mph, Unable to recover, I (helmetless) went down, and tumbled a good bit resulting in a fair amount of road-rash but no other injuries (verified by CT scan at the ER). Thereafter, I wore my helmet when riding where there was road traffic, but not on the back roads close to my home. That was the 2nd time down without a helmet (no injuries the first time either). It ain't for cool looks, but for the pleasure of wind through the hair, and coolness in 90F weather.
- —Guest email@example.com
- I feel we are paying for insurance all ready. it should be up to the rider if they want to wear a helmet.
- —Guest hank
Respect the helmet
- ATGATT, this is my philosophy everytime I get on my motorcycle. Been riding since 1965 and have over 45 years in the saddle with no trips to the hospital. I remember many years ago while looking at helmets when money was a concern. The dealer finally settled my delima by stating "If you think your brain is only worth $10.00, then buy a $10.00 helmet" Delima solved!! Ride safe my friends.
- —Guest Buck DeShazo
I do and I don't !
- When it is really cold I sometimes wear one to keep warm....When Summer gets here it is way too hot to wear and I can not hear what is going on around me. I know I should wear one, but they are way too hot and unconfortable, especially in warm weather. And if I fall off my Goldwing at 65 mph I doubt that a helmet is really gonna do me any good !
- —Guest Bill
- Their can be no valid reason for riding a motorcycle without a helmet. only those with no regards for safety or life. would take such a chance.
Wearing a Helmet while Motorcycling
- Some people feel they have a brain worth protecting. Others do not. Upon reflection it occurs to me both groups are right.
- —Guest Larry Butler
Safety on a bike.
- Abate always said,"let those who ride decide" . Just like smoking. It's a crap shoot. You never know when some person is going to crash into you. A helmet just ups your chances of surviving.
- —Guest TF
Safe than Sorry
- I've gone down twice. The last time a cager cut me off, I hit the side of his car and went backwards. After my back hit the ground, then my head hit the pavement. I remember my head hitting so hard, that I heard a crack that was loud and scary. It was my helmet. Thank God, now I wear it w/o fail. I was safe and not sorry.
- —Guest PreacherMoD
why ride without a helmet
- I think people riding w/out one think it makes them more macho than the responsible scooter community who respect the law.Acting like James Dean is an old fashion.Only trashy riders blame the government for the helmet law.All these professional racers,stunt guys,hard core bikers,law abiding descent people,mechanics,those who have it as a hobby wear helmet.But those w/out helmet are probably borrowing the bike for a month or two,can't afford one or just being stupid with no life.You know a seasoned rider by all kind of protections he uses
- —Guest gio
- The unfortunate thing about you folks exercising your right to not wear a helmet is that it has a direct impact on my wallet. The expense of your medical care costs me money anyway you look at it. Either in higher motorcycle insurance rates, ro in hight healt insurance rates, but in either case it costs me. If it wasn't for my financial hit, I could care less if you want to become a vegatable.
1-15 of 283Next